Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: That has to be the nail in the coffin

Hall of Famer

That has to be the nail in the coffin

So I missed the game and just checked the score...wow

How can Gentry work another game? They loss by 46 , 4 away from a 50 piece. If they are this bad and it's not gentry fault they need to go to the G league

I love the narrative that Gentry’s wins and losses are a poor argument to judge him by, his system works.

Folks, if his system works he wouldn’t only have 5 winning seasons out of 17. The Titanic was a great ship, it just didn’t do well when around icebergs.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Doesnt matter who's actual fault it is because this isnt the result of one person. It's a cluster ****.

That said, the leadership is shot. Players will not buy in. You have no choice but to make a move.

Yea, I wasn't on the "Fire Gentry" train before because I thought we should just ride it out. But after watching today's excruciating performance, it's pretty clear the players have either completely tuned him and the staff out, or they don't even have a semblance of a clue what they're supposed to be doing on the court 20 games in. Neither is acceptable and while Gentry seems like a nice guy, he needs to take a nice paid vacation while we regroup.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It won’t matter. Coach Pop couldn’t fix this team. So firing Gentry is about catharsis than anything that would be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It won’t matter. Coach Pop couldn’t fix this team. So firing Gentry is about catharsis than anything that would be beneficial.
    Pop could certainly improve it

At least make it entertaining. It is not even entertaining anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
    Pop could certainly improve it
    Yeah, let’s be real here. We literally could not be any more lost under Gentry. Most coaches would improve us.

A good coach will most definitely improve things. Talent isnt the issue. Especially whenever Favors and Zion get on the court.

Speaking of Favors wtf is going on there? I understand needing some time off after your mom passes away. Ive been there. But I've seen players on the field the next day dedicating games to lost ones.

That situation is getting weird.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    A good coach will most definitely improve things. Talent isnt the issue. Especially whenever Favors and Zion get on the court.

Speaking of Favors wtf is going on there? I understand needing some time off after your mom passes away. Ive been there. But I've seen players on the field the next day dedicating games to lost ones.

That situation is getting weird.
    Why put Zion out there with that cr@p on the court? Odds are he will get injured again. Would you trust Alvin with your crystal?

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Why put Zion out there with that cr@p on the court? Odds are he will get injured again. Would you trust Alvin with your crystal?
    Why are odds that he will get injured again? One person is out there causing injuries?

Why are odds that he will get injured again? One person is out there causing injuries?
    Historically, YES

Alvin just lurking on the sidelines with a kendo stick ready to go Sandman on half the roster
    Basketball.

You have to send a message that mediocrity (and less than mediocrity) is not acceptable. There is a reason AD left. There is a reason AD is succeeding away from here.

We are trying to build a winning culture. Selling our players on a long term plan with this guy at the helm is just detrimental to our growth. The longer we keep him, the more poison enters the veins. Time for healing I say

Carolina Panthers fired their coach in-season!

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    You have to send a message that mediocrity (and less than mediocrity) is not acceptable. There is a reason AD left. There is a reason AD is succeeding away from here.

We are trying to build a winning culture. Selling our players on a long term plan with this guy at the helm is just detrimental to our growth. The longer we keep him, the more poison enters the veins. Time for healing I say
    So what you're saying is that we need Lebron James?

Joking. A bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    So what you're saying is that we need Lebron James?

Joking. A bit.
    That’s kind of my point though. Lebron alone brings a winning culture. Gentry can singlehandedly turn a winning culture into a losing one. We need someone else to lead these boys. Gentry ain’t it

I’ll gladly take Lebron over this ****

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I’ll gladly take Lebron over this ****
    Lebron for head coach? The Peliking?

That’s kind of my point though. Lebron alone brings a winning culture. Gentry can singlehandedly turn a winning culture into a losing one. We need someone else to lead these boys. Gentry ain’t it
    I totally agree on that.

I said when Griff got hired that I wanted Gentry gone too. I gave Gentry a lot more lee-way than some of the guys on this board, in regards to past seasons, but by then I recognised (as many others did too, I'm not claiming I had some special take here lol) that it was just time to clean house. Whatever Gentry is, it's not a winning head coach for the Pelicans, so move on.

Then Griff kept Gentry on, and a lot of people argued that it was an understandable move because of the desire to maintain some continuity, to keep an element of stability when everything else was changing, and because there weren't exactly head coaches lining up to replace him. I didn't really buy that, because imo you should always take a risk in circumstances like this: hiring some coaching prospect may not pay off, but we know keeping Gentry is a bad move, so why not accept the risk and swing for upside? But, I was willing to accept it because Rome wasn't built in a day.

Now Gentry's proving beyond all shadow of a doubt that he's not the one. We are 6-17, having suffered 8 straight losses including several blowouts; one of these blowouts is the worst loss we've had since the franchise name change. Looking at our upcoming games, I think it's very possible that we end up 6-23 before our next win (Golden State game on the 21st). That would be 14 straight losses. The team looks disinterested. I haven't been in that locker room but I would not be surprised if Gentry has lost the guys completely.

The offense has been Gentry's calling card for years. Every year, our defense has been underwhelming, and pretty much every year we've had a good offense. When people criticise the team, the response has been ''yeah but Erman does the defense: offense is Gentry's thing, look how good the offense is!''

Well, now the offense stinks too. Get him out of here! Don't let this rub off on the young players. I do not want Gentry managing Zion/Naw/Jax's development for any longer than we absolutely have to. He's a bad coach. That's just what it is. I don't doubt that he can produce winning seasons every now and again when he has a roster that's playing like monsters, but if you need to have perennial MVP candidates doing MVP stuff every year just to crack .500, you suck as a coach. That simple.

Fire. Gentry.

I totally agree on that.

I said when Griff got hired that I wanted Gentry gone too. I gave Gentry a lot more lee-way than some of the guys on this board, in regards to past seasons, but by then I recognised (as many others did too, I'm not claiming I had some special take here lol) that it was just time to clean house. Whatever Gentry is, it's not a winning head coach for the Pelicans, so move on.

Then Griff kept Gentry on, and a lot of people argued that it was an understandable move because of the desire to maintain some continuity, to keep an element of stability when everything else was changing, and because there weren't exactly head coaches lining up to replace him. I didn't really buy that, because imo you should always take a risk in circumstances like this: hiring some coaching prospect may not pay off, but we know keeping Gentry is a bad move, so why not accept the risk and swing for upside? But, I was willing to accept it because Rome wasn't built in a day.

Now Gentry's proving beyond all shadow of a doubt that he's not the one. We are 6-17, having suffered 8 straight losses including several blowouts; one of these blowouts is the worst loss we've had since the franchise name change. Looking at our upcoming games, I think it's very possible that we end up 6-23 before our next win (Golden State game on the 21st). That would be 14 straight losses. The team looks disinterested. I haven't been in that locker room but I would not be surprised if Gentry has lost the guys completely.

The offense has been Gentry's calling card for years. Every year, our defense has been underwhelming, and pretty much every year we've had a good offense. When people criticise the team, the response has been ''yeah but Erman does the defense: offense is Gentry's thing, look how good the offense is!''

Well, now the offense stinks too. Get him out of here! Don't let this rub off on the young players. I do not want Gentry managing Zion/Naw/Jax's development for any longer than we absolutely have to. He's a bad coach. That's just what it is. I don't doubt that he can produce winning seasons every now and again when he has a roster that's playing like monsters, but if you need to have perennial MVP candidates doing MVP stuff every year just to crack .500, you suck as a coach. That simple.

Fire. Gentry.
    Applause emoji. Wonderful rant. All true. I was against Demps signing Gentry before it was cool (I joke but not really), but I’m glad you have joined they whiny baby allaince. Hire Lebron. Fire Gentry

I totally agree on that.

Fire. Gentry.

Beautiful just beautiful job on this rant. Right on the mark!

Our voice will get louder. We shall not be silenced. Those who believe that Gentry should stay on through the end of the season will be squashed under our heels.

Applause emoji. Wonderful rant. All true. I was against Demps signing Gentry before it was cool (I joke but not really), but I’m glad you have joined they whiny baby allaince. Hire Lebron. Fire Gentry
    The thing is, I've tried to be balanced on Gentry in the past I remember defending him at several points in the last few years, trying to give him all of the benefit of the doubt that I can.

But the fact is, as of today, he's 151-200 as Pelicans HC. That's a winning percentage of 43%, and for several of those years he had AD. If you remove the year we won 48 games (which was an outlier, because it was by far our most successful year during the Gentry era and those wins were due to AD going nuts, not him) then it's a 38% winning percentage.

If you coach over 350 games for a team and can't give them a winning percentage better than 43% despite having a top 5 player on your team, there's an issue. Of course there have been roster issues, nobody is denying that. But Gentry isn't the only coach who has dealt with some difficulties.

When Brad Stevens got the job in Boston he was a rookie head coach with 0 NBA level experience, taking over a gutted roster. They won 25 games his first year there. Somehow, his winning percentage as a head coach is 56% despite starting off worse than Gentry ever had to deal with here, and despite things like Kyrie Irving trying to burn down the entire team last year.

Or look at Pop: yes, I get that he's arguably the greatest HC ever, but look at the Spurs over the last few years. Since 2016-17, they've lost Manu and Tony Parker. Kawhi Leonard sat out basically an entire year, then they lost him. Somehow, the Spurs have gone 165-104 in that time period, good for a winning percentage of 61%.

Obviously I'm not expecting Gentry to make this team win 60 games this year, that's silly. But a winning percentage of around 40% just is not good enough to justify a 6th year of Gentry.

The thing is, I've tried to be balanced on Gentry in the past I remember defending him at several points in the last few years, trying to give him all of the benefit of the doubt that I can.

But the fact is, as of today, he's 151-200 as Pelicans HC. That's a winning percentage of 43%, and for several of those years he had AD. If you remove the year we won 48 games (which was an outlier, because it was by far our most successful year during the Gentry era and those wins were due to AD going nuts, not him) then it's a 38% winning percentage.

If you coach over 350 games for a team and can't give them a winning percentage better than 43% despite having a top 5 player on your team, there's an issue. Of course there have been roster issues, nobody is denying that. But Gentry isn't the only coach who has dealt with some difficulties.

When Brad Stevens got the job in Boston he was a rookie head coach with 0 NBA level experience, taking over a gutted roster. They won 25 games his first year there. Somehow, his winning percentage as a head coach is 56% despite starting off worse than Gentry ever had to deal with here, and despite things like Kyrie Irving trying to burn down the entire team last year.

Or look at Pop: yes, I get that he's arguably the greatest HC ever, but look at the Spurs over the last few years. Since 2016-17, they've lost Manu and Tony Parker. Kawhi Leonard sat out basically an entire year, then they lost him. Somehow, the Spurs have gone 165-104 in that time period, good for a winning percentage of 61%.

Obviously I'm not expecting Gentry to make this team win 60 games this year, that's silly. But a winning percentage of around 40% just is not good enough to justify a 6th year of Gentry.
    It’s only human to try and support the head coach through thick and thin. Problem is, if you wait too long for success, you fall into the realm of complacency and you don’t really get anywhere. Gayle needs to let go. Griffin needs full permission to be able to clean house. We need to rid ourselves of the rot we have accumulated over the years. That won’t happen if you keep the rot general on the payroll.

Ownership needs to take a step back. If you invested all this money in bringing in these guys, you need to let them do their jobs.

Thread Information