Pelicans Report

Thread: Freelance

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar

Question Freelance

Ok, I’m sure everyone has seen or heard about JJ Redick’s comments in regards to Alvin’s offense. He in good terms said the Pelicans have the option to do whatever they want on the court because they don’t want to be predictable. He mentioned drawing up plays as something they don’t really do either. So, what is everyone’s thoughts? In my opinion, it made things more clear, while making Gentry look worse. The Pels are basically playing the same offense we run at the gym for pickup games.

I literally called this. It was obvious. It makes us unpredictable, but you have to have someone that can run an offense. And you have to draw up plays when things are going south. We struggle in both departments.
    Last edited by JJackisangry; 11-13-2019 at 07:12 PM.

our defense looks like its on freelance as well

Yeah, I'm not a fan.

Obviously there's a time and a place for absolute freelancing, and sometimes it works. That's particularly true when everyone is clicking, people are having 'good days' in terms of making reads and recognising the defense, but those days aren't every day. Hell, they aren't even every quarter within the same day.

There needs to be some basic set of offensive plays that the guys are all familiar with that can be run either when things start sticking, or when a mis-match is recognised.

In at least two games now, we've had long stretches where we've been completely ineffective in the half-court because of a lack of off-ball movement and offensive versatility. When everyone's passing is on point, a free flowing offense can lead to those awesome sequences we sometimes have where the ball flies around and everyone gets touches and the opposing defense doesn't really know what to do: that's fun and it works. But there are other times where we just cannot make anything happen and within a framework within which guys can play, you end up with Lonzo taking pull-up midrange jumpers or Jahlil Okafor taking 15 foot push shots or Jrue having to just dribble into a wall and hope he can make something happen, and it's no good.

Even something as simple as having a few standard pick and roll sets with pre-planned off-ball motion would help a lot. There have been times in a few games where we've run a simple PnR action with Jrue or Ingram as the ball handler, and it's gotten us unstuck in bad situations, but despite having a good run there (either due to a mismatch, or - as in the Charlotte game - having an opposing guard who cannot defend the PnR) we just don't go back to it. Why? I hesitate to say it's because guys are trying to be unpredictable and run more free-flowing offense than the traditional PnR, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was at least an aspect of it.

Been largely disappointed with the lack of cutting so far, which would make sense if we're legitimately running a nearly zero-play offense. Cuts are something that, unless a player has great feel for, are planned/drawn up. Currently, cuts make up 5.8% of our offense, which is 18th in the NBA.

Right now, according to NBA.com, our offense is:

Cuts: 5.8%
    Transition: 17.9%
    Isolation: 6.2%
    PnR Ball-handler: 16.8% (21st in the NBA)
    PnR Roll-man: 4.2% (30th in the NBA)
    Post Ups: 3.1%
    Spot Ups: 23.9% (1st in NBA)
    Hand-offs: 4.9% (19th in NBA)
    Off Screens: 5.9%
    Putbacks: 4.5% (21st in NBA)
    Misc: 6.7

To me, that tells me that our offense isn't particularly unpredictable. If we don't get it in transition, we're either going to go for a spot up 3 or the ball-handler is going to try and score in the PnR. The roller doesn't really even get involved most of the time, we don't cut, we don't run dribble hand-off action, and we don't have the kind of shooters who run around screens.

There's a reason that despite the fact our pace is so high, allowing us to score a lot of points, our offensive efficiency is currently 14th in the NBA. It's about as average as it gets, because our offense is so simple, so predictable, and so plain that in the half-court, 49% of our offense comes either from spot up shooters or simple ballhandler creating for themselves. That's begging for the coach to mix things up a little.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a fan.

Obviously there's a time and a place for absolute freelancing, and sometimes it works. That's particularly true when everyone is clicking, people are having 'good days' in terms of making reads and recognising the defense, but those days aren't every day. Hell, they aren't even every quarter within the same day.

There needs to be some basic set of offensive plays that the guys are all familiar with that can be run either when things start sticking, or when a mis-match is recognised.

In at least two games now, we've had long stretches where we've been completely ineffective in the half-court because of a lack of off-ball movement and offensive versatility. When everyone's passing is on point, a free flowing offense can lead to those awesome sequences we sometimes have where the ball flies around and everyone gets touches and the opposing defense doesn't really know what to do: that's fun and it works. But there are other times where we just cannot make anything happen and within a framework within which guys can play, you end up with Lonzo taking pull-up midrange jumpers or Jahlil Okafor taking 15 foot push shots or Jrue having to just dribble into a wall and hope he can make something happen, and it's no good.

Even something as simple as having a few standard pick and roll sets with pre-planned off-ball motion would help a lot. There have been times in a few games where we've run a simple PnR action with Jrue or Ingram as the ball handler, and it's gotten us unstuck in bad situations, but despite having a good run there (either due to a mismatch, or - as in the Charlotte game - having an opposing guard who cannot defend the PnR) we just don't go back to it. Why? I hesitate to say it's because guys are trying to be unpredictable and run more free-flowing offense than the traditional PnR, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was at least an aspect of it.

Been largely disappointed with the lack of cutting so far, which would make sense if we're legitimately running a nearly zero-play offense. Cuts are something that, unless a player has great feel for, are planned/drawn up. Currently, cuts make up 5.8% of our offense, which is 18th in the NBA.

Right now, according to NBA.com, our offense is:

Cuts: 5.8%
    Transition: 17.9%
    Isolation: 6.2%
    PnR Ball-handler: 16.8% (21st in the NBA)
    PnR Roll-man: 4.2% (30th in the NBA)
    Post Ups: 3.1%
    Spot Ups: 23.9% (1st in NBA)
    Hand-offs: 4.9% (19th in NBA)
    Off Screens: 5.9%
    Putbacks: 4.5% (21st in NBA)
    Misc: 6.7

To me, that tells me that our offense isn't particularly unpredictable. If we don't get it in transition, we're either going to go for a spot up 3 or the ball-handler is going to try and score in the PnR. The roller doesn't really even get involved most of the time, we don't cut, we don't run dribble hand-off action, and we don't have the kind of shooters who run around screens.

There's a reason that despite the fact our pace is so high, allowing us to score a lot of points, our offensive efficiency is currently 14th in the NBA. It's about as average as it gets, because our offense is so simple, so predictable, and so plain that in the half-court, 49% of our offense comes either from spot up shooters or simple ballhandler creating for themselves. That's begging for the coach to mix things up a little.
    Spot freakin on

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Ok, I’m sure everyone has seen or heard about JJ Redick’s comments in regards to Alvin’s offense. He in good terms said the Pelicans have the option to do whatever they want on the court because they don’t want to be predictable. He mentioned drawing up plays as something they don’t really do either. So, what is everyone’s thoughts? In my opinion, it made things more clear, while making Gentry look worse. The Pels are basically playing the same offense we run at the gym for pickup games.
    So if it looks worse then its Gentry? Weren't people saying they'd like our offensive architect coach, Chris Finch, to take Gentry's spot the last couple of years? Finch has no responsibility for this offense?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    So if it looks worse then its Gentry? Weren't people saying they'd like our offensive architect coach, Chris Finch, to take Gentry's spot the last couple of years? Finch has no responsibility for this offense?
    That’s a good question. I have only heard that Finch works with bigs and their role well. I’m under the understanding that this is Alvin’s system.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Here's the weird thing.

When our tempo was slowed down in the Denver game, everything looked MUCH better. The half court offense, with Ingram attacking the rim and nailing midrangers.

It was the exact opposite of what Alvin wants to do, but with our personnel it actually works.

Why not keep doing what works?

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Here's the weird thing.

When our tempo was slowed down in the Denver game, everything looked MUCH better. The half court offense, with Ingram attacking the rim and nailing midrangers.

It was the exact opposite of what Alvin wants to do, but with our personnel it actually works.

Why not keep doing what works?
    Because Golden State proved a pace and space offense can win a championship.

(Just ignore the fact that it took two historically great shooters, a perennial defensive POY candidate and a deep bench to get it done.)

I thought this was a thread about Lance Thomas!

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    That’s a good question. I have only heard that Finch works with bigs and their role well. I’m under the understanding that this is Alvin’s system.
    No, Finch never has just worked with bigs. Pelicans have other developmental coaches for that.

Finch was brought here to design the entire offense.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    No, Finch never has just worked with bigs. Pelicans have other developmental coaches for that.

Finch was brought here to design the entire offense.
    Interesting question: if Finch manages the entire offense, and Bzdelik is here to manage the entire defense, then what's Gentry actually for?

It's intriguing to me that the team pays Alvin so much money, introduces him at the start of every game, gives him media time, etc, when every time anyone actually discusses the team and the actual product that hits the floor, everyone seems very eager to point out how much he has nothing to do with it.

Not specifically talking about you either luckyman. A lot of Pels writers do it to.

Apparently we can't blame Gentry for the offense, or the defense, or the rotations, or the minutes management, or really anything. Cushiest job in the NBA: get paid millions of dollars to, according to some, be in charge of nothing, be responsible for nothing, take no blame, orchestrate nothing, reap the rewards when things go well and receive total immunity from criticism when things go poorly.

Interesting question: if Finch manages the entire offense, and Bzdelik is here to manage the entire defense, then what's Gentry actually for?

It's intriguing to me that the team pays Alvin so much money, introduces him at the start of every game, gives him media time, etc, when every time anyone actually discusses the team and the actual product that hits the floor, everyone seems very eager to point out how much he has nothing to do with it.

Not specifically talking about you either luckyman. A lot of Pels writers do it to.

Apparently we can't blame Gentry for the offense, or the defense, or the rotations, or the minutes management, or really anything. Cushiest job in the NBA: get paid millions of dollars to, according to some, be in charge of nothing, be responsible for nothing, take no blame, orchestrate nothing, reap the rewards when things go well and receive total immunity from criticism when things go poorly.
    It’s definitely Gentry who does the pace crap. Finch didn’t run pace anywhere else. It’s not his style.

Nice

Gentry has a say in everything we do. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be the head coach. Also, Gentry is responsible for appointing his own coaching staff members, so whoever he brings in, he takes the blame for that too. The blame ultimately falls to Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Nice

Gentry has a say in everything we do. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be the head coach. Also, Gentry is responsible for appointing his own coaching staff members, so whoever he brings in, he takes the blame for that too. The blame ultimately falls to Gentry.
    The way I see it, the Head Coach of a team is like the director on a film.

No, it's true that the director doesn't personally set up every shot (that's the cinematographer) or build the sets (that's set design) or do the editing (unsurprisingly, the editor), or write the entire script (Screenwriters), etc etc etc, but the director gets to oversee all of those things, have final judgement, and ultimately get the most credit and the most money for the final product. Therefore if a movie looks terrible, yes, the cinematographer is to blame because they shot it badly, but the director is too because they signed off on it and approved those shots, and then they allowed the editor to include them.

Head Coach is the same. Maybe he doesn't personally draw up the set plays or oversee the Xs and Os of standard halfcourt play calling, but he does oversee it, and he does sign off on it, so it's still ultimately his decision even if his only input is approving what others have done.

Thread Information