Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fire Griffin if he doesn't fire Gentry

Fire Griffin if he doesn't fire Gentry

If Griffin keeps gentry. Fire them both

I understand your frustration, but do you really believe there is any way Griffin or Gentry gets fired? Even if Zion had been healthy and playing for the first quarter of the season, it is too early in Griffin's team plan to be firing the head coach. While I believe Griffin/Gentry wanted to compete for the playoffs this season, I think they were realistic too. Once Zion returns, Griffin/Langdon/Gentry will have an opportunity to evaluate the team, how they fit together and how they want to move forward.

I don't like losing either, especially the way they lost to Dallas yesterday, but Griffin isn't going anywhere and I don't think Gentry is either, at least until the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    I understand your frustration, but do you really believe there is any way Griffin or Gentry gets fired? Even if Zion had been healthy and playing for the first quarter of the season, it is too early in Griffin's team plan to be firing the head coach. While I believe Griffin/Gentry wanted to compete for the playoffs this season, I think they were realistic too. Once Zion returns, Griffin/Langdon/Gentry will have an opportunity to evaluate the team, how they fit together and how they want to move forward.

I don't like losing either, especially the way they lost to Dallas yesterday, but Griffin isn't going anywhere and I don't think Gentry is either, at least until the end of the season.
    I mostly agree, except for the section in bold.

It doesn't matter if we go undefeated for 20 games as soon as Zion comes back. There's nothing to evaluate with Gentry. He is a bad coach. All us looking good when Zion returns will do is put makeup on the pig: we suck. Yes, a generational talent of a player can cover that sometimes, like Lebron's endless winning records during his first stint of Cleveland covered the despicable rosters around him, but that doesn't change the fact that the core is rotten.

Gentry's coached so many years in the NBA that his head coaching career is old enough to start learning to drive. And he has had a winning record a third of that time. With the Pels, he has a 43% winning percentage. He's a bad coach. His problems today are the same as they were three years ago. There's nothing to evaluate. Gentry needs to move on.
    Basketball.

I was speaking more in terms of personnel and how they want to proceed with that. I also believe that Gentry should be replaced, but I just don't see it happening until the front office sits down at (or toward) the end of the season and they evaluate what they want to do moving forward. I think they will allow Gentry the opportunity to show what they can do with the players they expected to have at the start of the season. If they show significant progress, Gentry could even be retained. If they don't, it will provide all of the cover they need to make a change of coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    I was speaking more in terms of personnel and how they want to proceed with that. I also believe that Gentry should be replaced, but I just don't see it happening until the front office sits down at (or toward) the end of the season and they evaluate what they want to do moving forward. I think they will allow Gentry the opportunity to show what they can do with the players they expected to have at the start of the season. If they show significant progress, Gentry could even be retained. If they don't, it will provide all of the cover they need to make a change of coaches.
    Well that's kinda what I'm talking about.

I'm totally understanding of the fact that the front office won't want to fire him until season-end, because the whole interim HC thing is very disruptive and it essentially means either you retain that guy (which means you don't do a full-on coach search) or you have to do 2 HC changes in one season (practically speaking) which is all very pants.

But for me, it's the ''if they show significant progress'' part that worries me. It doesn't matter what progress they show. Gentry needs to be gone from the HC position, whether they look better with Zion and Favors or not. We know that he is a bad head coach: we have over a decade of evidence to show it, and recent results do not really show improvement. You cannot allow the generational talent of someone like Zion to cover that up and just allow that rot to fester beneath the bandage. That idea that we play the season out and then sit down to ''evaluate'' Gentry is absurd.

Y'all wild.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Firing Gentry mid-season does NOTHING to benefit the team.

NOTHING. Don't talk about "don't want him to ruin Zion" don't say some stupid existential mumbo jumbo.

It's catharsis.

And I won't even mention the fire Griffin nonsense further than this sentence.

The elephant in the room to me is this:

If Zion comes back and we start playing well, it will come down to Zion, Ingram, and maybe a little bit of Hayes long term opinion of Gentry. It may not even be a direct verbal question but a audience psychological opinion of how Griffin and Langdon view things like communication and body language from afar between them.

Right now from my standpoint, Gentry’s gone. I don’t know what goes on in that locker room but I haven’t picked up the vibe that Gentry has their 100% confidence to the point it shines through during sideline interactions to be able to survive this. Griffin and Langdon are closer to the action than me and I think that’s what they will base it on. This losing drought to me will shine a light on those things.

Jesus Christ... this place is doomed

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Firing Gentry mid-season does NOTHING to benefit the team.

NOTHING. Don't talk about "don't want him to ruin Zion" don't say some stupid existential mumbo jumbo.

It's catharsis.

And I won't even mention the fire Griffin nonsense further than this sentence.
    That’s just not true. You can argue as to how much affect a new coach can have midseason, but anyone that brings structure and prevents the chaos that is currently going on in this team would be welcome. You just seem close-minded about certain things which are very logical. I’m not saying your completely wrong, but it’s unfair to impose your opinion on others as if there your truth is the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    That’s just not true. You can argue as to how much affect a new coach can have midseason, but anyone that brings structure and prevents the chaos that is currently going on in this team would be welcome. You just seem close-minded about certain things which are very logical. I’m not saying your completely wrong, but it’s unfair to impose your opinion on others as if there your truth is the only one.
    Please. Dudes do that all the time on here. Just trying to fit in.

Please. Dudes do that all the time on here. Just trying to fit in.
    Fair enough. I can’t hate the player

Why are people defending Gentry? Do they get free tickets from him(Because they can’t sell em) or something?

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Why are people defending Gentry? Do they get free tickets from him(Because they can’t sell em) or something?
    No idea. It’s one of the weirdest things. He has done nothing but lose and make excuses. The Gentry fans must know him personally. That’s the only reason I can think of.

I mean I would hate to be on the sales staff right now. How do you sell a ****** product? Tell'em he might get fired at the end of the year? Do they have Lemon Laws for people that bought season tickets?

I don't give two urinations about Gentry. I saw the dude in Costco one day. He was buying a printer. Dude is boring AF.

We will never fire Gentry midseason. Zero chance in hell.

I don't give two urinations about Gentry. I saw the dude in Costco one day. He was buying a printer. Dude is boring AF.

A printer? WTF? Tell us the story!

I do think that most people who are calling for immediate termination are letting themselves be over eager.

As I've said elsewhere, the whole interim HC thing is a big pain in the neck and can even hinder the coaching search later on. So Gentry can stay for the rest of this season, for those reasons, but should be let go immediately after that.

Show me an instance of someone defending Gentry? What I see are people who (rightly, in my opinion) are saying that the end of the season is the right time to make that move.

He needed to print something.

There’s nothing to tell except I’ve seen into Jameer Nelson, Cousins, Alvin Kamara, Frank Jackson, and Jrue’s wife and those interactions were infinitely more remarkable than Gentry placidly staring at printers while on the phone before selecting one. Probably went with a Canon.

I will only fire Gentry if he refuses to play NAW and Hayes. It's my only fire-able offense. Let him finish out the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I will only fire Gentry if he refuses to play NAW and Hayes. It's my only fire-able offense. Let him finish out the year.
    I direct you to the fact that in the last 8 games, NAW has not played a single minute in 4 of them, and has averaged 9.8 minutes per game in the other 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I direct you to the fact that in the last 8 games, NAW has not played a single minute in 4 of them, and has averaged 9.8 minutes per game in the other 4.
    It was worse than that... up until the last few games. He was benched for about 6 or 7 games. He is letting him play. So, I'm off the fire bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    It was worse than that... up until the last few games. He was benched for about 6 or 7 games. He is letting him play. So, I'm off the fire bandwagon.
    His game log for the last 10 games:

V Golden State - 34:31
    V Portland - 15:35
    @ Phoenix - 1:35
    @ Utah - DNP-CD
    @ Clippers - 3:27
    V Lakers - DNP-CD
    @ OKC - DNP-CD
    V OKC - DNP-CD
    V Dallas - 12:00
    V Phoenix - 10:42
    @ Dallas - 21:29

So basically in his last ten games, NAW has registered 4 DNPs, played under 5 minutes twice, and played over 20 minutes twice.

Hooray for Gentry

Thread Information