Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 3rd December - New Orleans Pelicans vs Dallas Mavericks - 6-14

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    And yet NY are looking at sacking their coach, but good old New Orleans will keep Gentry for another year.
    If NY are the laughing stock then I don't think New Orleans is far behind.

Might not be the answer, but keeping Alvin isn't the answer either.
    I mean, I'm never going to advocate following the Knicks blueprint for success

I really don't mind if we don't fire Alvin right this second. I want to, of course, but I understand the difficulty in acquiring a solid head coach mid-season, and I can understand why you wouldn't want to do that in Zion/Jax/NAW's rookie year. Fine, I get it. Don't like it, but I get it.

But if Gentry is still the head coach of this team come next year's draft, I will be quite upset.
    Basketball.

Where is tank commander Greivis Vazquez when you need him

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

I really don't mind if we don't fire Alvin right this second. I want to, of course, but I understand the difficulty in acquiring a solid head coach mid-season, and I can understand why you wouldn't want to do that in Zion/Jax/NAW's rookie year. Fine, I get it. Don't like it, but I get it.

But if Gentry is still the head coach of this team come next year's draft, I will be quite upset.
    Here's the problem. When Zion and Favors come back, they'll start winning games again. THe roster is too talented to keep putting up stinkers like this despite the bad coaching.

They'll also mask the obvious problem.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Here's the problem. When Zion and Favors come back, they'll start winning games again. THe roster is too talented to keep putting up stinkers like this despite the bad coaching.

Oh man I said the exact same thing in the other thread. The only reason to fire Gentry now is to prevent the organization from extending this dude. We would totally do something that stupid.

Because I want to see how players will react with change.
    The players have given up and so have the fans.
    Let's see how good Griffin is when he has to do the hard things and sack his good ol' friend for the sake of the team.

Gentry is just sunk cost.
    What if one of the assistant coaches is the answer?

I don't know exactly how true that is. I know, of course, that we'll win more than we have now, but even if Zion comes back on December 13th (exactly 8 weeks after his surgery) that will leave us with only 56 games left in the year. At that point, we will probably be something like 8-18.

We would have to go 27-29 from that point onwards to even hit 35 wins. Zion and Favors will help, of course, but are they enough to turn a 6-15 squad into a basically .500 team? I would be pretty surprised if so. And of course, I said 8-18 assuming that we win against Phoenix and Detroit: that's a big if, we could easily lose those too and be 6-20. And that also assumes Zion's back on the 13th, which could easily not be the case: maybe he doesn't play until the 20th, or maybe he debuts on Christmas Day, who knows?

The way I see it, it would be mildly surprising if we hit 30 total wins this year. Can Gentry's problem even be masked, with yet another dramatically sub-500 record under his belt?

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Interviewer: ''Alvin, the game was pretty close through the first quarter but things started to unravel a little bit in the second there. Do you think that was a result in the change in offense the bench guys brought in, or do you think that Dallas just started making some of those difficult shots they missed early?''

Alvin Gentry: ''Basketball is a sport played by two teams. Each team must place exactly 5 players on the court at any one time; the object of the game is to score points by inserting the ball into one of two hoops which is assigned to your own team. The winner of the game is the team to have scored the larger number of points after the total in-game time of 48 minutes has passed. Players must dribble the ball in order to move, and once the dribble has been picked up again it must either be passed or shot; any attempt to begin a new dribble is a violation of the rules. Players can tally points, rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, turnovers, and personal fouls; these statistics are recorded on what is called a ''box score'' by the scoring officials of each game, and -''

Interviewer: ''Okay thank you Alvin.''
    Ah thank you for this.

#WBD

We be damned
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I don't know exactly how true that is. I know, of course, that we'll win more than we have now, but even if Zion comes back on December 13th (exactly 8 weeks after his surgery) that will leave us with only 56 games left in the year. At that point, we will probably be something like 8-18.

We would have to go 27-29 from that point onwards to even hit 35 wins. Zion and Favors will help, of course, but are they enough to turn a 6-15 squad into a basically .500 team? I would be pretty surprised if so. And of course, I said 8-18 assuming that we win against Phoenix and Detroit: that's a big if, we could easily lose those too and be 6-20. And that also assumes Zion's back on the 13th, which could easily not be the case: maybe he doesn't play until the 20th, or maybe he debuts on Christmas Day, who knows?

The way I see it, it would be mildly surprising if we hit 30 total wins this year. Can Gentry's problem even be masked, with yet another dramatically sub-500 record under his belt?
    Kristin Ledlow said during the broadcast that the team told her Zion's absence will extend past the original 6-8 week timeframe. I havent seen that printed anywhere.

So we'll just have to see.

Kristin Ledlow said during the broadcast that the team told her Zion's absence will extend past the original 6-8 week timeframe. I havent seen that printed anywhere.

I tuned in a little late, so I missed that, but yeah in that case there's probably no Zion until Christmas-ish (possibly a Christmas Day debut at home? Would make some sense) and in that scenario hitting 35 wins seems like a pipe dream.

Win 30 games, get a top 5 pick, boot Gentry, look forward to 2020-21

I tuned in a little late, so I missed that, but yeah in that case there's probably no Zion until Christmas-ish (possibly a Christmas Day debut at home? Would make some sense) and in that scenario hitting 35 wins seems like a pipe dream.

Win 30 games, get a top 5 pick, boot Gentry, look forward to 2020-21
    We don't play at home on Christmas Day.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    We don't play at home on Christmas Day.
    ...you're right and I'm an idiot

No idea why I had it in my head that we were at home for that. Can't explain it away lol

Either way, point remains Zion debut on Christmas still makes sense, and if they do want him to debut at home they can just do it on the 28th when we play Indiana at home.

Rumored to be January now. Fanbase might be dead by then.

Look at this, man.

This is unforgivable.

Lonzo's attempted more than 3x as many 3s as he has at-rim attempts.

The NBA chops shot charts up into 14 segments (excluding half-court shots and heaves), and he's shooting below league average from 10 of them.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Fred Vinson had our guys playing lights out in Summer League. Our rookies were killing it under him. I'm not sure if he's the answer, but it looked like a totally different team with him in charge.

And yes, i know Summer League players are not all good players. I mean the actual pacing, driving to the rim, getting good shots. Not just chucking up 3's like you're Reggie Miller every game and hoping for the best.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar

Look at this, man.

This is unforgivable.

The NBA chops shot charts up into 14 segments (excluding half-court shots and heaves), and he's shooting below league average from 10 of them.
    Again...Coaching. This is Gentry's trash style. He isn't correcting it because this is what he wants to do. 46% career win percentage.

Look at this, man.

This is unforgivable.

The guy doesn't want to be in NOLA....it's obvious.
    Too bad nobody gives a **** if he is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Rumored to be January now. Fanbase might be dead by then.
    Nobody has said that except Reggie Miller based on nothing at all.

Won't Bow Down?

Hell, they don't have to...they are already on their knees.

Nobody has said that except Reggie Miller based on nothing at all.
    https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...ndow/87150452/

Your at week 6 and he still has not practiced. Why are they not hyping his return?

Side Note: Rockets just lost to the dreadful Spurs in a game in which Harden and Westbrook combined to take 67 shots, and score only 69 points.

That's precisely 1.02 points per shot, which isn't exactly great.

If you remove FTs from the discussion and just talk about actual shots they made, they shot 67 times for only 41 points: this is 0.61 points per shot, which is dreadful. 11 for 37 for Harden, 9 for 30 for Westbrook. Peak ugly-ball.

Look at this, man.

This is unforgivable.

There goes this idea that Gentry has a positive effect on point guards. If I'm the head coach, there is no way in hell my point guard does that unless his name is Steph Curry.

And Chris Finch does not get a pass. His hands are just as dirty. Need I remind everyone Lonzo is 6'6" and has a height advantage on most of his opponents. smdh

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...ndow/87150452/

Your at week 6 and he still has not practiced. Why are they not hyping his return?
    Because Griff already said he'll be back closer to the 8 weeks not 6. But they also said Zion recently "turned a corner" during the broadcast.

Because Griff already said he'll be back closer to the 8 weeks not 6. But they also said Zion recently "turned a corner" during the broadcast.
    Well at least he can turn .

Odds Luka sets a new career high?
    In rebounds no less!

Thread Information