Pelicans Report

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: 5th December - New Orleans Pelicans VS Phoenix Suns - 6-15

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    OMG, for the most part, we agree!!!

Since you are the stat guru, can you find out what team in the league gives up the most uncontested layups atm?
    I can't right find that stat, unfortunately. It's possible to find which teams contest the most 2 point attempts (Milwaukee, OKC, Brooklyn, Portland, San Antonio) and it also happens to be 4 of those 5 teams (all but Portland) fall within the top 10 in limiting at-rim shooting attempts per Cleaning the Glass, which tells you that they're likely to be the top teams in terms of contesting inside attempts and therefore give up the fewest uncontested layups, but it's not definitive.
    Basketball.

Didi out there supporting

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He'll be playing with them soon enough.

Some advanced stats from this game (minimum of 15 minutes played)

Best Net Rating: Jaxson Hayes, +3.5
    Worst Net Rating: Josh Hart, -31.4

Most Screen Assists: Hayes and Melli tied with 2 each
    Most Deflections: Jrue, with 10
    Most Loose Balls Recovered: Jrue, with 3
    Most 2pt Shots Contested: Jaxson, with 10
    Most 3pt Shots Contested: Jaxson, with 7
    Most Overall Contests: Jaxson, with 17
    Most Boxouts: Jaxson and Jrue tied with 6 each
    Most Points in the Paint: Jrue with 16, followed by Jax with 12

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    All I gotta say is Brandon Ingram is incredible. In 2 years he will be arguably the best SF in the NBA.
    Is Giannis, Kawhi and Doncic gonna die or something?

Loss I can live with. But another game where they went flat for about a 10 minute stretch and let things get out of hand. Obviously Lonzo’s best game as a Pel. Forget that he shot lights out, he took the right kind of shots—spot up 3s from the short corners and driving lay ups. Thought he showed good court vision on good passing instincts, for the most part. This version of Lonzo has value.

Interested to hear Griff’s remarks finally. Nothing earth shattering but good to hear the disgust in his voice when talking about our defense. Maybe he’ll do something about it. Mildly disturbing that he seemed to chalk most our troubles to not having Derek Favors available. As I wrote a few days ago, if the margin between us being a bottom feeding defense and respectable is Derek Favors, someone screwed up the roster. Oh we lost our journeyman free agent center who we have on a one year deal? Guess we can’t stop anybody until he makes it back...

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    As I wrote a few days ago, if the margin between us being a bottom feeding defense and respectable is Derek Favors, someone screwed up the roster. Oh we lost our journeyman free agent center who we have on a one year deal? Guess we can’t stop anybody until he makes it back...
    I mostly agree with this, in that yes, no one player should be so vital to a defense that without them, it's non-existent. You can't design a defense around one player like that. There needs to be something else going on that functions.

That said, I do think the way you've written this undersells Favors quite a lot. It's easy enough to call him a ''journeyman free agent centre'', which of course makes it sound silly that missing him causes such an impact. However, you can just as easily call him one of the best defensive bigs in the NBA for the last 5 years, which is also completely true, and suddenly makes the impact suffered by losing him far more understandable.

Brother, I don’t care if it’s prime Bill Russell who goes down. If without that single cog you devolve into one of the worst defenses in the league, there has been serious malpractice in constructing the roster. Offhand I’d say Griff needs to take a look pronto at getting a veteran defensive big (or two) on the team even it means dealing away Okafor, some shooters or 2nd rounders. If we really can’t get any stops without a defensive center, then finding a back up for Favors should be priority one.

Brother, I don’t care if it’s prime Bill Russell who goes down. If without that single cog you devolve into one of the worst defenses in the league, there has been serious malpractice in constructing the roster. Offhand I’d say Griff needs to take a look pronto at getting a veteran defensive big (or two) on the team even it means dealing away Okafor, some shooters or 2nd rounders. If we really can’t get any stops without a defensive center, then finding a back up for Favors should be priority one.
    yes, no one player should be so vital to a defense that without them, it's non-existent. You can't design a defense around one player like that. There needs to be something else going on that functions.
    Just repeat my first bit again, in response.

Loss I can live with. But another game where they went flat for about a 10 minute stretch and let things get out of hand. Obviously Lonzo’s best game as a Pel. Forget that he shot lights out, he took the right kind of shots—spot up 3s from the short corners and driving lay ups. Thought he showed good court vision on good passing instincts, for the most part. This version of Lonzo has value.

Interested to hear Griff’s remarks finally. Nothing earth shattering but good to hear the disgust in his voice when talking about our defense. Maybe he’ll do something about it. Mildly disturbing that he seemed to chalk most our troubles to not having Derek Favors available. As I wrote a few days ago, if the margin between us being a bottom feeding defense and respectable is Derek Favors, someone screwed up the roster. Oh we lost our journeyman free agent center who we have on a one year deal? Guess we can’t stop anybody until he makes it back...
    How is Derrick Favors a journeyman? He spent basically his entire career so far with one team.

This team shouldn't be so dependent on one player, but Derrick Favors isn't some scrub journeyman either. I'd have to imagine Griff is highly disappointed that's he's only started 7 of the first 22 games mostly due to what amounts to basic mobility.

This may be the worst defensive team in the league and they give up a ton of offensive rebounds.I thought Ball and Ingram were supposed to be good defensively I'm honestly not seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Not so great look. Took too long for Ingram to get that ball.
    Don't understand what Jrue was thinking. BI did not get the ball until 3 seconds or less and had to rush.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRox View Post
    Is Giannis, Kawhi and Doncic gonna die or something?
    Arguably. Meaning you can argue it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRox View Post
    How could the defense get worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Arguably. Meaning you can argue it.
    If Ingram is going to be ''arguably'' better than Giannis (who might well win consecutive MVPs this year and who is also a strong DPOY contender) and Doncic, you'd have to assume that

A) Ingram is going to take another leap after this one that translates his box score stats into impact
    B) Ingram is going to improve defensively by a huge margin
    C) Neither Giannis or Doncic are going to improve any further

Which are all fairly large assumptions. The first might happen, though obviously it's debatable how much it can happen on certain teams, but B and C are both pretty wild guesses.

Thread Information