Pelicans Report

Thread: Defense

Defense

How important is defense? Just a basic stat no fancy advanced analytics just points given up on average
    1 Wizards 121.9
    2 Pelicans 119.7
    3 Hawks 117.8
    4 Grizzlies 116.5
    5 Twolves 115.9
    6 Blazers 115.7
    7 Spurs 115.4
    8 Rockets 115.2
    9 Suns 114.1
    10 Warriors 114.0
    Only one team the Rockets have a winning record.Building a team just emphasizing outscoring opponents won't work.You still need a defense that is at least average.This is why D'Antoni will never win a ring.Gentry is from that same style of play.

My favourite quote on this topic came from Davis Bertans, who is currently on the Wizards and is shooting lights out for them. Just being insanely efficient offensively.

''We're scoring 140 points every game and mostly losing, which is ridiculous. We don't even have to play great defense, or even good defense, we just have to play a little bit below average [to win].''

That's basically it. If your offense is nuclear (ours is very much not nuclear lol) then you don't even have to be great on defense, you just have to be kind of mediocre and it'll let you win, at least in the regular season.
    Basketball.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    I don’t even think Gentry knows what kind of coach he is. He doesn’t even realize they are losing cause of the defense. Most of his excuses are offensive execution and making shots. It’s never, “If we would have gotten some stops.” It’s not realistic for a team to play at his level of expectations offensively. He expects them to just out score opponents by running around and shooting 3s.

Last in offense too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I don’t even think Gentry knows what kind of coach he is. He doesn’t even realize they are losing cause of the defense. Most of his excuses are offensive execution and making shots. It’s never, “If we would have gotten some stops.” It’s not realistic for a team to play at his level of expectations offensively. He expects them to just out score opponents by running around and shooting 3s.
    He knows it and has talked about it. Thats why they went and got Bzdelik.

His problem is he doesnt seem to emphasize the main tenant of basketball.

In football, its whoever controls the line of scrimmage wins the game.

In basketball, its whoever controls the paint wins the game.

"40 threes a game" Gentry seems more concerned with what happens 25 ft away.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    He knows it and has talked about it. Thats why they went and got Bzdelik.

His problem is he doesnt seem to emphasize the main tenant of basketball.

In football, its whoever controls the line of scrimmage wins the game.

In basketball, its whoever controls the paint wins the game.

"40 threes a game" Gentry seems more concerned with what happens 25 ft away.
    Well said

Quote Originally Posted by Wecandothis View Post
    How important is defense? Just a basic stat no fancy advanced analytics just points given up on average
    1 Wizards 121.9
    2 Pelicans 119.7
    3 Hawks 117.8
    4 Grizzlies 116.5
    5 Twolves 115.9
    6 Blazers 115.7
    7 Spurs 115.4
    8 Rockets 115.2
    9 Suns 114.1
    10 Warriors 114.0
    Only one team the Rockets have a winning record.Building a team just emphasizing outscoring opponents won't work.You still need a defense that is at least average.This is why D'Antoni will never win a ring.Gentry is from that same style of play.
    D'Antoni hasn't won a ring already for a variety of reasons: his owner was cheap, they lost a young Joe Johnson, Robert Horry slammed Steve Nash into the scorer's table, and the Rockets went 0-27 from three. To say he'll never win a ring because of defense is kind of silly. He might not win a ring (almost all coaches don't!) but I'd never say never.

Interesting how playing defense can change the situation.When I posted this the Pelicans were giving up 119 points a game and in the midst of losing 13 games in a row. In the last six games they have given up 101.5 points a game and have won 5 out of 6. Looks like coach has emphasized playing better D and its working.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wecandothis View Post
    Interesting how playing defense can change the situation.When I posted this the Pelicans were giving up 119 points a game and in the midst of losing 13 games in a row. In the last six games they have given up 101.5 points a game and have won 5 out of 6. Looks like coach has emphasized playing better D and its working.
    DERRICK. FAVORS ! Period!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    DERRICK. FAVORS ! Period!
    Favors has been huge. I really like Hayes as far as upside but he needs a lot of work. Lonzo seems to have really stepped up on defense too.

Experience, continuity, familiarity, an anchor on defense. There's so many factors going into. It's like a shotgun blast.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Basketball Guru
    lonzo,,jrue,,moore,,,hart,,ingram and favors have been the 6 players gentry has gone with to close out games lately.......to me shorter rotations has help the defense get better also...

Thread Information