Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 11th December - New Orleans Pelicans @ Milwaukee Bucks - 6-18

Quote Originally Posted by SeapeaNOLA View Post
    At this point Zion will never come back. If that rumor is true, none of this season matters anymore.
    I don't see any reason to believe that rumour until verification comes from a plausible source. Reggie doesn't count.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't see any reason to believe that rumour until verification comes from a plausible source. Reggie doesn't count.
    Based on how this season is going, I have no reason not to believe it. It would just figure now wouldn't it? Once again getting excited for virtually nothing.

Based on how this season is going, I have no reason not to believe it. It would just figure now wouldn't it? Once again getting excited for virtually nothing.
    When those primetime games get flexed out. Then, you'll now.

I mean, sure, but that's not generally how I work. If I'm going to believe something, I generally need evidence for it.

I mean, sure, but that's not generally how I work. If I'm going to believe something, I generally need evidence for it.
    With the NBA stressing over ratings. I don't think they let us sit a healthy Zion and not risk getting flexed out. They wouldn't let us sit AD for the season. So, i really believe that all signs point to him having to play.

So they don’t talk to him. Why are we keeping him around?

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    With the NBA stressing over ratings. I don't think they let us sit a healthy Zion and not risk getting flexed out. They wouldn't let us sit AD for the season. So, i really believe that all signs point to him having to play.
    Very true. If Zion is healthy and ready to go at any point in this season (and given his surgery, it would be very weird if he wasn't) there will be immense pressure to play him. Both from inside, and outside of the organisation.

Zion will want to play. The fans will want him to play. The league will want him to play. The advertisers will want him to play. The networks will want him to play.

And frankly, if he's healthy and has met some basic requirements to return, such as weight, there is absolutely no reason not to play him. He needs time for the NBA game to slow down for him, he needs some experience, he needs to develop in-game. He can't do that on the bench, and if he's willing and able to play there's no reason to delay it artificially.

Hall of Famer
    Kings win again switched over to a very entertaining game that a fun team

Lopez also noted that they do seem to communicate with Finch

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    So they don’t talk to him. Why are we keeping him around?

Gentry.... That's the sign that you've lost your team.

All of this reminds me of a line during the AD trade drama. AD wasn't having fun, anymore. I took it as maybe he didn't like playing the 5 or being on a losing team. I think it was Gentry system.

You watch our offense. It just looks like an unfun grind fest. Then, you go into practice. Then, you play a game. All that running just to run. It's not fun. After what happens to every player that comes here. They get injured. Boogie career is basically on life support.

All of this reminds me of a line during the AD trade drama. AD wasn't having fun, anymore. I took it as maybe he didn't like playing the 5 or being on a losing team. I think it was Gentry system.

You watch our offense. It just looks like an unfun grind fest. Then, you go into practice. Then, you play a game. All that running just to run. It's not fun. After what happens to every player that comes here. They get injured. Boogie career is basically on life support.
    In fairness, Boogie's career is on life support for reasons that can't be blamed on Gentry at all. Yes, he popped his Achilles here and that is absolutely terrible, and yes maybe his incredible minutes load at the time was part of that, sure, but since then he's also torn his hamstring and his ACL. Both of those injuries occurred when he was on different teams, when he had been receiving their medical care for basically a year, etc etc. Those injuries have contributed massively to his career being largely over, and they're nothing to do with Gentry.

I missed tonight’s game. By the sounds of things it looks like it was a good decision..... Gentry fired yet!?!?.... nope....ok.... nothing to see here... moving on....

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    This team is draining the life out of me.

Remember when we were all so excited? Good times.

In fairness, Boogie's career is on life support for reasons that can't be blamed on Gentry at all. Yes, he popped his Achilles here and that is absolutely terrible, and yes maybe his incredible minutes load at the time was part of that, sure, but since then he's also torn his hamstring and his ACL. Both of those injuries occurred when he was on different teams, when he had been receiving their medical care for basically a year, etc etc. Those injuries have contributed massively to his career being largely over, and they're nothing to do with Gentry.
    There are a ton of other players I could cherry pick from and you know it. You focus to intently on the career life support statement.

Payton
    Favors
    Ball
    Rondo
    Mirotic
    Jrue
    Etc.

There are a ton of other players I could cherry pick from and you know it. You focus to intently on the career life support statement.

Payton
    Favors
    Ball
    Rondo
    Mirotic
    Jrue
    Etc.
    I focus intently on what you said, because it's a pretty extreme statement.

We've had tons of injuries over the years, for sure. I'm never going to deny that. I just don't think it's a product of pace, at least not directly/purely. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if pace is all that it takes to drive up injuries, why is it that none of the other top 5 pace teams are even nearly as injury-prone as we are, and why are the bottom 5 pace teams absolutely ravaged by injury?

Of course, pace can play a part in it. Any possession carries the risk of injury, and the faster you play the more possessions there are. The framing of it as ''all that running just to run. It's not fun. After what happens to every player that comes here. They get injured.'' is unhelpful, though. More than just pace, things like horrible minutes management (a Gentry trademark) and a sloppy playstyle that requires reckless play at times are more likely drivers of injury than pace. Yes, that's also to blame on Gentry: I want Gentry fired too. But the way you phrased it made it sound like you were re-hashing the old ''pace'' argument.

Im just glad i didn't order league pass this year.. i was pretty close on pulling the trigger as well with all the hype and excitement the team had.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Im just glad i didn't order league pass this year.. i was pretty close on pulling the trigger as well with all the hype and excitement the team had.
    I'm guilty of doing it.

I focus intently on what you said, because it's a pretty extreme statement.

We've had tons of injuries over the years, for sure. I'm never going to deny that. I just don't think it's a product of pace, at least not directly/purely. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if pace is all that it takes to drive up injuries, why is it that none of the other top 5 pace teams are even nearly as injury-prone as we are, and why are the bottom 5 pace teams absolutely ravaged by injury?

Of course, pace can play a part in it. Any possession carries the risk of injury, and the faster you play the more possessions there are. The framing of it as ''all that running just to run. It's not fun. After what happens to every player that comes here. They get injured.'' is unhelpful, though. More than just pace, things like horrible minutes management (a Gentry trademark) and a sloppy playstyle that requires reckless play at times are more likely drivers of injury than pace. Yes, that's also to blame on Gentry: I want Gentry fired too. But the way you phrased it made it sound like you were re-hashing the old ''pace'' argument.
    To me there is a difference between pace and just running for the sake of running. What I see with this team is playground stuff. Poor shot selection, iso-ball, hero-ball, low assists, no one getting back, bad half court defense-- you name it. No real structure to anything.

Currently, Milwaukee, Houston and Washington are 1, 2 and 3 in pace, but they are also 2 (Milwaukee) and 3 (Houston) and 4 (Washington) in offensive efficiency. We are 4th in pace but 20th in offensive efficiency.

http://www.espn.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats

If per Gentry, pace is directly correlated to a team's offensive success, he is failing by his own metric. Our pace is leading to nothing tangible. And I do believe we are burning these guys up. 2 things can be true. I think guys get injured more here because the play style is reckless and also because our guys have no legs because we are running up and down and it isn't leading to anything. Guys are pressing and doing crazy stuff to try and score because they are tired of the offensive futility. On defense they are lunging and falling down because they are always out of position. It's really shouldn't be a surprise that they get hurt playing that way.
    Last edited by Dr. Sting; 12-12-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

Shot 45 threes and scored 36 points in the paint.

This is losing basketball. Always has been and always will be.

But hey "we just gotta make shots."

Grif needs to change something now!

Which players are being selfish exactly?

I see them trying to execute what they are being asked. The problem is clearly what they are being asked.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Which players are being selfish exactly?

I see them trying to execute what they are being asked. The problem is clearly what they are being asked.
    Yea I don’t see selfishness at all when watching.

If anything, we struggle more because we don’t have a real alpha dog.

That’s a weird take.

Thread Information