Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should the Pelicans trade Jrue?

Pelicans Should the Pelicans trade Jrue?

I think we could all agree that Jrue has been a massive disappointment so far this season.

If Jrue was playing remotely close to the way he was lost season, what would our record be? He can’t hit the 3 for the life of him. His defense doesn’t look the same. He’s been a turnover machine in the offensive court. He’s missing FT. Worst of all, his body language looks like he does not want to be here in some of the games.

Hopefully he can string some good games together later in the season and we can get some good value for him.

If we can get a young player and a pick, do you trade Jrue? Does it make sense to trade Jrue for more building blocks or do we keep him for his veteran “leadership”.

Thoughts?

It's too late.

His best opportunity to trade was over the Summer when people had no idea how Jrue will operate as a 1st option. We won't get a lot of value compared to keeping him.

It’s a little late now. If we were going to move him, summer was the time. The Pels were pursuing Beal pretty hard and Jrue was on the block if the reports are to be believed.

The problem with Jrue is the same problem with Alvin and AD. It just isn’t working. We were for the most part perennial losers. That is fine for a young squad, but I think Jrue could really use a fresh start more than anyone. Sometimes a losing mentality just develops and you don’t want it to spread.

I think he is burnt out. He’ll probably come good at some point, but I can’t help feeling that Anthony leaving took a toll on him mentally. Not sure the value is there for a trade.

Not interested in trading him, and even if I was, now wouldn't be the time. His value is down as of this moment, and while other teams might be willing to make the trade (knowing that it's likely he'll bounce back) they'll also know not to pay through the nose for it, and since Jrue has a fairly large salary, it would require us taking on bad-assets to move him. Which is obviously not what we want to do.

I am a little concerned that it's taking Jrue a little longer than usual to get over his early season slump, but I'm still not dramatically worried. Does it suck? Yes. Of course it does. But I said before the season started that I was willing to give it until Christmas before I made dramatic judgements on any of the new Lakers guys, and I feel like it's only fair that we give Jrue that same benefit of the doubt.
    Basketball.

It's not late. GMs understand the human side of professional basketball players. They don't look at them like bball androids. Any GM that's interested will talk to our front office and will talk to Jrue himself possibly. Just to see if maybe all he needs is a change of scenery or a different system.

No gm worth anything would simply only project his play here in 10 games and brand him not worth much. They'd offer as little as possible regardless. And this team is under no pressure whatsoever to offload him urgently, so no leverage there either.

But it is painfully obvious why this team needs Lonzo to play. Point guard is just not a friendly spot for Jrue Holiday. Gentry really needs to avoid putting him there as often as possible.
    Last edited by luckyman; 11-13-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    It's not late. GMs understand the human side of professional basketball players. They don't look at them like bball androids. Any GM that's interested will talk to our front office and will talk to Jrue himself possibly. Just to see if maybe all he needs is a change of scenery or a different system.
    The fact that this is completely true doesn't change the fact that any GM worth their salt would try to use this poor play as leverage to drive down the price on Jrue. How much that leverage would impact the final deal is obviously debatable, and Griff would almost certainly recognise the tactic, but the fact that it exists does put a tool in the hands of the opposing GMs.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I was one of the few that wanted to move him before the season then later when we decided to roll with him I already was looking to move him before the deadline (I was maybe right for once, usually I'm not). If we can get something decent for him now, yeah, let's trade him. Otherwise let's find a way too get his value up by doing whatever it takes for him to put up better numbers and efficiency. That's up to the coaches to figure that out. Then when his value is decent again, yes, still trade him!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Actively shop him? No. If someone comes calling with a reasonable offer? We need to listen.

Basketball Guru
    jrue needs a PG to run the ship so he can go back to being co pilot...…..next month trade lonzo to the knicks and bring payton back home so jrue can be comfortable being off guard and get back to playing good ball....

forcing jrue to make the offensive decisions on a young loosing team will create an AD situation to where jrue will ask to be traded behind the scenes that's if he has not already ask for one...I wouldn't blame him but something is going on with him if its not being the decision maker.......

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Actively shop him? No. If someone comes calling with a reasonable offer? We need to listen.
    Send him to Lakers for KUZMA and what draft picks they have left.

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    They have no draft picks that are eligible to trade until like, 2025, and you aren't even allowed to trade picks as far out as 2026 yet, I think. So ''what draft picks they have left'' is second rounders. Nope.

Also, Kuzma wouldn't be enough because of salary differences (also, Kuzma isn't that good, but that's a different debate entirely) so the Lakers would have to package a bunch of guys together and we wouldn't have the space to take them in so....? Just not functionally possible.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    I could not care less about Kyle Kuzma.

My thoughts are that he has never really been consistent at shooting the 3 and has had problems with turnovers particularly in clutch time. I think that one of the great things about him is that he can play the 1-3 but that is a just a luxury at this point. He isn’t making everyone else around him better right now and if he can’t score then he at least needs to do that.

With that said, i hope he improves and we trade him at the deadline. Right now, not sure what value he has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I could not care less about Kyle Kuzma.
    Kuzma is currently not a top 5 player on the LA Lakers, one of the most prominently shallow teams in the NBA. Why he should be the return on a trade for Jrue, a guy who (despite his offensive struggles) is still a top shelf defender and talented playmaker, is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The fact that this is completely true doesn't change the fact that any GM worth their salt would try to use this poor play as leverage to drive down the price on Jrue. How much that leverage would impact the final deal is obviously debatable, and Griff would almost certainly recognise the tactic, but the fact that it exists does put a tool in the hands of the opposing GMs.
    It doesn't. As I stated that only works if opposing GMs know this team is desperate to get rid of Jrue plus the opposite has something this team wants.

This team isn't under any pressure whatsoever to trade him no matter how poorly he plays. So opposing GMs can low ball all they want. Won't be effective.

However again, that team might feel like they can get better play out of Jrue, which actually puts that team at a disadvantage as far as negotiating.

His return...even if he was playing well, wouldn’t return us anyone significantly better right now imo...because if he was playing better, we would be sitting pretty good.

Looking at the field and the market, his highest bidders would be playoff teams looking to add a veteran cusp-allstar playrr for the later rounds championship push. A positive 3rd option on a contending team.

To trade him, we’d have to roll the dice on a young unestablished player who has yet to reach his potential. Truthfully, we just traded for that guy (Ingram) and scored.

Who else is really out there that you would be comfortable with rolling the dice on and taking back a bad contract? That’s the key questions.

No.

The team has too much youth and assets. The move will come towards the trade deadline when a team that has an all-star but is underperforming decides to blow it up for more assets. We will then trade some of our youth and assets to them for the all-star who will be paired with Zion, BI, and Jrue. We will still have an overabundance of youth and assets plus a great starting rotation and depth.

Remember that continuity is one of the most important aspects in the NBA. We have none. Experience is king. We need more of that. Jrue is also having to play a bit out of position. The goal was not to win this yest. Relax. Do tai chi. Breath easy. This is all to set the team up for next year. And the promise is evident. We will be fine.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

i wouldn't mind trading him for myles turner...a young big that can defend and stretch the floor

If GS wants to do a quick retool . You could offer Jrue for GS lottery pick.

I want anyone who is suggesting a Jrue trade to also post the salaries and player-return they think would make it work.

I don't want to trade Jrue, but if you're going to be pushing for it, at least put your money where your mouth is and actually suggest a trade that would legally meet NBA trade rules and be a trade that could be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I want anyone who is suggesting a Jrue trade to also post the salaries and player-return they think would make it work.

I don't want to trade Jrue, but if you're going to be pushing for it, at least put your money where your mouth is and actually suggest a trade that would legally meet NBA trade rules and be a trade that could be made.
    Getting 3 or even 4 teams involved and it can be pretty simple. Can you imagine if the Lakers get their hands on Beal with help?

Quote Originally Posted by Wowowowow View Post
    His return...even if he was playing well, wouldn’t return us anyone significantly better right now imo...because if he was playing better, we would be sitting pretty good.

Looking at the field and the market, his highest bidders would be playoff teams looking to add a veteran cusp-allstar playrr for the later rounds championship push. A positive 3rd option on a contending team.

To trade him, we’d have to roll the dice on a young unestablished player who has yet to reach his potential. Truthfully, we just traded for that guy (Ingram) and scored.

Who else is really out there that you would be comfortable with rolling the dice on and taking back a bad contract? That’s the key questions.
    I couldn't understand why we didn't trade him when we knew we were trading Davis. This is the NBA winning is a process. You get as many young high upside players as you can and hope for the best. If a team is willing to surrender a player like that you take it and move on. Better for Jrue and better for the team.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 11-16-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Couldn’t agree more.

Because we didn't pull the trigger on Jrue in the offseason the next opportunity will be Dec. 15th when newly signed players can be traded.

On a side note the idea that Griffin and company thought we could trade away the franchise player for young players with potential and picks, then pick up a few C level FA, and we could still compete with Holiday as "the guy" is seriously concerning. Yes I realize Zion not being here has an impact, but he's still a rookie and ever rookie has their on individual learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I couldn't understand why we didn't trade him when we knew we where trading Davis. This is the NBA winning is a process. You get as many young high upside players as you can and hope for the best. If a team is willing to surrender a player like that you take it and move on. Better for Jrue and better for the team.
    I agree. I said something like this last season and I got killed for it.

Thread Information