Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1st December - New Orleans Pelicans VS OKC Thunder 6-13

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Again, nobody as far as I've seen has denied his high FG% numbers.

When someone says he is in a slump, they're just talking about his recent play. Yes, he's been efficient overall on the year. He hasn't been recently. That could always bounce back, and to some extent probably will.
    I will acknowledge his shot isn't falling at the insanely high percentage it was to begin the season. In my opinion it hasn't fallen enough to justify a slump label.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    In post-game interview tonight he basically said we've changed things but we just need to ''make plays''.

Okay, coach, isn't that at least partially your job? To draw up and direct specific plays, particularly late in close games when there are timeouts available?

Also, what things have we really changed? Yes, we switched some pieces about in the starting lineup, but the style of play and actual performance hasn't changed.

Obviously Alvin can't force a player to hit a shot that they miss, and he can't force someone to read the ball correctly off the rim for a rebound, that's beyond his control, but if we come straight out of a time-out and run an iso-ball set then yes, that's at least somewhat his fault.
    That plus the insane amount of times they will consecutively shoot 3s. They played like 6 minutes where they only shot 3s. That’s almost unheard of.

The Franchise
    In post-game interview tonight he basically said we've changed things but we just need to ''make plays''.

Okay, coach, isn't that at least partially your job? To draw up and direct specific plays, particularly late in close games when there are timeouts available?

Also, what things have we really changed? Yes, we switched some pieces about in the starting lineup, but the style of play and actual performance hasn't changed.

Obviously Alvin can't force a player to hit a shot that they miss, and he can't force someone to read the ball correctly off the rim for a rebound, that's beyond his control, but if we come straight out of a time-out and run an iso-ball set then yes, that's at least somewhat his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    When he's cleared to play, he will have the same coaching impediment that the rest of the Pelicans have to deal with. In other words, Einstein, a basketball coach that isn't.
    Calm down I promise you, nobody is impressed by your snarky name-calling on an internet basketball forum.

Coach K is not a great coach, contrary to popular belief. Very good recruiter, not a great coach. The Duke team that Zion played on last season wasn't actually a great one overall for a bunch of reasons; part of it was because of the lack of spacing in the lineups, sure, but part of it was Coach K's weird insistence on RJ Barrett being the secondary playmaker despite his general lack of talent for it.

That is to say, Zion's played with a Coach who's failed to design a strategy that plays to his strengths before, and he still managed to have one of the most dominant college seasons of the last 20 years and get drafted first overall. When you're that good, coaching can only hurt so much. Zion will come in and he will perform well, and be fun. We may not win that many games, because that's a team effort, but even with the coaching impediment, Zion will make the games at least entertaining. Which, right now, they're not.
    Basketball.

Or coached competently.
    I'm still going to disagree. Gentry is a scapegoat.

It's players going cold and missing shots. They're getting the same good looks but just go cold. The system is working, the players aren't knocking them down. Then dumb individual plays in the final minute.

In defense we're getting exposed because Hayes and Okafor just can't play good team defense. Hayes will get there. Ok will always be a liability. He's a bench player. Melli isn't even worth mentioning, here. Lol

Missing both Favors and Zion has absolutely killed us inside.

But then all of this would be moot if the game were officiated evenly. More foul calls would lead to slower developing plays from the opposing team and better team D from us......and just the points alone......
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavan30 View Post
    Gentry has turned into Quinn Buckner.
    Desperately wish he'd turn into Quinn Snyder

The Franchise
    Everything Jrue and Ingram get they have to work for.. almost everything everyone else gets Jrue and Ingram have to work for. You guys are correct, it's up to the coaching staff to implement a system and schemes that generate open looks. It just rarely happens..

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    This year is a waste with Alvin Gentry here. His scheme sucks. He doesn't develop players. He has been well BELOW average his entire career.

Gayle did everything else right except firing Gentry. Now the life is just sucked out of the fan base and the team.

Call up Didi. Starting lineup should be: NAW, Jrue, BI, Hustle, Jax. Didi needs to play with the big boys off the bench.

I’ve heard it all now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I just don't know how you can defend giving Jackson and NAW zero playing time AND lose the game. Either we're playing to get wins... In which case we should be winning, or we need to give minutes to the players we need to develop. Especially Jackson. A decision has to be made on him this summer because his contract is up.
    I wanted to say this same exact thing the other night. You can justify it if we are winning. You CANNOT justify giving Moore minutes over these guys if we are losing. In fact, I’d wager that Gentry’s reluctance to let the young guys play is hurting the team overall.
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 12-01-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    We live or die by the iso ball. I mean I’ll take it, but if we want to become a better team, this is what we need to stray away from. Defenses love not having to move an inch. They will take a face up jumper every time regardless of whether it goes in or not. Why? Because they don’t waste a bit of energy chasing the ball

It also relies on the shooter being able to shoot off the dribble which is often a very poor shot
    Bump

Yeah, not surprised by this.

The Franchise
    I'm going to eat crow on Okafor.. I thought he'd be better than what he's demonstrated thus far. I had no idea he was this bad on defense.

Calm down I promise you, nobody is impressed by your snarky name-calling on an internet basketball forum.

Coach K is not a great coach, contrary to popular belief. Very good recruiter, not a great coach. The Duke team that Zion played on last season wasn't actually a great one overall for a bunch of reasons; part of it was because of the lack of spacing in the lineups, sure, but part of it was Coach K's weird insistence on RJ Barrett being the secondary playmaker despite his general lack of talent for it.

That is to say, Zion's played with a Coach who's failed to design a strategy that plays to his strengths before, and he still managed to have one of the most dominant college seasons of the last 20 years and get drafted first overall. When you're that good, coaching can only hurt so much. Zion will come in and he will perform well, and be fun. We may not win that many games, because that's a team effort, but even with the coaching impediment, Zion will make the games at least entertaining. Which, right now, they're not.
    That makes feel a lot better. He didn't play for a good coach before so c'est la vie. LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    I'm going to eat crow on Okafor.. I thought he'd be better than what he's demonstrated thus far. I had no idea he was this bad on defense.
    Would you believe me if I told you that this is a general improvement over his defense last year?

You want a player like him in the squad, but you don’t want him logging heavy minutes. This is where we really miss Favors.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    That makes feel a lot better. He didn't play for a good coach before so c'est la vie. LMAO
    You're right, that's exactly what I said.

Good work, Einstein

It doesn’t matter how chiseled his body is, he will never be a plus defender. It’s just not in his blood.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I'm still going to disagree. Gentry is a scapegoat.

It's players going cold and missing shots. They're getting the same good looks but just go cold. The system is working, the players aren't knocking them down. Then dumb individual plays in the final minute.

In defense we're getting exposed because Hayes and Okafor just can't play good team defense. Hayes will get there. Ok will always be a liability. He's a bench player. Melli isn't even worth mentioning, here. Lol

Missing both Favors and Zion has absolutely killed us inside.

But then all of this would be moot if the game were officiated evenly. More foul calls would lead to slower developing plays from the opposing team and better team D from us......and just the points alone......
    I respect the fact that you are trying to be logical here, but since 1994-95 as a head coach the man has won 46% of his games. Thats a LONG time to be bad.

The Franchise
    Would you believe me if I told you that this is a general improvement over his defense last year?
    Sad.. You were right man... I remember being excited about what he might bring this season, you weren't all that optimistic. Now I can see why.

@JJ This was my thinking but even in limited minutes, he's really bad on defense. Like he's not even able to defend 2nd and 3rd string interior players.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    It doesn’t matter how chiseled his body is, he will never be a plus defender. It’s just not in his blood.
    I'm coming to that realization.. I had high hopes for him coming out of college.

College. Coaches. Aren't. Good. Prospects.

Hopefully Favors is back next game so he and Hayes can shore up the center position.

I also dont understand benching Lonzo in the final 5 minutes.

While it looks like he has lost all confidence to drive into the paint, he still tends to get the ball moving. Still has active hands on defense.

Instead we get treated to yet another closing minutes of Jrue looking like a deer in headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFranchise80 View Post
    Hopefully Favors is back next game so he and Hayes can shore up the center position.
    All that will mean is Hayes will probably get minutes cut.

I think Gentry absolutely loathed having AD & Boogie together slowing down the pace.

Thread Information