Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: That has to be the nail in the coffin

I will not watch another game until gentry is fired.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    It’s only human to try and support the head coach through thick and thin. Problem is, if you wait too long for success, you fall into the realm of complacency and you don’t really get anywhere. Gayle needs to let go. Griffin needs full permission to be able to clean house. We need to rid ourselves of the rot we have accumulated over the years. That won’t happen if you keep the rot general on the payroll.

Ownership needs to take a step back. If you invested all this money in bringing in these guys, you need to let them do their jobs.
    Totally agreed.

Let Gentry finish out this year if you must. Fine. I get if they don't want to do the whole interim HC thing, with Finch or whatever.

But if Gentry is still head coach by the draft, there's been a serious failure.
    Basketball.

Worse than just losing in my mind is the idea that if the team can just hang on until Zion arrives, things will get sorted out. This mind set seems to be becoming more prominent in the media as the situation with the Pels grows more dire. But Griff had it right over the summer. It remains totally wrong to expect a 19-year old rookie step on the court and somehow fix this mess, especially when that rookie is coming off rehabbing an injury and trying to find his way in the NBA. You brought in vets for a reason. You kept Holiday for a reason. They are all being paid very well for their services. If this is Jrue’s team demand that he start leading it. If this is the best he and the other vets can do, then admit you made a mistake and tear the whole thing down to the studs. You aren’t getting much for your money anyway. As for Favors, I’m not even going to ask because when I did on another board a bunch of Millennials got triggered that someone could even dare ask how long he would be away, despite the fact that he, you know, signed a contract paying him millions of dollars to play basketball for the Pelicans, presumably sometime during the confines of the half year the season lasts.
    This starts with Gayle Benson demanding accountability. She made major investments in this franchise and has seen very little return on her investment to date. It continues with David Griifin and Trajan Langdon who were charged with charting a new course for our franchise. One or both of them needs to be consistently vocal about both what is wrong and how they plan to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Carolina Panthers fired their coach in-season!
    So did the Knicks!

IMO there is no way Gentry is fired before Zion ever takes the court.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Gentry won’t be fired. I don’t think Griff wants to be viewed that way. He’s a people person. If Zion and Favors play, but the Pels continue to lose, I can see Griffs hand being forced. In other words, injuries are still preventing Alvin from being fired. They are hiding his terrible coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiewoof View Post
    IMO there is no way Gentry is fired before Zion ever takes the court.
    There goes his other meniscus

I just checked, and at 8 games, this current losing streak ties our longest losing streak in the Gentry Era. I believe (though I didn't do a thorough count so maybe I'm wrong) that it also ties the largest losing streak post-Pelicans name change.

One more loss, and the ''Pelicans'' (with that name) have a new franchise longest losing streak.

I could be wrong, I didn't individually count every single losing streak (basketball-reference has a visual graphic to show W/L record across a season and I just counted the obvious win-droughts, so maybe one of them went on one longer than I saw), but I think that's true.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I just checked, and at 8 games, this current losing streak ties our longest losing streak in the Gentry Era. I believe (though I didn't do a thorough count so maybe I'm wrong) that it also ties the largest losing streak post-Pelicans name change.

One more loss, and the ''Pelicans'' (with that name) have a new franchise longest losing streak.

I could be wrong, I didn't individually count every single losing streak (basketball-reference has a visual graphic to show W/L record across a season and I just counted the obvious win-droughts, so maybe one of them went on one longer than I saw), but I think that's true.
    This one could be 15 or so. Out of all the teams, I don’t feel like this one has any motivation to end the streak soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    This one could be 15 or so. Out of all the teams, I don’t feel like this one has any motivation to end the streak soon.
    Personally, I feel like this streak will snap on the 21st vs the Warriors. The loss streak will be 14 at that point. So 15 certainly isn't unbelievable.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
    Pop could certainly improve it
    Spurs are currently 3 wins better than us.

I guess we would be better...

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

And again, their roster is absolute crap and led by a 34 year old Aldridge. And they are 3 wins above us, so yes, Pop would improve us. He’d improve virtually any team.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Comparing apples to oranges?

YOU JUST GOT BLOWN OUT BY 40+ POINTS!

INTERESTING

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2016/...eams_that.html

Cavaliers can Blatt, winningest coach to get a pink slip (2015-16)

A year after taking a team burdened by injury to the NBA Finals, David Blatt had the Cavs leading the Eastern Conference at 30-11. But he was given a pink slip on Friday, when General Manager David Griffin told reporters that the team was lacking connection. That made Blatt the winningest coach in NBA history, by a measure of percentage, to be fired mid-season.

Player favorite Tyronne Lue takes over for the East's most viable championship contender.

I’m sure that was Lebron’s demand. I know Griffin said he regretted a lot from his tenure in Cleveland and has been big on treating the organization like family.

So, i doubt he fires anybody mid season just because then he kind of looks like hypocrite who turns on his people to some. I mean not me.. i get it. Hope i’m wrong though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea... let’s not pretend like there’s any pressure on Griffin to fire Gentry.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It doesn't matter. It won't happen. Not in a million years. I'd stake your life on it.

Dallas just lost to the Kings in Dallas.

Dallas only went to the line 8 times against the Kings. Last 2 games against us they went 27 and 31 times.

There is clearly a problem on the sidelines over here. If they get rid of Gentry, Bzdelik needs to follow him out. Defense has been beyond atrocious on every level.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...g-Alvin-Gentry

this is depressing. I can't believe he's really gonna get a chance to work with zion. I guess it won't make much a difference anyway, we won't be winning too many games regardless. It just bothers me that monty williams got such a short leash and gentry has been given all this time.

They cannot continue to use the not having Zion excuse anymore because even with him the Pels would still lose
    a lot of these games. The coaching scheme is horrendous and the players are playing like it. The need a new
    voice and it cannot wait until the end of the regular season. I'm sure Mrs. Benson sees all of the empty seats.

I will watch every game regardless, however, BS like this telling the fan base that our budget hire needs more time is a joke. Gentry is running a 7 second offense with maybe 2 shooters on the team, if you include Ingram as a shooter. Our defense is a joke and the players seem to care less and less every game. So how the heck will a rookie and Favors turn this team into the worse team to an average team?? THERE IS NO FUTURE WITH GENTRY, NEVER DID OR NEVER WILL. At this point I rather Jeff Bzdelik be the Interim and completely change our philosophy to defense first. We may have the greatest defender in Jrue and we run an offense that doesn't bring that skill to its maximum value.

You know our organization is screwed when I actually miss Monty and losing 85-75, instead of 140-120.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Yeah, let’s be real here. We literally could not be any more lost under Gentry. Most coaches would improve us.
    Coach O would be a better option right now.

Gentry is gonna be here another 5 years if injuries gives him another free pass.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    A good coach will most definitely improve things. Talent isnt the issue. Especially whenever Favors and Zion get on the court.

Speaking of Favors wtf is going on there? I understand needing some time off after your mom passes away. Ive been there. But I've seen players on the field the next day dedicating games to lost ones.

That situation is getting weird.
    Maybe those players had a support system to handle arrangements and grieve differently. No matter what's going on, it's his mom's passing. ******** basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Maybe those players had a support system to handle arrangements and grieve differently. No matter what's going on, it's his mom's passing. ******** basketball.
    Something else must be going on. It has been 2 weeks. That would seem to be more than reasonable on the Pelicans' part.

Thread Information