Pelicans Report

Thread: Beating the LAKERS

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Beating the LAKERS

I really want the win tonight. It’s very important. If we win it will be a statement from NOLA that we won’t get pushed around. We gotta play hard 48 minutes.

How can we beat them? Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's pretty simple on paper, just hard to execute.

They have two guys around whom everything revolves; it's all Lebron and AD. Stop Lebron and you win. Easier than it sounds.

In more 'helpful' terms, there are a few ways. Lakers are only 18th in the NBA in rebounding, so there should be a focus on trying to dominate the glass; of course that's difficult because we don't have Favors or Zion, who are worth a good 15+ boards every night together.

They're also shooting much better at the rim than their personnel seems to make sense, so rim protection should be a focus; Jax should be having fun there as long as he can avoid getting into foul trouble on AD.

I'd be tempted to say avoid going for the double teams or traps on Lebron, and instead focus on staying home on shooters in order to prevent him from spraying passes all over the court on drives; his rim-finishing is at the lowest it's been for about 12 years, so funnel him inside against interior defenders (again, this is where Favors would be helpful if we had him active) and make sure to cover the corners.

Play heavy on Danny Green. He's an all time great catch and shoot guy, and Lebron's an all time great corner passer; don't let them get clicking.

Make sure our offense is pass heavy. It usually is, which helps, but they have several very good rim protectors so we shouldn't just give them regular looks at the basket on every play; if we can exploit mismatches, that would be useful.
    Basketball.

Make AD and Lebrion run and defend. They're a two pony team. The more they have to run, the more the lack of depth becomes an issue. That plays to our strength and is a tactic we can execute. Shots have to fall.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I think this game we should let Ingram and Jrue run the show. Period. The LAKERS have excellent interior defense. So, my thought is attack the interior.... drive to the basket with BI but
    use Hayes and Okafor as insurance if he and Jrue can’t get fouled or get points.

Gotta get to the FT line and run the pick and roll with Hayes.

I want Kenrich AND Jrue on AD and do not foul AD early in the game. Never leave Danny Green open. Put BI on LeBron. Ingram needs to exert his dominance and this is the perfect way to do it. Guard LeBron and outscore him.

I really hope Ball plays.....

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I really want the win tonight. It’s very important. If we win it will be a statement from NOLA that we won’t get pushed around. We gotta play hard 48 minutes.

How can we beat them? Anyone have any thoughts?

They've already beat 13-3 Denver and 13-5 Clippers, while heavily short-handed.

Theyve quietly made a couple statements already.

But if Favors can't go then my hopes of a W tonights are close to nil. Bad matchup inside.

If I'm the Pels and Favors can't go I think you have to start Okafor over Hayes. At least Okafor has a body that can bang down low. On defense try matching up Jrue on Lebron.

From there you just hope that works. A fully healthy team I like this match up a lot better. Our bench will need to really take advantage of the mismatch. I could go for a Jackson and NAW going off game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    If I'm the Pels and Favors can't go I think you have to start Okafor over Hayes. At least Okafor has a body that can bang down low. On defense try matching up Jrue on Lebron.

From there you just hope that works. A fully healthy team I like this match up a lot better. Our bench will need to really take advantage of the mismatch. I could go for a Jackson and NAW going off game.
    The image of Okafor trying to defend AD is actually one of the funniest things I've pictured recently. Okafor's improved dramatically as a defender from where he was 18 months ago, but he's still confidently worse than Hayes despite Hayes' youth and inexperience, and it's not like bumping Hayes to backup centre where he'll have to deal with Dwight is going to be any easier.

Just let the rookie take his knocks. I have a feeling he'll do well tonight if he can avoid foul trouble.

Agreed with matching Jrue with Lebron though, although I do think it's important to show a lot of different looks to Lebron as well. Jrue as primary defender, but try putting Kenrich on him at times, maybe even BI occasionally for the length issue.

Taking this question a bit further, if you're Gentry, are you trying to play down the emotions of this game to your jilted Ex Lakers and young rooks or are you stoking the flames?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post

I agree. Okafor can finish defense by actually rebounding the ball. Plus he'd do ok guarding AD 1 on 1. What the Pelicans need is better team defense. All 5 players rotating and being in proper position. Being aware of back cuts, corner 3s, being on a string in PnR defense, and so forth.

1 on 1 defense isnt really the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Taking this question a bit further, if you're Gentry, are you trying to play down the emotions of this game to your jilted Ex Lakers and young rooks or are you stoking the flames?
    I don't think it's possible to completely calm them down, but you do have to remind them that this is a team game and that we play best when we're functioning as a unit, moving the ball, and communicating on defense. All long as they're doing that, they can be as fired up as they want.

JJ and Melli need to knock down a lot of 3s. Bring NAW in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I don't think it's possible to completely calm them down, but you do have to remind them that this is a team game and that we play best when we're functioning as a unit, moving the ball, and communicating on defense. All long as they're doing that, they can be as fired up as they want.
    We need to try and reach a point where we can replicate our game against Portland offensively. I don’t want that to be a once in a blue moon effort. We have the talent to do it. Just need to find that consistency

Thread Information