Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ledlow’s report seems to be right about Zion

Ledlow’s report seems to be right about Zion

This is going past 8 weeks. We are now at week 6. The guy has not touched a basketball yet . I think they are scared to announce there was a setback. Perhaps we know more later on the week.

I don't think it's so much as ''they're scared to announce a setback'' and more ''there's no way we're making a serious run this season, we've been obliterated by injuries all around, it would be a minor miracle if we made it to 35 wins, why bother rushing him back when we could just give him an extra few weeks and bring him back to start the New Year with absolute 100% certainty he's okay?''
    Basketball.

Man, i feel bad for fans who bought season tickets for this clown and pony show. They would have been better off putting all that money into scratch off tickets.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Man, i feel bad for fans who bought season tickets for this clown and pony show. They would have been better off putting all that money into scratch off tickets.
    I just think better communication would help. They seem to be so secretive for some reason.

82 scratchies....how many wins?
    I say more than the Pels LOL.

Maybe it is better to keep Zion on the bench while Gentry is coaching. Would you trust Alvin with your crystal & china?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I trust that the staff will have Zion ready and healthy when it’s time.... no rushing this.... I do think Gentry isn’t the right coach for this team. If we fire Gentry we probably should trade Jrue and just keep rebuilding...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Maybe it is better to keep Zion on the bench while Gentry is coaching. Would you trust Alvin with your crystal & china?
    I agree! I do not want Alvin coaching him.

This is the biggest criticism I can see given to Griffin. He has handled injuries possibly even more secretively than Demps which is absolutely astounding. One of the core things we wanted when Demps was fired was for the GM to be more open. Griffin usually is but when it comes to injuries he's terrible. Why does some announcer break that Zion news in the middle of the game instead of getting out ahead of it with the media? Wtf is still going on with Favors? Fans aren't asking for their medical records, they just want to be kept updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    This is the biggest criticism I can see given to Griffin. He has handled injuries possibly even more secretively than Demps which is absolutely astounding. One of the core things we wanted when Demps was fired was for the GM to be more open. Griffin usually is but when it comes to injuries he's terrible. Why does some announcer break that Zion news in the middle of the game instead of getting out ahead of it with the media? Wtf is still going on with Favors? Fans aren't asking for their medical records, they just want to be kept updated.
    Favors mum/mom died. He isn't injured.
    The rest I agree.

**** like this is why I question being a fan of this team.

Yeah, it's not an issue with Favors, like Aussie says, Favors' mother passed away and that's been open and public since like, 2 days after it happened.

But I would appreciate more details regarding Zion. Doesn't have to be much, but instead of having Ledlow inform us that it may be a little longer than planned on a TV broadcast, why can't the official Pelicans twitter, or the Pelicans PR twitter, or even Griff himself just tweet an update? Or why not have an appearance on that podcast the official Pelicans website does?

Like Mythrol said, we aren't asking for his medical records to be scanned in and uploaded in searchable PDF, but if we could just have a bit of detail it would be huge. He's ''turned a corner'', apparently. What does that mean? Has commenced individual workouts? Has started solo basketball drills again? Has been scanned again and they've seen complete healing and no further complications or damage? Is no longer experiencing swelling and pain? What's the deal, what does ''turned a corner'' mean? It's such a none-phrase.

Personally believe he was 6-8 at the beginning of last week and then we basically loss that heart breaker to the Lakers and then 2 to OKC and they re-evaluated the time table.

Had we won that Laker game and at least one or those okc games, I imagine the energy would be a little different and they would have stuck to the time table. Seeing NAW out there and less E’Twaun was all I needed to see.

Sign me up for a pair of floppy shoes and a shovel. A least I only got the 12 game package this year. Been burned too many times. But I can’t remember being this down on the team since the season after our first playoff appearance with AD. Like now, everything went sideways with injuries and we were just sucking wind and it got to be January and we hadn’t heard a word from Demps in months. Then it came out he wasn’t even in New Orleans. He was in Europe. “Scouting talent.” Something broke for me that day. Season was in ashes, all the promises burned to cinder and the GM leaves town for weeks without saying word one to the fans. I never bought season tickets again and I got to tell,you I’m getting some major deja vu. Griffin better climb out of his bunker or wherever he’s gone and get ahead of this train wreck or I’m writing these guys off—Zion or no Zion.

CBS Sports is going with the story

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/z...le-per-report/

he's fine," Gentry said of Williamson, via Christian Clark of Nola.com. "I don't think it's anything that can be rushed. I think it's a time thing. Six weeks is what we said, but obviously, he's making progress. When the time comes for him to start on-court and do things like that, he will. It's not anything that's going to be rushed or any shortcut. It's a matter of taking the time to make sure he's fine... In these situations, you sometimes have to protect players from themselves."
    Translation: There has been a setback on his return.
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 12-04-2019 at 08:07 AM.

News around this team in general is just sad. On their new "flagship" station I still don't know of any show that just discusses the Pelicans or just basketball. Yet there are multiple shows on LSU or football.

Secondly, the free agent signings outside of Redick have been whiffs so far. Melli has been underwhelming and Favors has not been available. And I'm talking outside of the personal issue. A veteran should not be missing chunks of the season with back spasms or a sore knee.

And yes I came very close, but so glad I didn't waste money on season tickets. Never when your main guy is a rookie. Even when he plays, I fully expect him in and out of the lineup with petty injuries all year, with a likely shut down in March.

Didn't I warn someone last week of the likely "setback" forthcoming? ��

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Melli has been underwhelming and Favors has not been available.
    I really wish we would have passed on Melli and just kept Wood. He had much more promise and fit the makeup of this team much better.

Might as well shelf him for the year. Sorry to ticket holders but we have a long term plan in place and Zion is a huge part of it... why rush him back now? We suck. We can trade a few players and get more assets (JJ, Fav, ETwuan, whoever else).

Agreed. I was not among those who were "outraged" by the original handling of the Zion injury. They held off a few days announcing, and did seem to downplay it a bit, but didn't find it egregious. I feel differently about this. If they plan to hold him out, it's only fair to the fans to give us some kind of realistic expectation on when we should expect him. If we don't see him by the start of the new year, the organization will start doing serious damage to the good will they had built up with the fans over the course of the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Might as well shelf him for the year. Sorry to ticket holders but we have a long term plan in place and Zion is a huge part of it... why rush him back now? We suck. We can trade a few players and get more assets (JJ, Fav, ETwuan, whoever else).
    If he's healthy, there's no reason to keep him shelved. He may look like he's lightyears ahead of other rookies, but he's still a rookie. He needs to start getting on the court experience. We have to know what our roster looks like around him. This is about a lot more than simply trying to make a run at the playoffs.

Now, if he's not healthy, then that's a different story. However, if he's still not healthy, I'd start to become concerned that the long-term health concerns might be more founded than we expected.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I was actually thinking this too. Why put him out there with this awful coach just to risk him him injured again under this coach’s system. Didn’t Zion blow up his foot or something like that at Duke? Might as well get that fixed too if necessary.

#PELSLIFE
    Last edited by 13 - 3; 12-04-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Jokes on you for thinking Gentry runs a system...

Gentry and Griffin said he’s fine.

Just that they are playing it safe and not living in this 6-8 week timeframe.

What’s with the doom and gloom around here circling this? They just plainly said he’s fine. To me it’s obvious what’s going on. We are officially driving on the side of the road that’s leaning more towards tanking than “just sticking around”.

That 6-8 week timeframe always felt like a playoff hunt schedule to me. A timeline that was based on the gut feeling that Brandon Ingram and Jrue Holiday would be better than an aging Chris Paul and Galanari. They aren’t! Yet....so we are playing the smart hand. Why would they risk even the PR debacle of bringing him back before 8 weeks after the whole KD thing if we really have nothing to play for?

We fell apart guys. 6 straight! Lol It was obvious after that OKC loss - even on the road - that the energy of the team’s expectations had dissolved. Then the loss at home? Forget about it. Did you see how they walked off the court last night?

I’m just going to watch Hayes and NAW in peace until Zion gets back. That’s all I can do. [And I agree, if Naw doesn’t get a bump to 18 minutes+ no matter how much he’s making mistakes from here on out, fire Gentry on the spot]

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Jokes on you for thinking Gentry runs a system...
    Ok . Coaching system. You are right Gentry can’t even get that right. Did you see the Panthers fired their coach in-season.

Thread Information