Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st December - New Orleans Pelicans VS OKC Thunder 6-13

Pelicans 1st December - New Orleans Pelicans VS OKC Thunder 6-13

Here we go again, this time at home. After a pretty saddening loss to OKC on the road last time out, we look to get the win back at home tonight, and win a game again for the first time in a while.

Favors and Lonzo have both been listed as ''questionable'' for this game according to Pelicans PR, which is an upgrade from their previous status of ''out''. So if we see a return of Favors, that would be nice.

Fun fact from last game that I didn't realise at the time: Jrue hit 1000 career steals. There are only 16 other active NBA players with at least 1000 career steals; Chris Paul has the most with over 2100, followed by Lebron who has around 1900-something.

No real need to go too detailed in terms of statistics: it's the same team we're facing as last game so all of the stats are essentially the same and the small changes that come out here and there are changes you all saw as they happened in the last game. Same principles apply.

We should have won last game. The fact that we didn't was a real pain. We need to win this one: we're at home. In any given season there are games you're supposed to win, games you might win, games you might lose, and games you're supposed to lose. This game is one we're supposed to win: at home, against another dramatically-sub-.500 team. No excuses, really.

Let's go. #WBD
    Basketball.

It'll be interesting to see how (from a team psychology perspective) how we respond today.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Need to break this skid today. Still only 2.5 of 8th (my goal for team this season). See you guys at the game!

Is Kenny playing?

Basketball Guru
    do smart lineup match ups....play okafor against adams all times....

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Is Kenny playing?
    "Kenrich Williams (ankle) is doubtful for Sunday against the Thunder.
    He suffered a sprain in the first half on Friday and did not return. Williams was able to walk off under his own power, but it's no surprise that he's expected to miss time. Josh Hart started the third quarter and will likely start again while Nicolo Melli and E'Twaun Moore could see more minutes."

https://www.rotoworld.com/basketball...leans-pelicans

Lol

I understand Okafor starting if Favors is still out (Hayes should match with Noel, not Adams. He's not strong enough yet) but lol at Lonzo being shoved back into starting when he's just missed multiple games and was playing like garbage before going out.

Lonzo Ball is one of the most underrated pieces to this team. Gentry HAS to have a Rondo/Elfrid/Lonzo type to run his system. We have seen it consistently that when we don't have one of those guys, it's a disaster. Jrue is amazing. I love Jrue. But he is not what we need at PG. Lonzo is. He may look rusty since this is his first game back but he'll right the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Lonzo Ball is one of the most underrated pieces to this team. Gentry HAS to have a Rondo/Elfrid/Lonzo type to run his system. We have seen it consistently that when we don't have one of those guys, it's a disaster. Jrue is amazing. I love Jrue. But he is not what we need at PG. Lonzo is. He may look rusty since this is his first game back but he'll right the ship.
    Spot on sir. You get it.

How do you square that with the fact that he's looked terrible in almost every game he's played this year?

In theory sure, Lonzo fits Gentry's system like a glove, but in practice how do you allocate a starting role and major minutes to a PG who refuses to drive, can't shoot FTs, and is uncomfortable in the PnR? Especially when the vaunted defense he's show in the past hasn't turned up with him this year.

He hasn't. I think that's just conjecture. We get caught up on just looking at shooting, too much.

A good example would be the game against Utah. We started Jrue and JJ and got just destroyed. Then Ball subbed in and everything stabilized. His shooting wasn't great, so it gets seen as a "bad game" but he stabilizes our team. Just like Elfrid and Rondo. I would make the arguement that those guys and Ball were the most irreplaceable pieces on our rosters and it shows when they are out.

BI can handle the ball.....but he doesn't run an offense. It's all ISO and kickouts. Jrue is a lot of that, too, except he can run a medium tempo offense....once we kick up the pace, he gets sloppy. Ball is the only person on this roster than can effectively run point in our system.

Payton also spoiled us with his fast adaptation into our system. Ball will get better the more experience he gets with it. The defense will also come with familiarity. Ball is talented AND has an amazing work ethic. For some reason he gets treated like a guy that doesn't have a great work ethic. I don't get it. Maybe it's the way he carries himself or his dad being the way he is or something.....but a guy with that much talent and works as hard as he does will be successful. He just needs to stay healthy consistently.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 12-01-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Basketball Guru
    He hasn't. I think that's just conjecture. We get caught up on just looking at shooting, too much.

A good example would be the game against Utah. We started Jrue and JJ and got just destroyed. Then Ball subbed in and everything stabilized. His shooting wasn't great, so it gets seen as a "bad game" but he stabilizes our team. Just like Elfrid and Rondo. I would make the arguement that those guys and Ball were the most irreplaceable pieces on our rosters and it shows when they are out.

BI can handle the ball.....but he doesn't run an offense. It's all ISO and kickouts. Jrue is a lot of that, too, except he can run a medium tempo offense....once we kick up the pace, he gets sloppy. Ball is the only person on this roster than can effectively run point in our system.

Payton also spoiled us with his fast adaptation into our system. Ball will get better the more experience he gets with it.

its the reason why naw is not playing because all he does is jack up shots when he come into the game....naw does not stabilize the offense and run the point right......now if you play naw at SG and let lonzo or jrue run the point then naw game may turn around....

if this team had 2 point guards that gentry need, we would be a better team this season i believe....

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PineBeltPelican View Post
    Need to break this skid today. Still only 2.5 of 8th (my goal for team this season). See you guys at the game!
    short and sweet... I fully expect the Pels to win today....
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Yep.

And I think Frank or NAW might get there. Zion will be interesting, too. Will be he run the O with a lot of ISO like Ingram or can he be the Ball. We'll see.

I have a client, now, and will start the game an hour behind. See you fellas on the other side!

I'm not talking about slash lines or shooting percentages. I'm talking about how he looks. The dude cannot run a half-court offense, and as much as Gentry grinds his teeth into dust about it, you do end up playing in the half-court sometimes regardless of pace. He refuses to drive; that's got nothing to do with his points per game or his shooting percentage and everything to do with his refusal to actually attack the rim and break up a defense. That's point guard 101, and he absolutely refuses to do it.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Why is JJ Redick attacking the rim more than anyone else? Get inside, got damn.

We're doing it again.

20 seconds left on the clock, stepback threes, no passing.
    16 seconds left on the clock, contested midranger, only one pass.

Please run some offense.

I blame Jrue's weird hairstyle. He should just rock a fade.

When CP3 enters the paint, Okafor's brain just breaks. He has no idea what to do about that.

Well... OKC starting out hot... And we starting out like a dumpster fire. Which is also hot.

Sweet Jesus... Can we gwt Hayes to rim protect. Okafor ain't it.

Can't believe a 19 year old is our best option at defending the paint.

Hayes's development has been the second best thing about this season. That aside from us FINALLY having a real wing in Ingram.

Lol at Ingram taking that ball, pushing up court, almost crashing into Redick because he doesn't realise which path he's filling, running directly into a 10ft double team and forcing up a missed layup without making a single pass.

I love Hayes. He is keeping me going at this point.

Come on Jrue, what was that. Just pounding the air out of the ball for 20 seconds before forcing up a bad shot.

Thread Information