Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Favors to have back surgery; recovery is typically 1 to 4 weeks

Again, the injury problems started when Monty was here. So it doesnt have anything to do with pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Melli can’t defend anyone on the court. Especially, not the paint. It can’t hurt to swap Bigby with Zylan, who has done nothing. I’d swap Gray with Adams too
    You can't just swap anyone anytime you want. Gray and Cheatham have two way contracts, so we can call them up. To call up some other random, like KVB, you'd have to sign them to a 10 day contract, and I don't think you can even sign 10 day contracts this early into the season (Don't they have a deadline, where you can't sign someone to one before a certain point?).

Even if you could, Melli may not be a defensive stalwart: what makes you think KVB is any different? KVB showed very little in summer league, and Melli at least can shoot which helps space the court.
    Basketball.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You can't just swap anyone anytime you want. Gray and Cheatham have two way contracts, so we can call them up. To call up some other random, like KVB, you'd have to sign them to a 10 day contract, and I don't think you can even sign 10 day contracts this early into the season (Don't they have a deadline, where you can't sign someone to one before a certain point?).

Even if you could, Melli may not be a defensive stalwart: what makes you think KVB is any different? KVB showed very little in summer league, and Melli at least can shoot which helps space the court.
    Yeah I just looked it up. They would have to terminate a 2 way contract. I’m a big LSU fan and KVB is a solid rim protector and pick n roll player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    That's fine. This season is all about player development. All the injuries give the organization all the excuse they need to play rooks big minutes, develop them, and lose games. Hopefully this also allows us to get him back on a cheaper deal for a couple years while Jaxson continues to develop.
    I can assure you, with the roster Griff put together, making this season all about player development is plan C. Especially with the emergence of Ingram.

And still is plan C if some of these injured players can get back on the floor in the next few games.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I can assure you, with the roster Griff put together, making this season all about player development is plan C. Especially with the emergence of Ingram.

And still is plan C if some of these injured players can get back on the floor in the next few games.
    Player development is 100% the absolute top priority this season. We still have potentially 7 years of Lakers picks combined with our own to build this roster.

Does that mean it's the only thing we want to do? Absolutely not. Especially as you pointed out with the emergence of Ingram. Player development is not a mutually exclusive thing. But it is the top priority, especially because of the massive amount of injuries we've had.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Player development is 100% the absolute top priority this season. We still have potentially 7 years of Lakers picks combined with our own to build this roster.

Does that mean it's the only thing we want to do? Absolutely not. Especially as you pointed out with the emergence of Ingram. Player development is not a mutually exclusive thing. But it is the top priority, especially because of the massive amount of injuries we've had.
    It's not the top priority. It's simply on the list but not at the top.

Establishing a winning culture is top priority and wasn't just lip service. If developing young players was the main aim, then this team would look more like Atlanta. You don't go sign Favors, Redick, and keep Jrue if your top priority is to develop young players, who's best development happens in real NBA games. That is just a complete slap in the face of all 3 of those vets who could have easily signed elsewhere.

Especially now that all three of those players (plus Ingram and Josh) have already established high ceilings within the first 3 weeks in Pelicans uniforms. Even if your *top* priority was somehow just to develop your youth, that has to have changed by now if you have a healthy roster.

It's not the top priority. It's simply on the list but not at the top.

Establishing a winning culture is top priority and wasn't just lip service. If developing young players was the main aim, then this team would look more like Atlanta. You don't go sign Favors, Redick, and keep Jrue if your top priority is to develop young players, who's best development happens in real NBA games. That is just a complete slap in the face of all 3 of those vets who could have easily signed elsewhere.

Especially now that all three of those players (plus Ingram and Josh) have already established high ceilings within the first 3 weeks in Pelicans uniforms. Even if your *top* priority was somehow just to develop your youth, that has to have changed by now if you have a healthy roster.
    Griffin already stated that he didn't think the market could sustain a Philly or Phoenix level of rebuild here. That's the reason he got Favors and Reddick and kept Jrue. That doesn't mean the top priority isn't player development. It is. That's the reason Griffin has said it's a multi year time table. It's not a slap in the face of any of those players because they all CHOSE to be here. Even Jrue could have demanded a trade but didn't. They knew this was a young team with a lot of development to take place and wanted to be here.

We can cross the bridge of what our priorities actually are healthy when we actually get there. For the foreseeable future at least, it's player development.

Again, the injury problems started when Monty was here. So it doesnt have anything to do with pace.
    The injury problems with Monty were entirely flukey and should not be in your mind when considering our modern problems. Jrue came over from Philly with an undisclosed leg injury and AD is a walking minor injury. If you do want to compare, however, Ryno injured his back in a transition play; and Tyreke was perpetually out of control.

I’m curious to see how many people believe that play style is a cause for the injuries. It’s more than just the pace. I think it’s the knee-jerk reckless play along with pace that does it. “Oh you go this way, so I’ll go that way” movements. When players are constantly changing direction, I can’t help but think it takes its toll on the body. Bottom line is that the team injuries could probably benefit from more on court structure.

...we get to go McDonalds
    Regardless of whether it causes injury, the Pelicans have to get better from the halfcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime View Post
    Regardless of whether it causes injury, the Pelicans have to get better from the halfcourt.
    Amen. Been saying it for years. We have only managed to stay somewhat competitive because of talent and depth. We have to become a better team in general.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Amen. Been saying it for years. We have only managed to stay somewhat competitive because of talent and depth. We have to become a better team in general.
    Which is why most of us blame Alvin for the team underachieving every year.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We aren't even the fastest paced team in the league. And if we are, it's not by a significant margin. And yet, none of the other teams have similar injury histories.

Pace isn't the issue. There isn't really an issue. It's just happening. Us people love to find meaning behind things. Makes this cruel, indifferent universe something palatable. Something we can understand and even control.

I guess this is a blessing in disguise. NAW and Hayes will get so much PT it will allow them to mature and adapt to the game much faster. I wish we could see a ball,jrue,Ingram,Zion,Favors lineup but I guess we can settle for developing the young core.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    We aren't even the fastest paced team in the league. And if we are, it's not by a significant margin. And yet, none of the other teams have similar injury histories.

Pace isn't the issue. There isn't really an issue. It's just happening. Us people love to find meaning behind things. Makes this cruel, indifferent universe something palatable. Something we can understand and even control.
    I sincerely hope the medical staff isnt taking that opinion, as we'll never find a cause if that's the case. I outlined the injuries that the teams above us have had as well. Gordon and Middleton are both already out with significant lower leg injuries.

This is an actual important thing to monitor considering the absurd frequency of our injuries. We've been at the top of the league in pace for 3 straight years and have had consistent roster turnover throughout those years. That means that we're bringing in players who are not used to running this much and asking them to do so on a nightly basis. It may be nothing, but it should at the very least be considered as a plausible reason.
    Last edited by pelafanatic; 11-19-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I sincerely hope the medical staff isnt taking that opinion, as we'll never find a cause if that's the case. I outlined the injuries that the teams above us have had as well. Gordon and Middleton are both already out with significant lower leg injuries.

This is an actual important thing to monitor considering the absurd frequency of our injuries. We've been at the top of the league in pace for 3 straight years and have had consistent roster turnover throughout those years. That means that we're bringing in players who are not used to running this much and asking them to do so on a nightly basis. It may be nothing, but it should at the very least be considered as a plausible reason.
    The new beat writer Christian Clark talked about it in his pod. He agrees with you. He mentioned Favors and how coming from a much slower system could result in the body not being used to constant running. These thoughts are not being overlooked. The team is aware of it and Clark believes adjustments are being made.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Did Clark also mention/know that Favors had knee and back issues from playing in the Jazz’ slow paced system?

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Did Clark also mention/know that Favors had knee and back issues from playing in the Jazz’ slow paced system?
    Favors played 76 games last season and 77 the season before

Favors played 76 games last season and 77 the season before
    Is that a way to avoid the question? Favors suffered from knee soreness and back spasms while in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Is that a way to avoid the question? Favors suffered from knee soreness and back spasms while in Utah.
    This isnt a deposition. All I'm trying to do is come up with some potential answers in this thread. I'm really not even focused on Favors in particular since his is a back issue. Its not an attack on anyone, its just an open dialogue on the injury issue instead of just tossing everything up to chance and bad luck.

Some of it is chance and bad luck, unfortunately.

Some of it is also due to general injury-prone dispositions. Can anyone deny that Lonzo, for example, has been generally injury prone even before coming to the Pels? The dude played 47 games last year, and 52 the year before, and those were on teams that (while fast at the time) would be considered relatively slow teams today: Lonzo's rookie Lakers played with a pace of 100.2, which was good for 2nd in the NBA that year but doesn't crack the top 20 so far this year (100.3 is the Jazz's current pace, 20th in the league).

Similarly, with BI, while he played 79 games in his rookie year, he followed it up with 59 in his sophomore season and 52 last year. Is there any reason we should be blaming this on pace rather than just his general physical tendency towards injury/illness?

What about Hart? 63 games his rookie year, 67 games his second year: missing 15+ games is normal for him so far in his career.

This isnt a deposition. All I'm trying to do is come up with some potential answers in this thread. I'm really not even focused on Favors in particular since his is a back issue. Its not an attack on anyone, its just an open dialogue on the injury issue instead of just tossing everything up to chance and bad luck.
    Totally fair, and I didn’t mean for my post to be so short. Understand I’m just frustrated on the topic like everyone else, as it makes no sense and is entirely unfair to us as fans.

I’ve heard this blame placed on pace, and I certainly don’t think it’s completely without validity. More plays run, more chance for injury is something to consider for sure. But making it the reason, while also blaming running a lot. And if someone is using Favors as an example of their hypothesis, I have to call BS. Especially knowing that Favors came here with these exact same injuries suffered last season on a slow paced Jazz team.

Lonzo, Hart and Ingram were all injured last season at various points, before they ever came here.

My nature is to be completely against simply saying bad luck. No, I don’t think this many years of off the chart suffering is coincidence. But I don’t like the idea of saying all of our injuries comes from making our guys run. The whole league pushes pace. No one has had to deal with the issues that we have over such a long period of time.

Well the team hasnt said anything about surgery for Favors yet.

Seems he has a history.

https://www.slcdunk.com/nba-free-age...xtension-worry

Are we better without Favors? I say yes. Cut him!

Thread Information