Pelicans Report

Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 1341

Thread: NBA DRAFT 2020 DISCUSSION

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Completely agree. I'd maybe take him at, say, 25-35 range because there is a use to very good shooters and most of the other good players will be gone by then, but at 13 there are so many better options.

If all you care about is shooting just add Bane. He's every put the motion/catch shooter Nesmith is, except he can also shoot off the dribble, and pass, and defend a bit, and attack closeouts, and it looks like he actually knows what basketball is.
    The only case you could make for him to go that high, is that if it's a good too great team that has a pick that high from a previous trade. If the lakers were picking 13 I get it, and see the value. However, even in that context Bane is better. It would only make sense even in that limited context if Bane is off the board.

Bane looks like Tyrannosaurus Rex running around with those lil' short-arse arms. He might as well be six-two. ya dont rebound with your head

Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Can someone give me their take on three players:

Nico Mannion
    Skylar Mays
    Payton Pritchard

Are they second rounders or will any of them likely go undrafted (I've seen Mannion all over the draft board). I still want us to develop a backup point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

Nico Mannion
    Skylar Mays
    Payton Pritchard

Are they second rounders or will any of them likely go undrafted (I've seen Mannion all over the draft board). I still want us to develop a backup point guard.
    Should check out this cat Yam Madar. Pretty good chance he's going UDFA. One of few guards from overseas that looks like they were tutored by Zeke himself. Not used to seeing that style of play over there. I'm impressed.

Big lol at Antman doing an interview and saying he doesn't watch film because he doesn't like watching basketball. Literally says he ''can't'' watch basketball and that if he was drafted by the NFL tomorrow he'd drop basketball immediately.

Not exactly what you wanna hear less than 2 days out from the draft.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 11-18-2020 at 02:01 AM.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Bane looks like Tyrannosaurus Rex running around with those lil' short-arse arms. He might as well be six-two. ya dont rebound with your head
    It's true that you don't rebound with your head. It's just unfortunate for Nesmith that you don't play defense, pass, dribble, or finish at the rim with your internet hype either: sadly you have to do all those things in real life, and he just can't.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post

Nico Mannion
    Skylar Mays
    Payton Pritchard

Nico Mannion: I was quite high on him early on in the year but the more he played the more clear it was that he isn't an NBA level primary initiator. That said, he's still a really good passer and good shooting prospect, who moves very well off ball and has good mid-range touch. Small, but has decent core strength and plays hard, so the defense will never be great but I think he can probably be okay at the NBA level. Really good ''third guard'' potential, but probably not too much more than that: depending on the team I'd pick him anywhere from the early 20s to around #40.

Skylar Mays: Has really good feel and a well developed array of classic dribble moves that help him get around the fact that he's got almost no burst at all. Shifty player, decent passer (Especially as an off-ball connector) and has really nice defensive instincts. Shoots well enough, even if he's not an incredible shooting prospect at the next level (shot 39% from 3 on 4 attempts per game this year and is a career 85% FT shooter, but has never shot better than 35% from 3 in the three years before this one, and the shot variety has never been too diverse). Probably a good second round pickup for a team in need of a competent do-it-all guard.

Payton Pritchard: A solid college guard who I think will probably have some difficulty adjusting to the NBA athletically (he's a 4 year guy so the body is a bit more developed and we can judge better) but who projects as a solid shooter and decision maker. He's small, which is something of an issue as well, particular for defense where he was fine in college but not particularly great: small guards who were only 'fine' in college on defense are usually a bit worrying at the NBA level especially when they're already older. I might take a flier on him in the late 2nd, but I'd be reluctant to take him much higher than that because I don't think he's likely to be good enough at anything in particular to stick in the NBA for a long time.

I would rank them pretty much in the order listed, but none of them are super high level prospects or anything. Hopefully that helps!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Curious? Who do you all want the pelicans to draft? Favorite players for the pelicans in this draft.... here?s my order:

1. Okongwu
    2. Halliburton
    3. Patrick Williams
    4. Kira
    5. Bey
    6. Besmirch
    7. Maxey

Okongwu is a guy who could be the next Bam. His shotblocking and overall defense could be a game changer if he?s developed by the coaching staff. His rebounding is impressive and his passing is above average. For the right price I would resign favors and let Hayes and Okongwu battle for future starting C. I think Okongwu will probably a big problem as he gets more coaching.

Halliburton has a 7 foot wingspan and is 6?5? and he?s a solid 4 point shooter and high IQ point guard who has potential to be a star imo. I don?t like that he looks quite similar to Lonzo but if he turns out to be an equal or better guard than Lonzo it gives us a chance to move Lonzo in a package to get someone really good. Halliburton is too skinny and I don?t know how well he can finish at the rim. Killian Hayes may be better at offense overall. But it?s hard to pass on a guy that doesn?t make many mistakes and has a lot of the traits needed to succeed in the league.

Williams is clearly capable of being an elite defender. He could possibly turn into a very good 3 and D with very versatile defense. He?s not as NBA ready as some other players I like but he could really give us something extremely valuable. Defense. Guarding 1-4.

Kira Lewis is quite similar to Da?Aaron Fox. He speed and shooting alone makes him a spark off the bench at least and maybe an eventual starter. He?s potentially a special player depending on his development.

Bey is one of my favorite guys. He?s a very reliable shooter from downtown and he?s a very good defender. A blue collar type guy with toughness and attention to detail. Definitely could use this guy. His shooting and defense is already really good. If he adjusts well to the NBA he could be a great player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Curious? Who do you all want the pelicans to draft? Favorite players for the pelicans in this draft.... here?s my order:

1. Okongwu
    2. Halliburton
    3. Patrick Williams
    4. Kira
    5. Bey
    6. Besmirch
    7. Maxey
    I'm guessing you mean Nesmith where you say Besmirch? Autocorrect can be a monster sometimes. I'm actually not very high on Haliburton, Bey, or Nesmith for various reasons. Haliburton is very smart and makes good decisions but I don't think his poor finishing or his lack of handle/strength/burst will allow him to be an NBA primary: I'd like to see him go to a good team where he can play a more connecting role. Bey is a guy I think is built for college but will suffer at the NBA level: he's a strong shooting prospect but I don't think he's mobile enough for the perimeter defense to work in the NBA and he has zero on-ball creation ability. Nesmith is a really great shooter off the catch but that is literally all he can do. Bad defender on and off ball, can't create off the dribble, can't finish at the rim, isn't a good passer, low feel, etc. He's more of a late 20s guys to me than a lottery.

My favourite prospect for us would be Killian Hayes, but I'm pretty damn certain he'll be gone by 13, so we'd have to move up. Same for Okongwu, who I like but I'm certain is going top 8. Outside of guys like that, who I'm sure will be gone by 13, here are some names I like for us:

1) Kira Lewis - He'll probably be gone at #13 but if he drops somehow I'd love to take him. I believe in the defensive upside, and his shot is good. Not a fan of his finishing, but he isn't afraid of driving, using his speed to create advantages. Apparently the Suns really love him but given that they just pulled off the CP3 deal they might not be that interested in adding Kira right now - maybe he'll fall?
    2) Tyrese Maxey - Really physically strong, really good finisher at the rim, very high level defensive prospect as a guard. Better shooter than he got to show at Kentucky. There's a lot of dog in him.
    3) Patrick Williams - He has a long way to go in terms of offensive development but he's one of the youngest guys in this class so that's okay. Special defensive instincts, and shot very well from the midrange which projects well for his 3pt shot over time. 3+rim protection upside, which is valuable.
    4) Aleksej Pokusevski - Kind of a developmental prospect. He's got to put on 25lbs, really, at least. But he's a legitimate 7 footer who has upside as a movement shooter, who can handle the ball in transition, makes some legitimately insane passes that would be shockingly clever for guys five inches shorter than he is, and has shown high level defensive instincts. Needs to add weight, because he's very weak which hurts his defense and means he has trouble finishing, but the flashes are amazing.

Then guys I like around #24 if we keep that pick:
    1) Desmond Bane - Best shooter in the class. Efficient on high volume over several years. Shoots off motion, off the catch, and off the dribble with pullups. He has a negative wingspan which makes a lot of people freak out, but negative wingspans don't doom a player to being bad: Yao Ming had a negative wingspan, and so does Redick. Bane will never be an elite defender, but he's a very smart team defender which is valuable, and he's a skilled secondary passer.
    2) Xavier Tillman - Best defensive big in the class, no doubt. A bit undersized, which limits him in some ways, and he's not a crazy athlete, but he's outlier strong and is incredibly smart. I posted an interview with him just the other day, look back for it in this thread if you want a good read. He's a guy I could see giving positive minutes on a playoff team year 1.
    3) Malachi Flynn - When you think of guys who will just work, Flynn is one of them. A little small (not tiny but still), he's the most NBA ready pick and roll guard in this draft in my view. He's legitimately just amazing at it: other guys will be better in time, like Killian Hayes, but day 1 Flynn is the best. He's not really bad at anything, but he's not fantastic at anything else either, which is why he's in the 20s for me.
    4) Grant Riller - Defensive worries are real because he played in a bad conference and barely played defense there and he's small. I get that. But Riller is the best finisher in the class regardless of position. He can finish any shot, over anyone. His layup package is ridiculous and creative, and he has fantastic touch. He can shoot off the dribble from anywhere, and he was a career 39% catch and shoot guy as well. Not a special passer, but good enough. The offensive package is special, imo.

Second round guys (I think we still have #39) that I would be happy to grab include Killian Tillie, Sam Merrill, Cassius Winston, Naji Marshall, just for some examples.

Without expounding to much, my list for #13 if they stay put:

1. Kira Lewis
    2. Jalen Smith
    3. Saddiq Bey
    4. Tyrese Maxey

At #24:
    1. Tyrell Terry
    2. Theo Maledon
    3. Tyler Bey
    4. Xavier Tillman

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Like, what on earth is Klutch thinking letting Edwards say that in an interview and then letting it get out? I mean, I’m sure a lot of people are playing sports they don’t love because they’re good at it, but their ceiling will always be limited. And they sure can’t be a franchise player unless they’re 1B to an equally talented player who does the work. After a certain point why bother if you can be just good enough to get that 2nd contract oh well.

My final Big Board, if I am the Pels:

1. Haliburton
    2. P Williams
    3. Okongwu
    4. Avdija
    5. K. Hayes
    6. Edwards
    ------------ gap
    7. Vassell
    8. Maxey
    9. Kira
    10. Okoro
    11. Wiseman
    12. Poku
    13. Nesmith
    ------------ small gap
    14. Toppin
    15. Hampton
    16. Terry
    17. Green
    18. Precious
    19. Bane
    20. P Reed
    21. C Anthony
    22. S. Bey
    23. Bolmoro
    24. J. Smith
    25. Tillman
    26. Flynn
    27. LaMelo
    28. McDaniels
    29. Woodard
    30. T. Bey
    @mcnamara247

I'm feeling like something unorthodox is going to go down.....like we'll draft Poku. It's just a weird draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    It's true that you don't rebound with your head. It's just unfortunate for Nesmith that you don't play defense, pass, dribble, or finish at the rim with your internet hype either: sadly you have to do all those things in real life, and he just can't.
    lol...word!

The Pelicans will draft Jalen Smith if they pick at 13 IMO. Unless a consensus top 10 pick slides

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Whomever we draft, in three days I'll have overly optimistic hopes for him because I'll have watched every scouting report and highlight reel and game clip.

But never interviews because I'm afraid to learn they'll talk like braindead jocks after I've already bought in. *cough* Jaxon Hayes *cough*

Haha. I haven't seen that. I'm going to try to miss all of his interviews from now on. I don't want that glass broken.

Honestly, as long as we don't trade future 1sts, I'm good. From listening to everyone, it sounds like if we come away with anything productive from this draft, we did ok. We already have a good group of young players to develop so make your shot but keep all of the great assets for better drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    The Pelicans will draft Jalen Smith if they pick at 13 IMO. Unless a consensus top 10 pick slides
    Would be a really poor value play imo. Just looking at what Griff has done so far, he tends to try and max out value: most places don't have Smith going in the lottery, so if Griff desperately wanted Smith I feel like he'd do something to move down and gain value elsewhere.

Could be wrong, obviously, and the deal would have to exist out there and maybe it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Like, what on earth is Klutch thinking letting Edwards say that in an interview and then letting it get out? I mean, I’m sure a lot of people are playing sports they don’t love because they’re good at it, but their ceiling will always be limited. And they sure can’t be a franchise player unless they’re 1B to an equally talented player who does the work. After a certain point why bother if you can be just good enough to get that 2nd contract oh well.
    It's fantastic how much the depth in this draft - Tillman, Haliburton, Bane, Tillie, etc - have all impressed in interview, and how excruciatingly bad every public statement that consensus top 2 guys like LaMelo and Antman have been in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Whomever we draft, in three days I'll have overly optimistic hopes for him because I'll have watched every scouting report and highlight reel and game clip.

But never interviews because I'm afraid to learn they'll talk like braindead jocks after I've already bought in. *cough* Jaxon Hayes *cough*
    I love when a fan can be honest. Bias happens...lean into it

If we get Williams or Vassel I’ll be very excited.

As flat as talent supposedly is in this draft and how unpredictable it appears to be, someone will drop that we did not expect. Maybe a Hayes or Vassell drop and Pels can jump on. At 24, maybe someone like Anthony or Hampton fall down the boards or an older player like Bane is available.

If Williams or Vassel fall past 8 I feel we will trade up.

Here is a interesting/fun watch to pass the time. It's a cut up Jalen Smith vs Xavier Tillman. Smith, despite being outweighed, really held his own on the low block.

I really don't care much about his "base" at age 20. And won't be 21 until next March. Just seems like one of those wiry guys that's naturally strong.

Thread Information