Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 27th November - New Orleans Pelicans VS Los Angeles Lakers - 6-11

Pelicans 27th November - New Orleans Pelicans VS Los Angeles Lakers - 6-11

Okay so here it is. AD's back in New Orleans, Lebron's here, it's all going to happen. Unfortunately Zion's injured so we won't see that clash quite yet, that will have to wait for later, but otherwise it's all the thing.

Favors is out for undisclosed personal reasons, hopefully everything's well with him and he's okay. Obviously if there's something serious going on in his personal life that's terrible and with any luck it gets sorted neatly, fairly soon. Lonzo may or may not be playing, due to a virus; frankly I'm just fine with him sitting out.

The Lakers are 15-2. They have the NBA's 5th ranked offense, and 2nd ranked defense. There are a few reasons for this, which I'll go over soon, but it's a fairly intimidating reality whichever way you look at it. This is the kind of game where, from a moral standpoint (if you wanna look at it that way) we really should win; that'd be the Hollywood underdog story. Realistically though, a loss here isn't unexpected or surprising in any way.

So why are the Lakers so good? Well, firstly, as is always the case with his teams, Lebron. Lebron's currently averaging 25.6 points, 7.3 rebounds. and 11 assists a game, and he's playing his best defense in years. His passing has reached undeniably all-time-great levels, and he's in full control of that aspect of his game right now, boasting a >3 AST/TO ratio and just carving defenses up. If we're going to find any consolation it's this; he is on the decline athletically, as crazy as that sounds, and it shows in his finishing. He's averaging 49.3% from the floor, which is good but is also his lowest since 2014-15, and after 12 straight years of averaging at least 72% at the rim, he's only shooting 67% there this year. That's still good, of course, but it's a sign of his slight decline; he's no longer able to just shrug off contact, and his first step isn't quite as good at losing defenders anymore.

And of course, the other big piece of the Lakers success is AD. We know how good he can be. He's being used in a sub-optimal way (his number of post ups has increased fairly dramatically in LA, while his number of rolls has dropped, and his 3PAs have jumped up despite no real increase in efficiency) and that's resulted in his lowest FG% ever, his lowest eFG% ever, his lowest rebounding average since his rookie year, and career worst efficiency within the paint, but his finishing at the rim is as elite as ever (shooting 75.5% at the hoop this year) and his defense has been at absolutely elite levels. He's leading the league in blocks again, and has a career best defensive rating; he's strongly in the DPOY race again this year.

This is going to be a tough one. LA are in the top ten in blocks, steals, assists, FG%, and foul rate, and they're not even bad from 3 (they're dead average, 15th in the league right now). They have a lot of size that, without Favors and Zion, we can't really match properly; Lebron, AD, Dwight, Javale, they're all big bodies who can really just force things against smaller defenders. I feel like this could really be a night where Jaxson either thrives (block city) or gets hammered with foul calls early and completely removed from the action.

That said, outside of Lebron and AD, the Lakers only have a single player averaging at least 10 points a night; that's Kuzma, and he's shooting barely 32% from 3. If we can do our best to slow down Lebron, who is the offensive engine of the entire team (they actually have a net negative rating with him off the court) then we might be in for a decent matchup as long as Ingram and Jrue show up meaning business.

Contrary to popular belief, this is winnable. But it will not be easy, and LA are a real monster when healthy; let's go out there and do what we can. #WBD
    Basketball.

All-Star
    I've watched a lot of Lakers games this season and they don't look as scary as their record implies. Clippers are way more fearsome in comparison. Lakers had one of the easiest schedules so far and it's not like they are stomping the opposing teams. They are good in clutch time, that I admit, but the fact that recently Thunder and Grizzlies made their life difficult until the final seconds brings the question: why can't we do the same?

Tonight it's one of those cases when I regret that in America it's impossible to imagine fans in attendance to bring as much heat to an opposing team as fans in Greece, Israel or Turkey do. The energy directed to unraveling Lakers' psyche and attitude would definitely help our Pelicans. I'm sure that many of our players treat this rivalry as the most important one in the regular season and will give everything. Now it's time to everybody in attendance (sans Lakers fans who unfortunately will be visible and heard) to do the same.

Sad to not have Favors. He could have slowed AD some. And that is a scarey reason to miss. Hope all goes well for him. Without him or Zion.......we'll see.

But excited Hart is back!
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Kind of an indicator what Favors' personal issue may be. Best wishes to him, of course.

Back in town for Thanksgiving. This will be my 1st home game since we changed to the Pelicans. This should be interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Back in town for Thanksgiving. This will be my 1st home game since we changed to the Pelicans. This should be interesting!
    Take some pics and post them! Try to get one of Ingram dunking on Lebron

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Take some pics and post them! Try to get one of Ingram dunking on Lebron
    Will do.

Given how people were saying the Pelicans might be a fringe 8th seed before the season.

With a healthy Favors, Zion, Ingram, Jrue, plus JJ and Hart on your bench--doesn't that now seem like a playoff team lock? Would anybody reset their expectations if all those guys can get on the floor together before December is over?

If those guys were all playing tonight against the supposed best team in the NBA, I would have seen this game as VERY winnable.

But thats just me.

Someone on Facebook said it is all Laker fans there, so far. Still early.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Given how people were saying the Pelicans might be a fringe 8th seed before the season.

With a healthy Favors, Zion, Ingram, Jrue, plus JJ and Hart on your bench--doesn't that now seem like a playoff team lock? Would anybody reset their expectations if all those guys can get on the floor together before December is over?

If those guys were all playing tonight against the supposed best team in the NBA, I would have seen this game as VERY winnable.

But thats just me.
    Yeah. I agree with this. Full health I think we can get up into the 6th or 7th, reasonably.

They certainly aren’t unbeatable. We have a few boys from LA LA land that have something to prove. I can see them all blowing up tonight.

No 'Zo

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Yeah stomach bug. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

But thats just me.
    I think so as well.

Do the organization a favor and throw a Laker fan on a Laker.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Someone on Facebook said it is all Laker fans there, so far. Still early.
    Laker fans or Lebron fans? Although they are the same right now

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Do the organization a favor and throw a Laker fan on a Laker.
    Who would have thought MM was a Laker fan.

On my way to game now. I better not see McNamara’s

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15749060115691228802104620238123.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	6498Click image for larger version. 

Views:	90 
ID:	6498
    Look at all of those Laker fans! LOL

Thanks for the pic, wish I could be there!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Hayes is a very talented kid..... I hope he has a phenomenal game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191127_192915.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	6500
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	47 
ID:	6499  

Thread Information