Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 21st November - New Orleans Pelicans @ Phoenix Suns - 5-9

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

That's 4 straight games where the Pels DRTG has been off the charts good with Jax on the floor. Some of it is luck, yes, but Jax is doing really well when he gets on the court.
    I’m starting to think it’s not luck. He was playing the pick n roll to perfection tonight. His only problem was swiping down on the forced drives. None the less, he was always in position to protect the rim. He is really blossoming quickly and I believe it will be huge for Pels as the year goes along. Imagine all three centers being healthy, and one gets in foul trouble. The drop off is starting to become less and less.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    I’m starting to think it’s not luck. He was playing the pick n roll to perfection tonight. His only problem was swiping down on the forced drives. None the less, he was always in position to protect the rim. He is really blossoming quickly and I believe it will be huge for Pels as the year goes along. Imagine all three centers being healthy, and one gets in foul trouble. The drop off is starting to become less and less.
    What I mean by luck is that obviously the team's DRTG counts all shots, and that means that missed open-threes (we had a few of those tonight) count when he's on court when he obviously has nothing to do with those misses. Similarly, he shares a lot of time on the floor with Jrue, who is a very good defender, which helps.

But yeah you are right, he's shown some really dramatic development on defense since Summer League and his learning curve has been quick as heck.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    What I mean by luck is that obviously the team's DRTG counts all shots, and that means that missed open-threes (we had a few of those tonight) count when he's on court when he obviously has nothing to do with those misses. Similarly, he shares a lot of time on the floor with Jrue, who is a very good defender, which helps.

But yeah you are right, he's shown some really dramatic development on defense since Summer League and his learning curve has been quick as heck.
    Another thing I noticed is the shot selection by the opponent when he is on the court. Phx settled for mostly jumpers, but when Melli came in, they attacked the rack. That’s a good sign that he is already being feared as a paint protector. I know it’s obvious to attack Melli, but it used to be obvious to attack a 19 year old, slim framed rookie as well. So much potential in this kid!

Another thing I noticed is the shot selection by the opponent when he is on the court. Phx settled for mostly jumpers, but when Melli came in, they attacked the rack. That’s a good sign that he is already being feared as a paint protector. I know it’s obvious to attack Melli, but it used to be obvious to attack a 19 year old, slim framed rookie as well. So much potential in this kid!
    Well, Hayes prior to this game was the first Pelicans rookie to have 3 consecutive games with at least 2 blocks since Jeff Withey in 2014 so if he does have a reputation, he's been earning it. Coming into this game, he was 12th in the NBA in blk%age (doesn't hit the leaderboards cause he hasn't played enough minutes yet, but 5.4% comes just after Alex Len at 11).

Hayes plays so hard that the opposing team always thinks he’s liable to make the extra effort...even when he may be out of the play. It’s going to be fun watching him grow.

I think the Pels are just in the perfect situation of vets and rookies putting pressure on each other. The stealing of minutes is a beautiful thing when it’s a healthy internal competition. That’s a real thing I think right now in the locker room.

Jrue was amazing defensively tonight. He was constantly around the ball and I think Reggie said he was up to 8 deflections in the game? (That Reggie Zion take is the epitome of Reggie commentating. Just dumb. He always commentates like it’s a horror show/ambulance right around the corner) I look at Devin Booker...and I think Jrue may as well ...look at him as one of his comparison rivals and he may have cemented himself head and shoulders as a player above Book tonight. At least he did to me. Talking eye test here on both ends.

BI - Adidas has to be calling up their old TMac designers working on his sig as we speak. He can cross the 23 point line so easily now...even on what was a nightmare night for him for most the way.

Finally...I know we Loooove to diss E’Twaun ...but hats off to that man. JJ set the table but Moore deserves credit for that second half. He hit timely shots tonight.

Big grind out win!

With a 6-9 record, we are now the sole holders of the 10th seed in the West. The Kings (9th) are 6-7, and the Suns (8th) are 7-7.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Great insight from Kenny on the postgame show!
    What he say?

Jaxson Hayes is now averaging 2.8 screen assists per game.
    He is 15th in the NBA in screen assists per 36 minutes (among players with at least 200 minutes played).

He is the youngest player in the top 50 in both screen assists per game, and screen assists per 36: no other player is under 20.

Among players under the age of 21, Hayes is:

- First in Screen Assists per 36
    - Third in Screen Assists per game
    - Second in points off Screen Assists
    - Seventh in deflections
    - 13th in Shots Contested (5th in 2pt contests)
    - Second in total blocks
    - Ninth in Total Rebounds (3rd in offensive rebounds)
    - Eleventh in Total Steals
    - Tenth in Stl%age
    - Third in Blk%age
    - Tenth in points off turnovers

Lots of good numbers there
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 11-22-2019 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    Finally...I know we Loooove to diss E’Twaun ...but hats off to that man. JJ set the table but Moore deserves credit for that second half. He hit timely shots tonight.

Big grind out win!
    We? Not me. I like Etwaun. Great shooter and he's good at what he does.

I also think he'll bring back some good things when traded later.

Also espntmz has Hart out with a high ankle sprain. This true? If so he'll be missing for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Also espntmz has Hart out with a high ankle sprain. This true? If so he'll be missing for a while.
    From the moment he got injured, it looked like his knee. All the injury reports from the Pels have said knee as well.

The 3rd QTR run while Hayes was on the floor. They didn't even try a single 2pt shoot. He anchors in the paint with help and that alone was enough deterrent to stop what was working in the 2QT.

Granted though... Gentry needs to to stop the 4 Guard line up. You know how you get a cold team to get hot. Give up eaay points at the rim and let them build a rhythm/confidence.

Pels have finally found their closer and his name is Brandon Ingram. What a performance in crunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

We meaning me included.

Nights like last night are great, but he’s not the greatest basketball IQ player on the floor most nights. He’s like a old school backyard basketball player and I can see the attraction Gentry (a 65 year old) has with him because of that. Last night he hit his shots and I want to give him credit...but most of the time he does deserve the lashing he gets. But hats off to that man last night!

I need a bounce back game from NAW though. I hate the situation he was placed in only to basically be yanked because of that bad turnover. I do believe Gentry’s highlight skill as a coach is his ability to make young players want to please him while never losing their confidence. Utah doesn’t have a second year player like Jevon in the mold of Keith Bogans who’s fighting for his career out there so hopefully we get a bounce back game out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    The 3rd QTR run while Hayes was on the floor. They didn't even try a single 2pt shoot. He anchors in the paint with help and that alone was enough deterrent to stop what was working in the 2QT.

Granted though... Gentry needs to to stop the 4 Guard line up. You know how you get a cold team to get hot. Give up eaay points at the rim and let them build a rhythm/confidence.

I think last night ...not speaking on the first half, because I agree that 4 guard lineup was disastrous in the first half when we lost that lead....But last night in the second half you could tell based on the heartbeat of the game Gentry was itching to keep Jaxson out there. He would have played him the entire second half if he could have lol (and if Hayes didn’t pick up those rookie whistles). His presence was that good last night.

Wow did Ingram come up clutch or what? He could't get anything to fall for four quarters then BAM! 4th Quarter was all his. I love this kid. I love this team when healthy, just as long as we don't go four guards.

We were missing Okafor, Favors, and Zion. Because of the way the modern day NBA works, we already went into the season with less bigs than normal, but when you're also missing your top 3, you're forced to do lineup changes that aren't necessarily the best.

The dude is so negative he's essentially a troll. Best to ignore him.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    We were missing Okafor, Favors, and Zion. Because of the way the modern day NBA works, we already went into the season with less bigs than normal, but when you're also missing your top 3, you're forced to do lineup changes that aren't necessarily the best.

Who is the troll?

Great win! Sad I couldn't stay up to watch, but it looks like BI and JJ were on fire and Jax has really solidified the C spot with his defense. The great thing is he will only get better as he grows into his frame. It will be interesting to see how we lineup this weekend against Utah. Whether Ball gets more time with Jrue to help us match-up against Mitchell and Conley.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    LoL you fangirling for Kenny because he had 9 rebounds yet ignore Moore’s 19 points off the bench on 8-12 shooting? Yet you try to bash it with the old +/-.. sad!

i told you ingram was going to step up and take over in the second half lol...dude was in foul trouble and still playing defense....you,,luckyman,,myself and one or two other posters were saying ingram was going to avg 20pts for us but was shot down with just stats but the eye test also means something when critiquing a player......we have to lock this dude up to hold down our SF spot....

as for moore,,he was our best 3pt shooter last season and good at moving without the ball and slashing to the rim for the pass and score with his floater..he can get 10 easy points just doing that....moore had some big games for us last season until he got hurt........moore need consistent mins until the trade deadline and he can get us 12-15pts.......sad thing is that we will keep seeing petty comments about moore every game thread just nitpicking.......

and im glade gentry didnt play NAW...he has been bad not running the offense and just jacking up shots....sitting him down for some games might get him on the right track.....it did frank some good last season when gentry sat him after the first GS game when frank look like a deer in the headlights.....after the trade deadline frank was playing good ball and got his stuff together in the off season and now frank has up his game some imo.....

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

You want Favors back? LOL

What I liked about last night is some players really stepped up and made shots when we needed to make them. What I hope we improve on is cutting the massive lulls in play where we struggle to do anything coherent on the court for 7.5 minutes. When you are making shots, you can mask it, but the last 7 minutes of the 2nd quarter we couldn’t buy a basket.

I’m okay with shots not falling. Sometimes they just don’t fall. Don’t make it easy on the defense and stop the ball. Make em chase it and force them to make desperate switches and traps so that we can get open players. And less of the BAD turnovers that result in easy buckets. Overall, I’m proud of the guys for pulling it out.

JJ proving to be a shrewd signing. BI really gives me a lot of hope for the future with Zion. He seems really happy to be here which almost brings a tear to my eye. Hayes looks a hell of a prospect. Can’t wait to see Zion on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Awesome. More ridiculous troll rhetoric to bump later.

Question ladies and germs....

When is the earliest Zion will be able to play? Mid-December, later?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PelDave View Post
    Question ladies and germs....

When is the earliest Zion will be able to play? Mid-December, later?

Thanks.
    His 6 - 8 week timeline would be from call it December 3rd - 17th. Possibly longer given some of the return language by the FO of 'we will not rush it.'

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Yes. Hell yes. Do you watch basketball?

Thread Information