Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ledlow’s report seems to be right about Zion

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    People only think Gentry sucks because they're wanting to "win now". The same mindset we took into the AD era. When you look at the antiGentry complaints, it's all "win now" complaints....like...'why do that lineup' and 'why let so and so do such and such when they are not great at such snd such'. If we stick with thr slow and steady rebuild model.....YOU EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT LINEUPS AND LET PLAYERS DEVELOP SKILLS THEY AREN'T GREAT AT!!!

You also sitout players longer than usual so that they heal properly.

We are doing exactly what we set out to do. At some point, the fans lost sight of the slow rebuild model.
    This is not Gentry’s first year here. So we went from playoff team potential to rebuild. LOL

P.S. Tell your thoughts to Jrue Holiday
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 12-04-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Ok. Yeah. I get that. Lol

And the OKC losses hurt. Dallas didn't bother me. They are on fire.
    Yeah, Dallas has a baby goat and a unicorn on their team.

Edited to add: The OKC home loss especially. We should at least be winning home games like that if nothing else.
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 12-04-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    This is not Gentry’s first year here. So we went from playoff team potential to rebuild. LOL

P.S. Tell your thoughts to Jrue Holiday

They were punching above their weight class two seasons ago, even when an all-star player went to IR, have to give credit to the coach, there. And then were derailed by AD.......so that really only bolsters my position.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

They were punching above their weight class two seasons ago, even when an all-star player went to IR, have to give credit to the coach, there. And then were derailed by AD.......so that really only bolsters my position.
    Thanks Alvin! Glad you are happy!

Last edited by 13 - 3; 12-04-2019 at 09:15 PM.

People only think Gentry sucks because they're wanting to "win now". The same mindset we took into the AD era. When you look at the antiGentry complaints, it's all "win now" complaints....like...'why do that lineup' and 'why let so and so do such and such when they are not great at such snd such'. If we stick with thr slow and steady rebuild model.....YOU EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT LINEUPS AND LET PLAYERS DEVELOP SKILLS THEY AREN'T GREAT AT!!!

You also sitout players longer than usual so that they heal properly.

We are doing exactly what we set out to do. At some point, the fans lost sight of the slow rebuild model.
    I'm sorry, this just isn't true.

People are upset with Gentry because he's sucked at coaching for years.

Yes, we are in a development year. Were we in a development year last season? Because people had the same complaints about garbage rotations and awful lineups then too. This isn't a new problem that's suddenly cropped up because Alvin is adjusting to developing new players, this is just what he does. He is terrible at these things. That's just the reality of the situation.

In any case, even if we were simply playing weird lineups and.odd rotations for the sake of developing players, getting people minutes, etc, that still doesn't explain why some of the players who are in the most need of development (for example, NAW) can play a total of 3 minutes across 5 games while Etwaun Moore, who is certainly not some developing rookie with untapped potential, gets fed 20 minutes a night.

Similarly, I don't think rolling out a lineup of Moore, Frank, Redick, Hart, and Melli has any real developmental advantage. All it does is condemn the players involved to being exploited on defense, set them up inadequately on offense due to no real lead guard being present, and guarantee they get thrased. It also mainly consists of players over the age of 28, who are, again, not really first development priorities.

People aren't unhappy with Gentry because we expect to win every game. People are unhappy with Gentry because he's an terrible coach.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Yeah, Dallas has a baby goat and a unicorn on their team.

Edited to add: The OKC home loss especially. We should at least be winning home games like that if nothing else.
    Yeah we lost to those Mavs uniforms. That should be a fireable offense losing to those uniforms.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 12-04-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Yeah we lost to those Mavs uniforms. That should be a fireable offense losing to those uniforms.

Luka reminds me of Bird. The only reason is that other than being tall he just looks like some random dude until he drops 30 or 40 on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm very happy for Christian Woods but it's not an insult. We have been trying to develop our 8th overall pick Hayes. These minutes Hayes are getting now should pay off well in the future.
    Wood would not have been taking Hayes' minutes, but Melli's.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Radio guy said he's doing light walk throughs, but hasnt been cleared to put much weight on the knee.
    at his size, you can't do one without doing the other
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Radio guy said he's doing light walk throughs, but hasnt been cleared to put much weight on the knee.
    If Angie Thomas is talking about what the rest of the league needs to watch out for, I highly, highly doubt Zion is doing things lightly. For him light walkthroughs might just entail no one is allowed to physically contact him. But I bet he's still putting some stresses on that knee already.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    If Angie Thomas is talking about what the rest of the league needs to watch out for, I highly, highly doubt Zion is doing things lightly. For him light walkthroughs might just entail no one is allowed to physically contact him. But I bet he's still putting some stresses on that knee already.
    Sounds plausible to me. I highly doubt someone would say the league needs to be on watch if all they saw was him walking at a moderate pace on a treadmill or something

He's obviously not doing 5 on 5 full contact practises or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was doing some solo drills and getting himself back into form.

I'm still fairly confident that he'll play in December. Might not be as early in December as we'd like, but I think it'll happen before the New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Sounds plausible to me. I highly doubt someone would say the league needs to be on watch if all they saw was him walking at a moderate pace on a treadmill or something

He's obviously not doing 5 on 5 full contact practises or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was doing some solo drills and getting himself back into form.

I'm still fairly confident that he'll play in December. Might not be as early in December as we'd like, but I think it'll happen before the New Year.
    I still think it will be on the 17th or after the 4 game road trip just after that.

Or they could be trolling us and he will pop up one day next week! That might spark some excitement!

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I still think it will be on the 17th or after the 4 game road trip just after that.

Or they could be trolling us and he will pop up one day next week! That might spark some excitement!

I saw on reddit the new date could be January 3, 2020. VS Lakers @Staples scheduled to be on ESPN. That’s 4 weeks away and would make perfect sense as far as build up. Basically giving him 2 extra weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Except I have no idea who Angie Thomas is and how much of a basketball fan she is. For all we know she saw him do a basic layup and was all "ohhhhhh."

So I'll just trust radio host guy. Griff said it could be 9 weeks, so it seems like that's what it'll be with all these other reports...which is around Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    at his size, you can't do one without doing the other
    Except his knee is probably the size of your skull.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Wood would not have been taking Hayes' minutes, but Melli's.
    I think it very likely that if Wood was here he'd be starting over Hayes. Granted it's all opinion but my point is if we assume Wood is on the team instead of Melli then who's skill set does he overlap with the most Melli or Hayes? I don't think we would be seeing as much development out of Hayes if he has a reduced role in this team.

Except I have no idea who Angie Thomas is and how much of a basketball fan she is. For all we know she saw him do a basic layup and was all "ohhhhhh."

So I'll just trust radio host guy. Griff said it could be 9 weeks, so it seems like that's what it'll be with all these other reports...which is around Christmas.
    She's a fairly big fan, from what I know. She was on the Bird Writes pod before the season started and seemed fairly well informed and sensible on there. Obviously I've never watched a game with her or anything, so maybe she's not really together on it, but I feel like she wouldn't be making such hype-driving statements over a random layup or something similarly mundane.

The news is going with the light walk throughs that I heard earlier. No idea what this lady saw.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...oughs-pelicans

The Pelicans initially put a six-to-eight-week timetable on Williamson's return, and a source told ESPN that the No. 1 overall pick has returned to doing some on-court work, including light walkthroughs with the team and spot shooting.

On Monday, Pelicans coach Alvin Gentry said the team will be "overly cautious" with Williamson's return.

The news is going with the light walk throughs that I heard earlier. No idea what this lady saw.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...oughs-pelicans
    https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...c0a7fe8db.html

Griffin, however, shrugged those comments off — suggesting that some within the organization believe him to be "too transparent" when it comes to dispersing information. He also said the timeline for Williamson's return hasn't changed, saying Ledlow's report likely stemmed from comments he made earlier in the season during a local ESPN Radio interview.
    What she's referring to is comments that I've made where I have said if he hits those metrics in seven weeks — fine," Griffin said. "If he hits those metrics in 10 weeks — fine. We don't care when that is, but he's not getting on the court until he proves to us he's healthy, no matter what it is he wants to do."
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 12-06-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Honestly, it looks like they don't want to name a specific date for his return in case he isn't ready. Which is fine.

So far they have given every indication he will be back within the original 6-8 week timeline.

I think they were attempting to avoid speculation of setbacks by doing things this way but I think people always tend to expect closer to 6 weeks than 8.

As far as I am concerned he is on schedule until he isn't.

Not to mention, if he misses an extra week to get 100%, who really cares anyway in the grand scheme?

If he isn't back by Christmas I will be shocked and then we can start questioning if he has had a setback.

But we ain't there yet

The 17th against Brooklyn at home. It's the first game after the 8 week mark since the surgery. I think he will either suit up then or it will be Christmas day on the last game of the 4 game road trip. Christmas is a Wednesday and they won't play again until Saturday.

I also think Griff want's to surprise everyone when they unveil the shiny new toy!

I wonder how season tickets would have fared had people known Zion wouldn’t be back until close to mid season.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I'm not talking about Ledlow.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I wonder how season tickets would have fared had people known Zion wouldn’t be back until close to mid season.
    They would have sold fewer.

Just leak a photo of him holding a basketball at a random practice and that would calm me down. At this point, all I can envision is a young Zion laying on the couch all day, eating a bag of Doritos while watching Netflix.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Just leak a photo of him holding a basketball at a random practice and that would calm me down. At this point, all I can envision is a young Zion laying on the couch all day, eating a bag of Doritos while watching Netflix.
    Stop worrying. He’s fine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BDAD0830-2414-41AA-ACE2-4C7ADC12A4FB.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	6509

Thread Information