Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 23rd November - New Orleans Pelicans @ Utah Jazz - 6-9

Pelicans 23rd November - New Orleans Pelicans @ Utah Jazz - 6-9

6-9? Nice.

Tonight we're still on the road taking on the Utah Jazz. Sadly, Favors is not travelling with the team due to his injury so his return to Utah will have to be delayed. This is a back to back for Utah, who spent last night in a life-and-death 113-109 battle against the Golden State Warriors, which is a good thing for us: Utah is 10-5, which is not a bad record by any means but they have had their struggles, and catching them on the back-side of a big struggle against a terrible team is a good thing.

Here's the injury report:

So pretty much the same as last game, then. I'll update later with the starting line-up so we can see whether Ball is going to remain on the bench or not.

Utah is pretty healthy by contrast, only Ed Davis is out really.

So, what are Utah good at? Simple: defense. They're the number 1 ranked defense in the NBA, and the 24th ranked offense. If we can execute our offense at top level tonight, while simultaneously cranking the defense up the way we generally have recently, this is within reach. Their offense simply isn't good enough to crack through a great defense, whereas we know that ours can be when everything is clicking; so we've gotta click. What does that means?

It means that we have to win the rebounding battle. Utah are 18th in the NBA in rebounds, but 4th in defensive rebounds: if we can crash the offensive glass for second chance points that will help us take away one of their strengths (they don't give up second chance buckets often). As for defending them, it's simple: Utah are 27th in the NBA in assists per game, and are often liable to falling into Mitchell iso-ball at times. Let them, and try to encourage it; stay home on wing shooters, maybe help slightly late at times, and demand that they play a slow, bogged down style. We have guys like Jrue who are obviously skilled enough to take that point-of-attack assignment.

For me, the biggest learning experience tonight will be Jaxson vs Gobert. Jaxson has been really really good recently, there's no real question about that in my mind, but Gobert is elite. He's averaging 13 points and 14 rebounds again, leading the NBA in screen assists, averaging over 2 blocks a night, and he leads the league in defensive rating (94). He's just as tall as Jax, just as long, and heavier. Seeing how Hayes deals with someone like this will be interesting: even though he's probably not going to win that battle, seeing how much resistance he puts up will be very revealing.

Well, that's about it! Let's hope for the win, but even if we lose I don't mind too much as long as we put up a fight. #WBD
    Basketball.

Great write up! I don't think we thank you enough for the time you spend on these every game. So, thanks for making the gameday threads a worthwhile read.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Great write up! I don't think we thank you enough for the time you spend on these every game. So, thanks for making the gameday threads a worthwhile read.
    Thanks, I do my best! I know that some people don't really keep up with other teams so it can be helpful to just get some key points to know what to focus on before heading into a game

Oh?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Oh?
    Could we be witnessing a new version of #pelsife? One in which all of the teams we play have injuries and our superior depth leads to wins?

Stay tuned!

Could we be witnessing a new version of #pelsife? One in which all of the teams we play have injuries and our superior depth leads to wins?

Stay tuned!
    I'd say it's not really a new version, since we're still getting injured too. It's more like the old version has just become contagious

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    C'mon Jazz, sit Rudy. Think long term.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    C'mon Jazz, sit Rudy. Think long term.
    Exactly! C'mon, we're the Pelicans, we're a sub-.500 team. You can beat us without Gobert.

Please think that.

The Franchise
    Yea I don't think he gets enough credit for this.. I certainly appreciate it.

Rudy Gobert still uncertain to play or not. He's a hugely impactful player. Him being active is the difference between expecting a solid win, to hoping to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Rudy Gobert still uncertain to play or not. He's a hugely impactful player. Him being active is the difference between expecting a solid win, to hoping to survive.
    Part of me wants to see how Jax does against Gobert. The rest of me wants Rudy to sit this one out.

Probably a 1/99 split lol

Just a reminder: when Gobert is on the court, the Utah Jazz play at a +7.3, and when he sits, they play at a -6.3.

Ed Davis is injured, so if Gobert is out they are incredibly thin in terms of rebounding, interior defense, and rim protection.

If Gobert sits, they are down to Jeff Green and Tony Bradley as their two tallest/biggest guys. Neither of them are hugely impactful players and neither of them are really big parts of Utah's system (Green plays about 18 minutes a night and Bradley plays about 9), and Green isn't even a centre.

If Gobert is out, the rim should be in everyone's sights, all game long. Jax should be rolling to the rim constantly, Ingram and Jrue should be driving every other possession, penetration should be the watch-word of the game.

However, if Gobert is playing, ignore all of that.

Yes. Absolutely a great write up (and always is).
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

LET'S GO

Should be a season high in drives tonight! Jaxson Jaxson Jaxson!

I fully expect a win tonight with Gobert out.

It would be really nice to actually have a comfortable blow out win tonight for a change.

Probably wishful thinking tho....

Won’t be able to watch the game live.. so I’ll get to the stupid game posts from our PelicansReport experts later. Hindsight is on my side tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Won’t be able to watch the game live.. so I’ll get to the stupid game posts from our PelicansReport experts later. Hindsight is on my side tonight!
    Can you not jinx us with your stupidity and arrogance? Christ mate

First two minutes of offense are... uh...

Not good.

Maybe it seems reactionary, and I totally don't blame him for not doing this, but I almost feel like a Coach Pop style ''pull every starter in embarrassment'' right now feels right.

Offense has been so lazy. I don't think I've seen a single drive so far, passes have been slow and lazy, and on defense people aren't even closing out on their shooters.

Not a good start by any means. It’s very early, but we need to get it together. Don’t lose this game in the 1st quarter

Redick trying to go 1-on-1 to start the game should not be an option.

Hopefully this is the last game he starts and can go to a better fit 6th man.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Can you not jinx us with your stupidity and arrogance? Christ mate
    LoL like you want us to win anyway.. all y’all do is whine and claim luck when we win and play coach/gym when we lose.. mute me

We need those shots from JJ....mmbut we also need Ball initiating the offense......but we also need Jrue......lol

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Not a good start by any means. It’s very early, but we need to get it together. Don’t lose this game in the 1st quarter

Yea so many games are lost in the 1st quarter..

Why would Jrue pass that out for the 3 when he was two steps away from the rim with only one defender back?

Thread Information