Pelicans Report

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: 24th November - New Orleans Pelicans @ Los Angeles Clippers - 6-10

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Go compare 22 year old Elfrid Payton to 22 year old Lonzo. Elfrid was the better player so far. It's not even about what Lonzo potentially could develop into, right now he's playing at a level where he doesn't even deserve minutes. The entire reason you take a top 2 pick is because you think how good they will be, no one drafts someone at 2 and then says, "just wait until he's halfway through his 2nd contract he's going to be good".
    Maybe.

The one difference though - and we may agree to disagree here -

Lonzo has an actual basketball gift. He’s a top tier elite level passer.

These days I think people get caught up in having a star/superstar at every position when drafting that if they aren’t in the top 5 of their position, it’s time to groom a new toy who could be a superstar to take over his spot.

Understand that the future potential of this team as assembled right now is Zion and Brandon Ingram. What I’m seeing from Jax early can catapult him into that year after year allstar discussion...but to have those guys as your stars, the other players around them may be pieces that best fit with them that will not have the opportunity to be a star. And that’s ok! That’s how the gravity laws of sports usually work.

I need to see Zo with Zion, Ingram and a experienced Hayes...players that can actually allow him to shoot majority of his 3s as pure open set shots...players that can play the “dunk man” when Lonzo drives the paint... before I say ok Zo is trash.

In short, what I’m truly saying is that what Lonzo is and his strengths may be best for our stars. I’d hate to get finally rolling and then say “oh I wish we had a pointguard that could hit our stars in their spots” I don’t care if Lonzo can’t finish at the rim like Kyrie. Sure it would be nice...but that’s a dream team.

It's just time for this teams top 8/9 healthy and on the court. You just can't keep going through an NBA schedule missing so many of the guys you need to win. Especially facing teams who might only be missing their 8th or 9th, if any. Absolutely need Favors and Hart back asap.

Given the difficulty of the schedule plus all the injuries, they aren't in too bad of a spot.

Just keep winning your home games.
    Last edited by luckyman; 11-25-2019 at 09:08 AM.

All that, yes.

Any chance Favors is back for Wed? I mean, AD will be great regardless. When that guy wants to play he can flat out dominate and he is such petty little thing that you best bet he'll be playing like this is a finals game.....but without Favors and Zion.......this might not be watchable.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    All that, yes.

Any chance Favors is back for Wed? I mean, AD will be great regardless. When that guy wants to play he can flat out dominate and he is such petty little thing that you best bet he'll be playing like this is a finals game.....but without Favors and Zion.......this might not be watchable.
    We may very well come out with the same juice though. Anthony isn’t the only one that is petty

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It's just time for this teams top 8/9 healthy and on the court. You just can't keep going through an NBA schedule missing so many of the guys you need to win. Especially facing teams who might only be missing their 8th or 9th, if any. Absolutely need Favors and Hart back asap.

Given the difficulty of the schedule plus all the injuries, they aren't in too bad of a spot.

Just keep winning your home games.
    We have lucked out that so many teams are in transition right now. We legitimately have a shot at the playoffs even if we end with a mediocre record. Just can’t let it get out of hand before our boys get back

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    When Hart is healthy, he should absolutely inherit most of Lonzo's mintues
    No he should take Kennys minutes imo. I would rather slide Ingram over to the 4 until Zion comes back then having Kenny consistency put up stat lines with 0 points or 2 points. We can’t have a black hole in our starting lineup like this because he is an ok defender who pulls down a couple offensive boards a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    Lonzo is 22 years old in his third year.

If it came down to it, the only discouraging thing to me is Lonzos free throw shooting...and he doesn’t get to the line enough to show me he can kick it up a notch....

...but, everything else about his game tells me he’s still so young.

Anyone remember Steve Nash’s first few years? Phoenix dealt him. Then he went to the Mavs and every positive and negative glimpse you see about Lonzo, it was Steve Nash. He stabilized that Mavs team often and they didn’t realize it Mind you, this was Nash at 27-28 doing that..Lonzo is 22 (Nash came into the league at 22) and you can see the glimpses of the coach on the floor aspect with him often. At 26,27,28 when he’s going up against children, don’t come crawling back.

This era is too quick to give up on young players.
    Yea the whole idea that players are done at 22 is getting a little ridiculous. I would have liked to see him play a little better but he has put together some great games along with some pour ones. Do people really think it is asking to much for him to make some better decisions on terms of the shots he is taking? Come on..

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    Maybe.

The one difference though - and we may agree to disagree here -

Lonzo has an actual basketball gift. He’s a top tier elite level passer.

These days I think people get caught up in having a star/superstar at every position when drafting that if they aren’t in the top 5 of their position, it’s time to groom a new toy who could be a superstar to take over his spot.

Understand that the future potential of this team as assembled right now is Zion and Brandon Ingram. What I’m seeing from Jax early can catapult him into that year after year allstar discussion...but to have those guys as your stars, the other players around them may be pieces that best fit with them that will not have the opportunity to be a star. And that’s ok! That’s how the gravity laws of sports usually work.

I need to see Zo with Zion, Ingram and a experienced Hayes...players that can actually allow him to shoot majority of his 3s as pure open set shots...players that can play the “dunk man” when Lonzo drives the paint... before I say ok Zo is trash.

In short, what I’m truly saying is that what Lonzo is and his strengths may be best for our stars. I’d hate to get finally rolling and then say “oh I wish we had a pointguard that could hit our stars in their spots” I don’t care if Lonzo can’t finish at the rim like Kyrie. Sure it would be nice...but that’s a dream team.
    Great post!

Lonzo's biggest problem right now seems to be shot selection. It makes me nuts when he dribbles up the floor and takes a step back 3 with 15 seconds on the shot clock. If they can get him to only shoot set shots that are not contested he could be a very good player. I think he has it in his head that he is a superstar. He needs to pattern his game after someone like Pat Beverly but with elite passing skills. He has the defensive chops, he just needs to cut back on the ill advised shots. I think he hurts us more than he helps right now.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Lonzo's biggest problem right now seems to be shot selection. It makes me nuts when he dribbles up the floor and takes a step back 3 with 15 seconds on the shot clock. If they can get him to only shoot set shots that are not contested he could be a very good player. I think he has it in his head that he is a superstar. He needs to pattern his game after someone like Pat Beverly but with elite passing skills. He has the defensive chops, he just needs to cut back on the ill advised shots. I think he hurts us more than he helps right now.
    Very well put.... I'm glad he has put the work in on his jumpshot, but I would like to see it far less often

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    We may very well come out with the same juice though. Anthony isn’t the only one that is petty
    Haha. Accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I completely agree! I think shot selection of anything is the easiest area for young players to improve on. The only weaknesses Lonzo really has in his game right now is shot selection along with his FT shooting. Every other area he has the talent up there with some of the best guards in the NBA. He is one of the best rebounders, defenders, passers, and has very good athleticism along with elite height/length for the PG position. He has been average from 3pt after reworking his shot this offseason. Will he be a star as he finishes developing? Who knows.. will he be a very good NBA player who plays a big role for a contending team? Yes I believe so and with time he will find out what his role is

Thread Information