Pelicans Report

Thread: The Ringer: Trade Holiday + Okafor to Heat for Herro, Nunn and Dragic...

Trade Idea The Ringer: Trade Holiday + Okafor to Heat for Herro, Nunn and Dragic...

With our slow start I suppose it was inevitable that the trade vultures would start circling.

The Ringer (linked below) is in pushing a deal where the Heat acquire not Chris Paul, but the Pels own Jrue Holiday.

It notes that it would be a bitter pill for Griff to trade Holiday given all the hype he generated in the offseason about Jrue being a potential MVP candidate, but goes on to say that Holiday's immense defensive gifts are being wasted on a team that can't play defense, liking him to a "shut down corner back" on an NFL defense that gives up 500 yards a game because teams can just throw away from him.

I'm a big Holiday fan, both as a player and a person. But in our situation there is always a question about whether you are facing facts or trying to hold on too long to something that has passed by. We got Favors, Redick and held on to Jrue with the idea that the Pels could compete for a playoff spot this year and to mentor our younger roster. But is J.J. Redick really going to spend the twilight of his NBA career mentoring others or does he want to finish out with a contender? Favors is on the final year of his deal. You can't be sure he'll stick around, especially given how things have gone so far.

Then there's Jrue who will turn 30 after this season and has an option after next year. Can we be sure he wants to end up with a young team struggling to build its identity? I think that's very questionable. He's done that already with the Pels and those guys are all gone.

So, if Miami, as The Ringer suggests, would offer some package including Herro, Nunn and a vet and/or a pick for Holiday + filler right now when his value may be highest, do you take it? Given where we are and the slim chance of this season turning around enough to make the post-season, I think I lean into the rebuild and make a deal. I admit this is in part because I really like Herro and think a big shooting guard like him is a perfect compliment for Zion in the backcourt. Flame away!

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1...day-chris-paul
    Last edited by new city champ; 12-11-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Lmao I do that trade and I don't look back.

As much as I like Jrue, Herro and Nunn have been killing it. My buddy is a die-hard Heat fan, and he can't stop raving about those two guys. Herro has been draining shots from all over the place, and he's automatic at free throws.

Does it happen? Probably not. Don't think Miami wants to move the two guys that have been helping them have one of the best records in the league, and I don't see Griff wanting to move Jrue at this point.

Bad trade imo.

Herro is a good player but I think he has limited upside. I'm massively out on Nunn because, frankly, I'm not a fan of having dudes with assault charges for which they aren't even apologetic on the team. I prefer not to be expected to root for horrible human beings, wherever possible.

Dragic is old and injury ridden, no thanks.

Swap out Nunn for Winslow and add picks, and it would be definitely worth the conversation, but imo if they want us to take Dragic (which yes, I understand, is largely a money matching issue) then that's worth an extra pick just by itself.

Edit: I'd also add that whether you're interested in this as a GM probably depends a little on which names you have as potential figures in the next draft. If you're expecting to be a bottom 3 team and you have your eyes set on Anthony Edwards, for example, it's probably not going to be that appealing to you to take back multiple young guards on a team that already has multiple young guards on it (NAW, Frank Jackson, Lonzo, Hart) unless you're also planning to move some of them.
    Basketball.

Yeah I think this is more damaged goods. I agree with Pelicanidae.

I’d do it. Hell, I’d do it for Herro alone. I don’t value Jrue and Oak half as much as most you guys though because even when they have been healthy we have been losing. Puff puff pass them guys to some other team and get real talent back.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I’d do it. Hell, I’d do it for Herro alone. I don’t value Jrue and Oak half as much as most you guys though because even when they have been healthy we have been losing. Puff puff pass them guys to some other team and get real talent back.
    That trade is essentially Jrue for Herro, and no matter how high you are on Herro, it's pretty much impossible to argue that he's on Jrue's level already despite how rough Jrue started this season.

There a package that could be built for Jrue. This is not that package. Winslow needs to be in there somewhere. Dragic would be a salary dump I'm assuming, I think he's either on the last year of his deal or 1 after this.

I don't like this trade. The pieces we would get back would not suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    I don't like this trade. The pieces we would get back would not suffice.
    And Miami does not have 1st rounders they can add for several years. Herro is a nice piece but they do not have much else outside of Adebayo (who they will not part with) or Winslow that fits our team.

Yeah if you're gonna rebuild... rebuild. I mentioned a while ago that I'd trade Jrue, and a big part of our defensive problems has to do with JJ Reddick... he can't guard anyone. I know that's not why he's on the floor, but you can't preach defense when your SG is such a huge liability.

I'd trade Jrue, JJ and Favors. Tear the whole thing down and rebuild it. Let the young guys get as many minutes as they can handle from here on because the more they see the floor the more experience they'll get. Get a new coaching staff in here for this young group of players once the season is over.

Nice of the Ringer to include the FB analogy so the Pels fans could understand.

Thread Information