Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Fire Gentry ?? Then who?

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    I often wonder if Alvin’s likability works against him. You’re players have to respect you. It’s quite frequent that we hear “My players don’t do what I ask them to do” or “We couldn’t maintain it for the full 48” spiel. Sure, he has obvious flaws in game management, but I’m not sure there isn’t a deeper issue.

Also, I think the biggest problem I have with Alvin is that he is an old fart. The guy has been around forever. If he hasn’t corrected his mistakes by now, he never will. I could excuse a young coach for some of their struggles, but Alvin doesn’t have that excuse. Surely this will be his last opportunity as HC of the Pelicans.
    How can he say Lonzo met his minutes restriction, with three minutes left in the game? Why wouldn’t he just play him three less minutes somewhere else? Instead, he takes him out in the most important part of the game. The guy just constantly does boneheaded things in regards to his rotation.

I often wonder if Alvin’s likability works against him. You’re players have to respect you. It’s quite frequent that we hear “My players don’t do what I ask them to do” or “We couldn’t maintain it for the full 48” spiel. Sure, he has obvious flaws in game management, but I’m not sure there isn’t a deeper issue.

Also, I think the biggest problem I have with Alvin is that he is an old fart. The guy has been around forever. If he hasn’t corrected his mistakes by now, he never will. I could excuse a young coach for some of their struggles, but Alvin doesn’t have that excuse. Surely this will be his last opportunity as HC of the Pelicans.
    I've heard AG say we couldn't maintain for the full 48 min but I have NEVER heard him say "My players don't do what i asked them to do , It's very obvious you hate AG but sounds like you're making up stuff now

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    I've heard AG say we couldn't maintain for the full 48 min but I have NEVER heard him say "My players don't do what i asked them to do , It's very obvious you hate AG but sounds like you're making up stuff now
    It’s called paraphrasing dude. Come on. You can’t possibly be that dense.

Surely you watch the games and hear our assistant coaches constantly bemoan the players stopping the ball and the lack of movement. They interview them at every half time.
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 12-03-2019 at 08:08 PM.

All-Star
    Eventually it might come to a point when Griffin will have to fire Gentry just to show the fanbase that the front office a) cares about what's is going on and b) holds coaching staff accountable for the abject performances. First paying customers become disappointed, then they will stop caring about the team. And it's the last thing you want to see. From what I see from the TV broadcasts, our attendance is dropping and I'm not sure that Zion factor can have a long lasting effect with this coach at the helm.

As much as I hate this entire thing surrounding the need to fire Gentry, and the near-inevitability of him joining the FO after that point, I do think it it demonstrates a really intriguing sociological point. It's been made before, I'm not claiming to have discovered anything but here it is.

There are sectors of employment, largely managerial, executive, administrative, etc, absolutely chock-full of (often highly paid) employees who were good enough at their jobs to become incompetent, and who are often promoted even higher (kicked-upstairs) for the sole purpose of getting them out of the way.

Gentry is a perfect example.

He started as a player at college. Then he became an assistant at a college, and did very well; won an National Championship. Then, from the National Championship, he gets a job in the NBA as an assistant coach for the Spurs (back when Larry Brown coached them), then he went to the Clippers, then to Detroit, where he got the Head Coach position. At each level, he's succeeded enough to get ''promoted'' to the next level. Since getting that Detroit position, he's floated around between various assistant and head coaching jobs, including some damn good teams, and has always been successful enough to get to that next level.

Until at some point, he reaches the limit of his competence; being a Head Coach in the 2010s/2020s for a team that wants to be actively good. He's been good enough all his life to keep getting promoted, but now he's not good enough anymore. But he's made connections now; he's friends with the GM and the owner, the players like him. So you can't just fire him (or at least, it's easy to feel that you can't fire him) and so the only thing you can do it kick him upstairs: promote him to the Front Office. Not because you think he'd be a great executive, but because it's a position that's technically another 'upgrade', but which gets him out of the way.

It's not failing upwards, because failing upwards implies incompetence at every level. Gentry didn't have that. He was a solid assistance coach at college, and then in the NBA for some good teams. He's even been able to be semi-decent as a Head Coach when everything falls just right for him. His skill level's just run out, and the only way to get rid of him is to promote him to somewhere where he can't hurt anything anymore

Business, eh?
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    This team relies on the 3 too much and they move too fast for their own bearing. They're like a clumsy baby giraffe who can't get their own footing.

They actually have enough talent to win more games than they have. The problem is the execution. That's on coaching. I'd give Chris Finch his job to be quite honest.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    This team relies on the 3 too much and they move too fast for their own bearing. They're like a clumsy baby giraffe who can't get their own footing.

They actually have enough talent to win more games than they have. The problem is the execution. That's on coaching. I'd give Chris Finch his job to be quite honest.
    I agree. Watching the game last nigh was frustrating. How many times did Ball get in the lane only to kick it out even though he had a clear path to the goal? Jrue did it a few times as well. They seem to look for the 3 first and pass on easy buckets as a result.

It’s called paraphrasing dude. Come on. You can’t possibly be that dense.

Surely you watch the games and hear our assistant coaches constantly bemoan the players stopping the ball and the lack of movement. They interview them at every half time.
    Not too dense to know you don't paraphrase with quotation marks

Quote Originally Posted by djrnno View Post
    Not too dense to know you don't paraphrase with quotation marks
    This is a pointless debate, but are you kidding me? People paraphrase with quotes all the time. “It’s quite frequent that we hear” and “spiel” should give away that i am speaking in general and not giving actual quotes. This is not a newspaper. It’s absurd to think that he says the same phrase every time verbatim. You read too much into it and you didn’t even need to respond to me.

I'd just like to say that I believe Gentry should be fired after this game. This is not a situation where after losing 7 straight you can turn around and lose by nearly 50 without someone being held accountable.

My biggest fear is the interim coach performs well enough that he cons his way into a full time job. I don't want Finch or anyone else currently on this team to take over as head coach full time.

Get us through this season then be on your way. It was stupid to keep Gentry this summer but it's even stupider to keep him around when the team clearly is not listening to him.

And Lonzo can hit the door too. What a pathetic player he is.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I say, why not Fizdale?

I bet a grit and grind type game would be aces for Zion.

You hear that fart like sound? That’s the goodwill that this organization is letting escape with this stupid coach, and the idiot who retained him.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'd just like to say that I believe Gentry should be fired after this game. This is not a situation where after losing 7 straight you can turn around and lose by nearly 50 without someone being held accountable.

My biggest fear is the interim coach performs well enough that he cons his way into a full time job. I don't want Finch or anyone else currently on this team to take over as head coach full time.

Get us through this season then be on your way. It was stupid to keep Gentry this summer but it's even stupider to keep him around when the team clearly is not listening to him.

And Lonzo can hit the door too. What a pathetic player he is.
    So many in the local media, and podcasters are still suckin that nutt trying to hold on to the inside info (if they even have any). Those idiots should be hoisted out on their own petard.

3/32 from 3 point range today. Really? Wow.

Fred Vinson??

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I say, why not Fizdale?

I bet a grit and grind type game would be aces for Zion.
    Cause he's a bad coach.

Thread Information