Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 1st December - New Orleans Pelicans VS OKC Thunder 6-13

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I just don't know how you can defend giving Jackson and NAW zero playing time AND lose the game. Either we're playing to get wins... In which case we should be winning, or we need to give minutes to the players we need to develop. Especially Jackson. A decision has to be made on him this summer because his contract is up.
    I remember teachers in elementary school passing out handout sheets entitled...'Which One Does Not Fit?'. On this team, it's obvious who the misfit is.

In short, I'd rather lose with NAW or Frank getting minutes than with Ball's poor decision making ability. Talented? Yes. Smart? that's another matter.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

My bad, I forgot that Ingram can do no wrong
    That kind of response is beneath you.. Don't start talking stupid.. We both know Ingram can do wrong, and I call him out. You tried to defend a silly take, with an even more ridiculous take.. I told you I'm going to call you out when I see it.

Ingram is second in the league in FG% and 3pt% of all top ten scorers.. He was also the ONLY starter on the plus side.. +9 To try to single him out in any way is beyond ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavan30 View Post
    Truly horrible coaching. No offensive sets lead to iso plays. Defensively, no adjustments made to opponent plays that work over and over. The Pels are the laughingstock of the NBA right now. I went through this with the Mavs in the 90s with the 3 Js and it takes years to get out of this. All of the good will during the summer will be gone, and some fans just won’t return. Zion is going to stay for this?
    Sorry for the long post, I am super frustrated.
    I mean, Zion has no choice: he's under contract for the next 4 years and then it'll only be restricted free agency so he could well be here for 7 years anyway. If we're still having these issues in 7 years then yeah, we have a problem.

That said, you're right to an extent. A full season of this, and some of those people who got drawn in by the Zion factor just won't bother. It's easy to say that the games will be more fun once Zion's back, and that's probably true, but how many of them will still care at that point? There's only so many times you can get slapped in the face before you just leave and don't come back.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    That kind of response is beneath you.. Don't start talking stupid.. We both know Ingram can do wrong, and I call him out. You tried to defend a silly take, with an even more ridiculous take.. I told you I'm going to call you out when I see it.

Ingram is second in the league in FG% and 3pt% of all top ten scorers.. He was also the ONLY starter with on the plus side.. +9 To try to single him out in any way is beyond ridiculous.
    Nobody's denying that Ingram's overall FG% and 3pt% is high. He started off the season ridiculously hot.

Over the last handful of games, those numbers have dropped off dramatically. Over the last 6 games before tonight, he was shooting 43% from the floor and 33% from behind the arc. That's a slump. His overall averages have, as a result, dropped: he was shooting nearly 49% from deep 7 games ago, and he came into tonight 8% lower than that.

That's a slump. If you shoot dramatically below your averages for 5+ games at a time, that's a shooting slump. Sorry, but that's just the term for that sequence of events.

Agreed on the seven years of Zion, but can the Pels really do anything if he decides he doesn’t want to play in NO? He could force a trade. I am super frustrated the Pels are doing nothing.

When Gentry said he wants his team attempting at least 40 3s per game, that is alarming.

What you want to do is work to get an easy bucket. Which often times is NOT a 3 pointer.

Unless you have a James Harden on your team, it is a bad philosophy full of wasted possessions.

Tomorrow (today for me, 39 minutes past midnight gang) for you guys marks exactly 6 weeks since Zion's surgery.

Holding out hope.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    When Gentry said he wants his team attempting at least 40 3s per game, that is alarming.

What you want to do is work to get an easy bucket. Which often times is NOT a 3 pointer.

Unless you have a James Harden on your team, it is a bad philosophy full of wasted possessions.

Alvin Gentry needs to do the opposite of every gut feeling he has.

Tell the team: Do not shoot ANY 3's. I want you driving to the paint, getting to the foul line. That's the ONLY "3 point play" you should be worried about.

His scheme is just pure lazy. LITERALLY ANYONE OF US ON THIS BOARD can drive down and shoot a 3 with 20 seconds left on the clock.

Tomorrow (today for me, 39 minutes past midnight gang) for you guys marks exactly 6 weeks since Zion's surgery.

Holding out hope.
    Me too.

Holding out hope.

I wouldn't hope too much. Zion, lest we forget, has yet to play in a regular season game AND he won't be bringing Krzyzewski with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    His scheme is just pure lazy. LITERALLY ANYONE OF US ON THIS BOARD can drive down and shoot a 3 with 20 seconds left on the clock.
    Especially if none of us are really expected to play defense on the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I wouldn't hope too much. Zion, lest we forget, has yet to play in a regular season game AND he won't be bringing Krzyzewski with him.
    If you think that Zion's success at Duke was due to Coach K, I'd recommend rewatching literally any of those games

If you think that Zion's success at Duke was due to Coach K, I'd recommend rewatching literally any of those games
    Never said that Brainiac.

His scheme is just pure lazy. LITERALLY ANYONE OF US ON THIS BOARD can drive down and shoot a 3 with 20 seconds left on the clock.[/QUOTE]

I have seen better coaching in the rec leagues I played in a loooong time ago. Seriously.

The Franchise
    Nobody's denying that Ingram's overall FG% and 3pt% is high. He started off the season ridiculously hot.

Over the last handful of games, those numbers have dropped off dramatically. Over the last 6 games before tonight, he was shooting 43% from the floor and 33% from behind the arc. That's a slump. His overall averages have, as a result, dropped: he was shooting nearly 49% from deep 7 games ago, and he came into tonight 8% lower than that.

That's a slump. If you shoot dramatically below your averages for 5+ games at a time, that's a shooting slump. Sorry, but that's just the term for that sequence of events.
    So he goes into a slump for a 10 game stretch and is still 2nd in the league among the top ten scorers in the league from a FG and 3Pt% standpoint.. Ingram is fine..

And I'm not going to try to single out the only starter who was on the plus side by a wide margin..

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Never said that Brainiac.
    What are you meaning to imply by saying ''don't get your hopes up, he's not bringing Coach K with him''?

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Agreed on the seven years of Zion, but can the Pels really do anything if he decides he doesn’t want to play in NO? He could force a trade. I am super frustrated the Pels are doing nothing.
    Alvin is essentially not even coaching. If the players are allowed to shoot whatever they want and no adjustments are made, what exactly is his job? He is responsible for the lineups and those are awful.... So, he’s basically getting paid to do nothing, but put his team in position to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nichols View Post
    So he goes into a slump for a 10 game stretch and is still 2nd in the league among the top ten scorers in the league from a FG and 3Pt% standpoint.. Ingram is fine..

And I'm not going to try to single out the only starter who was on the plus side by a wide margin..
    Again, nobody as far as I've seen has denied his high FG% numbers.

When someone says he is in a slump, they're just talking about his recent play. Yes, he's been efficient overall on the year. He hasn't been recently. That could always bounce back, and to some extent probably will.

I have seen better coaching in the rec leagues I played in a loooong time ago. Seriously.[/QUOTE]

So have I.

They made 17 threes tonight and shot 45% from there. GREAT!

The problem is they shot 44% overall and only got 10 free throw attempts vs OKC's 26.

Chucking 3s just damages so many other important parts of your game that it doesnt even matter if you shoot it well.

What are you meaning to imply by saying ''don't get your hopes up, he's not bringing Coach K with him''?
    When he's cleared to play, he will have the same coaching impediment that the rest of the Pelicans have to deal with. In other words, Einstein, a basketball coach that isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Alvin is essentially not even coaching. If the players are allowed to shoot whatever they want and no adjustments are made, what exactly is his job? He is responsible for the lineups and those are awful.... So, he’s basically getting paid to do nothing, but put his team in position to lose.
    In post-game interview tonight he basically said we've changed things but we just need to ''make plays''.

Okay, coach, isn't that at least partially your job? To draw up and direct specific plays, particularly late in close games when there are timeouts available?

Also, what things have we really changed? Yes, we switched some pieces about in the starting lineup, but the style of play and actual performance hasn't changed.

Obviously Alvin can't force a player to hit a shot that they miss, and he can't force someone to read the ball correctly off the rim for a rebound, that's beyond his control, but if we come straight out of a time-out and run an iso-ball set then yes, that's at least somewhat his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    They made 17 threes tonight and shot 45% from there. GREAT!

The problem is they shot 44% overall and only got 10 free throw attempts vs OKC's 26.

Chucking 3s just damages so many other important parts of your game that it doesnt even matter if you shoot it well.
    Exactly! Attacking the paint and forcing the opponent to commit fouls should be priority one.

Just another debbie downer I suppose. Can't we have hope for anything? This season was lost a long time ago, why throw a piano on this rainy parade?

Gentry has turned into Quinn Buckner.

Thread Information