Pelicans Report

Thread: Fire Gentry and Griffin

Fire Gentry and Griffin

I'm starting to feel like this buddy buddy relationship between Griffin and gentry won't work and that we need to fire both.

Let Griffin hire his own coach.

Yeah, I'm not going to start calling to fire an executive after less than a year in the job, especially when the vast majority of moves he's made in that time have been very good.

- Trajan Langdon, good pickup
    - Nailed the AD trade with an absolute haul
    - Acquired Favors basically for free
    - Nailed the draft imo
    - Acquired Swin Cash and T-Spoon, both doing well
    - Nabbed one of the most sought after athletics teams/training staffs in the NBA
    - Convinced Gayle to fork out the cash to fix up the training department

All of that is very good. The only thing I can really get annoyed at him for is the lack of clarity about Zion's injury, and compared to most executives, that's a minor quabble. As much as I didn't want him to keep Gentry, him doing so was understandable given the turnover in every other part of the organisation. I don't like it, but I get it.

Like Mythrol says: let him do the whole year, see if he makes any trade deadline moves, see if he replaces Gentry and who with, and then we can talk.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I don't understand the argument for even thinking about firing Griffin at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    - Trajan Langdon, good pickup
    - Acquired Swin Cash and T-Spoon, both doing well
    How do we know these have been good moves? I know they were applauded at the time of hire, but is there anything they've actually done that we can point to since? Not knocking any of them, but a front office is a collective, it's difficult to evaluate from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I don't understand the argument for even thinking about firing Griffin at this point.
    Agreed. This is an obvious overreaction. Gentry at this point has done more than enough to question his job security. Anyone who is seriously advocating firing Griffin after 6 months on the job is asking for our franchise to never be relevant. No one with any credentials whatsoever would ever take a GM job for the Pelicans if we did that.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Griffin turned this team into a respectable organization. Gentry undid all his work.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    How do we know these have been good moves? I know they were applauded at the time of hire, but is there anything they've actually done that we can point to since? Not knocking any of them, but a front office is a collective, it's difficult to evaluate from the outside.
    Well on the Langdon front it was mentioned he scouted NAW extensively and was the driving force behind wanting to draft him. He also scouted and brought in Melli and Didi was one of his guys too. Basically Langdon was who had a lot of input in the draft. He also handles our G League team.

As far as Swin Cash and T-Spoon go they were brought in to help the team more with talent relations and also the community. They obviously can help with on the court stuff too but their value isn't really determined by on court success.

Fire them all I’d tell ya!!! Fire them all!!!!!!!!!! Burn them with pitchforks!

LOL dude said fire Griff.

I need to put this guy on ignore.

Funny thing about this season is that a lot of the national media were behind the Pelicans making some noise; even without Zion. Now we have turned into the laughing stock of the NBA and AD looks every bit justified to have gotten out when he did. This is what a horrible head coach can do to your franchise. They can change the perception and the outlook of your team in one go. There is still time to correct the mistake of keeping him on. He has to go at the end of the season.

Gentry not Griffin. Overall Griffin has done a good job. Dare I say he has been the first positive piece to the organizational puzzle we have acquired in some time.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Langdon was directly responsible for the Didi draft pick, and has revamped our scouting department. He's also apparently a big reason that Redick considered signing here, because they know each other; Redick mentioned that on his pod just after free agency.

Swin Cash is harder to say, but we've all seen practice clips from T-Spoon and she looks good, and players working with her seem to be bought in. Watching her interact with Ingram is very encouraging.

Obviously we don't get staff performance ratings released every six months, but based on everything we've seen, they've been doing well.

Nobody is asking for Grif. to be fired but a little better communication would help. I feel sorry for the NBA too. They paid for these national TV games thinking they were getting Zion but instead are getting a D-League team in a half empty arena.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Nobody is asking for Grif. to be fired but a little better communication would help. I feel sorry for the NBA too. They paid for these national TV games thinking they were getting Zion but instead are getting a D-League team in a half empty arena.
    I agree that better communication would be good.

Gentry said today in interviews that, as far as he's aware, there haven't been any setbacks for Zion and it's just a caution thing, nothing else. So, take that with however much salt you want, but that's a semi-official statement regarding that issue.

As for the NBA, I don't really care and neither should you. They're a multi-billion dollar corporation which will still make tons of money this season despite their complaints about ratings being 'down', and no ordinary person should be even slightly concerned with their profit margins.

I'm okay with firing Gentry. I'm tired of his excuses. Can we also fired Jrue Holiday. His inconsistent play is
    not worthy of being a high ticket player on our roster. Just my two cents.

Basketball Guru
    so what i take from this thread is i think you created an account just to rant on gentry and now expanding your rant to griffin...

langdon should be president and GM....

the org need to communicate better to us fans....

but the crazy part is that you expanding your fired rants to griffin lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I agree that better communication would be good.

Gentry said today in interviews that, as far as he's aware, there haven't been any setbacks for Zion and it's just a caution thing, nothing else. So, take that with however much salt you want, but that's a semi-official statement regarding that issue.

As for the NBA, I don't really care and neither should you. They're a multi-billion dollar corporation which will still make tons of money this season despite their complaints about ratings being 'down', and no ordinary person should be even slightly concerned with their profit margins.
    Good point about the NBA. I don’t know where Mark Cuban got his info on the NBA losing money&ratings but as long as the Clippers and Lakers are winning the NBA is not losing sadly. They got what they wanted moving Davis to LA out of NOLA market.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Fire Griffin? What the feazy? How is he buddy buddy? At the end of the day, this is a business. Griffin has done nothing to deserve a rep as being unable to fire someone he likes personally.

Griffin is buddy buddy with Lebron and his agent and gentry. I get the feeling that we seem more like a team that develops players just to get traded to contending teams. We need to trade ball,jackson,okafor,etc.

Thread Information