Pelicans Report

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 19th November - New Orleans Pelicans VS Portland Trailblazers - 4-9

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I wouldn't disagree that as of today, Favors is better than Hayes, but I do think that the preference for Hayes can be based on long-term development. If Favors is going to be not-his-full-self, then I'd prefer to sacrifice some of his minutes to Hayes as well, rather than feed not-top-form Favors 35 minutes a night because while Favors may still be better at that reduced level, Hayes is the 19 year old under contract for 4 years, and therefore he's the guy I'm prioritising development time with.
    Again I just flat out disagree. Team has no reason to sacrifice time and games like that.

And it does not hurt Hayes' development. He has LOADS of time on his side. His time as a full time starter will be here soon enough.

Now on another note, the league has to redo this "official height" crap. No way in hell Ingram plays anywhere near 6'7".

Just get a standard pair of shoes and socks and measure them all that way.

Listen, I know Hayes has his lapses sometimes, and his lack of strength can bite him occasionally. He's not all-defense yet. I fully admit that. I'm not trying to pretend he's superman.

But come on
    All i really got is that Gentry shouldn't be cute with only playing 1 big and 4 sgs.

Having a tall center in the paint is a solid deterrent for most guards. Plus, Gentry has him anchored in the paint on defense with solid help.

Also... Only 2 fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

Also... Only 2 fouls.
    That's so huge for me. He's not a foul machine. Usually with young bigs, you either get them playing defense (in which case they foul a lot) or not playing it at all (in which case they don't). It's relatively uncommon to have a young big who is really active on defense, getting blocks, steals, screening, boxing out, etc, who manages to avoid becoming a foul machine. It's great to see.

He needs to add strength and muscle, we all know that, but he's learning to use his length and height pretty quickly.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Again I just flat out disagree. Team has no reason to sacrifice time and games like that.

And it does not hurt Hayes' development. He has LOADS of time on his side. His time as a full time starter will be here soon enough.

Now on another note, the league has to redo this "official height" crap. No way in hell Ingram plays anywhere near 6'7".

Just get a standard pair of shoes and socks and measure them all that way.
    Ehhhh... I rather develop Hayes 20 minutes a night and just trade out Favors. I'm not a fan becoming treadmill team and Favor ain't winning us anything. Hayes on the other hand could bring us a title

Ehhhh... I rather develop Hayes 20 minutes a night and just trade out Favors.
    I'm not even saying not to play Favors at all. I'm just saying, you've got 48 minutes at centre to go around. I don't see why you can't give 30 of them to Favors and 18 to Jax.

You'll notice that looks to be squeezing Okafor out. It is.

I'm not even saying not to play Favors at all. I'm just saying, you've got 48 minutes at centre to go around. I don't see why you can't give 30 of them to Favors and 18 to Jax.

You'll notice that looks to be squeezing Okafor out. It is.
    I don't know... Favor to me has been a disappointment outside of one game.

I don't know... Favor to me has been a disappointment outside of one game.
    I think that's pretty harsh. He's obviously had some down games, but he's had more than 1 good game.

Hayes should be getting all of Okafor's minutes, is what I'm saying

Hayes is just as good if not better than what most of us were expecting out of AD in his rookie year. That is as a player and entertainment value.

Favors at Center might win you more games but this team is no doubt more fun to watch with Hayes running up and down the court. The entertainment value i would bet holds more weight than some of us think.

With that said, i would like to see Favors, Oak, and Hayes split time more evenly at Center depending on matchups and who seems to be playing more well balanced at the time. Give Hayes more time when we seem to just be having fun out there because man he is fun to watch as he inserts himself into every play it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it will be really interesting to see what Hayes can do when Zion returns.

Zion will command a lot of double teams down low. Should allow for a lot of easy dunks and put backs for Hayes.

We had a very tough start to the season. if we can win a few more before Zion returns, we can still make the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Hayes is just as good if not better than what most of us were expecting out of AD in his rookie year. That is as a player and entertainment value.

Favors at Center might win you more games but this team is no doubt more fun to watch with Hayes running up and down the court. The entertainment value i would bet holds more weight than some of us think.

With that said, i would like to see Favors, Oak, and Hayes split time more evenly at Center depending on matchups and who seems to be playing more well balanced at the time. Give Hayes more time when we seem to just be having fun out there because man he is fun to watch as he inserts himself into every play it seems.

I agree with this. How did Oak fall out of favor so quickly!? Keep running the three bigs.

Jaxson Hayes per 36 over the last 3 games

14.5pts, 9.5rbds, 1.9stls, 3.8blks
    64% FG, 70%FT

+26 +/-
    1.63 points per shot
    81.6% True Shooting

5 fouls in 77 minutes of play

Quote Originally Posted by HartOfaPelican View Post
    I agree with this. How did Oak fall out of favor so quickly!? Keep running the three bigs.
    Probably because despite being a 19 year old rookie who needs to gain 30lbs and has barely played 200 minutes of NBA basketball in his life, Jaxson Hayes is already a better defender, better screener, more effective in transition, and a more reliable roll man.

Nobody would deny that Okafor is better at creating his own shot right now, of course he is, and he has a much more refined offensive game. But if we're a fully healthy team and we're in situations where we desperately need a back to the basket centre to generate our offense, we're not in the best place we could be, to say the least.

Okafor should be a situational big, Hayes should be getting as many minutes as he can responsibly handle (which I'd argue is about 20 per night).

We are currently 13th in the West, having taken over Portland with this win.

Suffering another loss, OKC dropped a little in the rankings. We are now tied at 5-9 with OKC, San Antonio, and Memphis. That ''13th'' ranking is a little discouraging, but when you realise that it's the same record as 10th, it looks a bit brighter.

Long season. We're 16 games in. Not even a quarter of the way through yet: lot of games to come.

Only 2.5 out if the playoffs. Lol
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post

It's all entertainment value as long as they are winning. They start losing with a healthy Favors only getting 20-25 minutes and this "development" tune will change real quick. It's how message boards work.

And Favors has given this team very solid double doubles his last 3 games, with the last game on an elite level. 20/20 games against contending teams don't grow on trees.

But, he isn't super young and bouncy, so there you go.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Only 2.5 out if the playoffs. Lol
    The best thing about the cold streak in the beginning of the season is that there's so much room for growth and correcting the mistakes. They probably felt a little cocky after dominating the preseason, and then got a hard reality check.

Excited for the future of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by kinglio21093 View Post
    The best thing about the cold streak in the beginning of the season is that there's so much room for growth and correcting the mistakes. They probably felt a little cocky after dominating the preseason, and then got a hard reality check.

Excited for the future of this season.
    The fact that Jaxson Hayes is getting considerable playing time right now and producing washes away all the pain from Zion getting hurt early.

We’ve found our footing.

Suns game will be a fun one.

I am very pleased with the team we have assembled. Defense needs work but looks to be getting better. I feel like our draft class was solid with what I have seen so far. I really like that both Jrue and BI were able to break 20 while also contributing elsewhere on the floor. This team has the potential to be special down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    The fact that Jaxson Hayes is getting considerable playing time right now and producing washes away all the pain from Zion getting hurt early.

We’ve found our footing.

Suns game will be a fun one.

Two players were sent back down this morning.

Looks like we should have Hart and Zo back for the Suns game. Will be a good game for sure.

Glad we are getting some bodies back, but one thing that’s settled for me is that Jrue and JJ should be the starting backcourt until further notice. They compliment each other and are both savvy vets who know how to play and how to lead their team. I’m bringing Lonzo off the bench, at least for the time being...

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It's all entertainment value as long as they are winning. They start losing with a healthy Favors only getting 20-25 minutes and this "development" tune will change real quick. It's how message boards work.

And Favors has given this team very solid double doubles his last 3 games, with the last game on an elite level. 20/20 games against contending teams don't grow on trees.

But, he isn't super young and bouncy, so there you go.
    I'm with Pelicanidae. I would like Favors to be the primary center, but Hayes to get all of the backup minutes. I'm not sure if Okafor brings enough to not take the opportunity to continue to develop Hayes.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    I'm with Pelicanidae. I would like Favors to be the primary center, but Hayes to get all of the backup minutes. I'm not sure if Okafor brings enough to not take the opportunity to continue to develop Hayes.
    It's not solely what Okafor does or doesn't bring onto the floor, either (although that is certainly part of it, I'm totally with you that Okafor's skillset isn't versatile enough to warrant him knocking Hayes into third place of the rotation), but it's opportunity cost. You mentioned that, but I'm going to give a bit more detail on it just to clarify the point.

Hayes is 19, and doesn't turn 20 until next May. He's on a cost controlled rookie deal with team options out for another 4 years, taking us all the way until the end of the 2022-23 season.

Okafor turns 24 in December, and he's a free agent this upcoming summer.

Now, I know there's a lot of quibbling and squabbling over exactly when players stop ''developing'' and become truly representative of themselves, but I think we would all agree that Hayes (aged 19) has more developmental time ahead of him than Jahlil (aged 23, almost 24). Given that, at age 19 with years more 'development time' ahead of him, Hayes is already producing at a level fairly close to what Jah is giving us, and in fact is superior to Jah in several ways, it seems obvious to me that you would prioritise Jax over Okafor. Even if playing Okafor only slows down Hayes' development by, I don't know, 15%, why would you sacrifice that 15% improvement for the sake of feeding minutes into a guy who isn't likely to get much better than he already is, and who might not even be here in a year?

Considering Portland is banged up too we are beating banged up teams but a win is a win and if we can use this to better gel we will get much better. So far slowly progressing. We will just have to be patient.

Thread Information