Pelicans Report

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1341

Thread: NBA DRAFT 2020 DISCUSSION

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    As flat as talent supposedly is in this draft and how unpredictable it appears to be, someone will drop that we did not expect. Maybe a Hayes or Vassell drop and Pels can jump on. At 24, maybe someone like Anthony or Hampton fall down the boards or an older player like Bane is available.
    There's usually someone who falls, the question is just who? For example, I'm really not very high on Deni Avdija but most places have him projected between 5 and 10. If he 'falls' to 13 and we take him, that would technically be a consensus top 10 pick falling to us, but I would not value it very highly; I'd rather have Maxey, for example.

24 is a solid spot to be I think because if you've done your scouting homework you know that there are a bunch of guys in that area who aren't ever going to be stars but who are likely to be good NBA players: if you're not trading the pick then at 24 that's what you should be looking for. The likely stars and the guys with nuclear upside are almost always gone by then, and if you're taking swings at players outside of the top 20 then odds are that you're just grabbing fringe NBA players and hoping they can suddenly figure out a million things, which is unlikely. Someone like Bane or Flynn or Tillman should be available around there and then you grab them and you take it as good value, rather than trying to outsmart yourself.

Still think our pick at #39 should be Sam Merrill unless someone like Flynn falls dramatically.
    Basketball.

Don't see Avdija falling that far. With the news of Okongku's injury, I am hoping he falls to 13.

The "faller" will be Hayes, Vassell, and/or Okoro

The candidates to go above us that most have at us or after us are Kira, Bey, Hampton, Nesmith, Maxey or McDaniels
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The "faller" will be Hayes, Vassell, and/or Okoro

The candidates to go above us that most have at us or after us are Kira, Bey, Hampton, Nesmith, Maxey or McDaniels
    I would strangle a man for Hayes or Vassell.

Probably not, but hey.

McDaniels would be a dreadful pick, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Here is a interesting/fun watch to pass the time. It's a cut up Jalen Smith vs Xavier Tillman. Smith, despite being outweighed, really held his own on the low block.

I really don't care much about his "base" at age 20. And won't be 21 until next March. Just seems like one of those wiry guys that's naturally strong.

He played most of his college time "out of position". I get Dae's value comment, though. You want to get max value. The only problem with that is that this is the most insane draft as far as consistent big boards are concerned. Anyone could go anywhere. And I think NBA teams value stretch bigs more than draft analysts. From history, SVG values stretch bigs more than most teams.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

If you guys were trying to be totally unbiased from their NBA rookie seasons and only looking at them predraft, where would you rank NAW and Hayes in the 2020 draft?

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    If you guys were trying to be totally unbiased from their NBA rookie seasons and only looking at them predraft, where would you rank NAW and Hayes in the 2020 draft?
    Really hard to say.

I am just the messenger of this, bringing more information to people's eyes. Do not think for a second that I endorse this big board. I absolutely do not.

Didn't take into account fit, or medicals, or - apparently - basketball ability.

Something to keep in mind for the draft tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetzplaya View Post

Something to keep in mind for the draft tonight.
    Unless it is a long term reoccurring problem, you take him in a heartbeat at that 6th-7th spot.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Unless it is a long term reoccurring problem, you take him in a heartbeat at that 6th-7th spot.
    Agreed. If I'm the Warriors and the medicals tell me that it's not going to be a recurring issue, I take him at #2 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Agreed. If I'm the Warriors and the medicals tell me that it's not going to be a recurring issue, I take him at #2 anyway.
    Yeah. I just wonder if the Warriors are that patient. I don’t predict him to fall, but he very well could if the Warriors don’t grab him.

He played most of his college time "out of position". I get Dae's value comment, though. You want to get max value. The only problem with that is that this is the most insane draft as far as consistent big boards are concerned. Anyone could go anywhere. And I think NBA teams value stretch bigs more than draft analysts. From history, SVG values stretch bigs more than most teams.
    Well yes...if you are basing your value on internet mocks, then I guess it would be low value to take him at 13.

Unless you have access to every NBA team's big board, it's an erroneous basis to begin with. There is no real authority that says taking him at 13 is low value other than personal opinion.

My own opinion is he would be wonderful there outside of Kira.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Yeah. I just wonder if the Warriors are that patient. I don’t predict him to fall, but he very well could if the Warriors don’t grab him.
    Well, I have it on good authority that the Warriors are just lightyears ahead of the rest of the league, so I expect them to make the very best possible move that any team could ever make, whatever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Well yes...if you are basing your value on internet mocks, then I guess it would be low value to take him at 13.

Unless you have access to every NBA team's big board, it's an erroneous basis to begin with. There is no real authority that says taking him at 13 is low value other than personal opinion.

My own opinion is he would be wonderful there outside of Kira.
    Yeah it's all just opinion, I would hope nobody on this board has deluded themselves into thinking otherwise. Disagreements exist but unless anyone on here is clairvoyant and can see what careers will look like ten years from now, everyone understands it's just opinion.

Well, I have it on good authority that the Warriors are just lightyears ahead of the rest of the league, so I expect them to make the very best possible move that any team could ever make, whatever that is.
    Stranger things have happened. But I agree

It's a fractured toe. He'll be fine, shouldn't make anyone think twice about drafting him.

About the same as last year (NAW maybe in the high 20's)

For both in terms of development...it was a wasted year. If the G league cranks up this year, I hope we use it for incoming rookies needing further development. No matter how you slice it, most draftees are teenage, college (or foreign) "one and done'ers" and are sorely unprepared for basketball played at the highest level on the planet. It's water under the bridge, but both JAX and NAW should have enjoyed significantly playing time in Erie last year. They would be further along today with proper development. (If it worked for Christian Wood.......)

It's a fractured toe. He'll be fine, shouldn't make anyone think twice about drafting him.
    Not out too long either. He should be a great pickup for the Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I wonder what the concern is with the medicals. Does slow to heal mean it's still not actually healed 10 months later? That would be very very worrying. I don't like the guy as a draft prospect but I wouldn't wish serious concern like that on him.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar

Teams that are not named the Pelicans should pass on him just in case. You never know

I wonder what the concern is with the medicals. Does slow to heal mean it's still not actually healed 10 months later? That would be very very worrying. I don't like the guy as a draft prospect but I wouldn't wish serious concern like that on him.
    If it’s the same problem Jrue had where it took him 2 years to fully heal (he played on that foot to be fair so that may have had something to do with the duration), he could fall dramatically.

Steer well clear of Nesmith pls

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Steer well clear of Nesmith pls
    Very true. If you're the Pelicans. Anyone else can have him, he's way better than Bane, better leave Bane for someone else to get, you'd probably be just fine with Nesmith, Other Team.

Thread Information