Pelicans Report

Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1341

Thread: NBA DRAFT 2020 DISCUSSION

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I think we have to start looking into the 2021 draft. Its the huge chip Golden State can throw us. I have 7 guys right now who I'd probably take ahead if anyone in the 2020 draft. Imagine the Warriors offering us the first AND second pick in this draft --- thats kind of the value I think we are getting if that Minny pick lands around 5 or 6 next year
    I've been occasionally posting about the 2021 draft in this thread since like, May or something way ahead of you.

I think I'd go even further than 7. I think I could make a plausible argument for about 11 players in next years draft at least having a solid swing at #1 this year. Which is a testament both to how strong next year's class is, and how dreadful the 2020 one is.
    Basketball.

Oh no.

Someone's gonna take Jordan Nwora in the first round.

That's gonna be a mistake.

Note that clutch Tillman potential tho >.>

Pelican Debrief has me really liking Reggie Perry in the 2nd.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

I know some might not like it, but I wouldn't mind taking a swing at Aleksej Pokusevski at 13

What would it take to get both Myles Turner and Oladipo

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    What would it take to get both Myles Turner and Oladipo
    Jrue, Miller and 2 2nds could work

Quote Originally Posted by rebelman View Post
    I know some might not like it, but I wouldn't mind taking a swing at Aleksej Pokusevski at 13
    Yeeeeeeeah. If he reaches his potential, he fits the SVG system like a glove. He could be the 1 in or one of the 4 out....he could either be the ball handler or the screener on the pick n roll. Can be our rim protector on D and rebounds well. He really matches up next to Zion excellent because Zion could hide his weaknesses.

If this were another draft, it may be good to look elsewhere but with the other options not being amazing, he may be worth the risk. And we have the time to let him develop.

Quote Originally Posted by superstar7th View Post
    Jrue, Miller and 2 2nds could work
    That’s it? Sign me up

I think people aren't understanding JVG as a coach. He doesn't really have one style. What he used in Orlando wasn't used in Detroit or Miami. Most likely won't be used here.

That is the hallmark of a good coach. Pops has had runs in San Antonio where they are fast paced and score 115 point per game. Then he's had runs where they are slow as snails and barely score 95. He's won both ways.

SVG has already said he likes the pace Gentry had the team at, and don't be surprised if they keep that pace next year.

Also don't be surprised in Griff starts putting his paw prints on the type of team he'd like to see as well.

SVG has liked pace. So it's not like it's something he normally doesn't do but he'll keep it because Gentry had the team built for it. And history shows that he does adapt to a team when he firsts gets there but that he does quickly begin to get the FO to shape the team into something that runs his 1 in 4 out offense. Like in Detroit, he didn't have the perimeter shooter at first so he PnRed like no tomorrow. Then he traded for Ilyasova and got more shooters so that he could better implement his system. Yes, he does add elements to it and adapts it.....but he definitely prefers to have one big with playmaking skills chilling inside and a bunch of people who can cut and shoot around him.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 11-05-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    SVG has liked pace. So it's not like it's something he normally doesn't do but he'll keep it because Gentry had the team built for it. And history shows that he does adapt to a team when he firsts gets there but that he does quickly begin to get the FO to shape the team into something that runs his 1 in 4 out offense. Like in Detroit, he didn't have the perimeter shooter at first so he PnRed like no tomorrow. Then he traded for Ilyasova and got more shooters so that he could better implement his system. Yes, he does add elements to it and adapts it.....but he definitely prefers to have one big with playmaking skills chilling inside and a bunch of people who can cut and shoot around him.
    He said he likes pace. However, I do not think his teams have ever been in the top 10 in pace.

The difference between being 3rd in pace and say 11th is like 1 extra shot per half

Pace isn't about run and gun. Its about how quickly you get into your set in the half court and THATS whats important IMO.

I'd love to be a team that starts running my set with 19 on the shot clock and if I dont get a good shot from my first play, I still got time to run other actions. That team will be better offensively than the one who doesn't start until 15 secs on the clock

That is what matters
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    The difference between being 3rd in pace and say 11th is like 1 extra shot per half

Pace isn't about run and gun. Its about how quickly you get into your set in the half court and THATS whats important IMO.

I'd love to be a team that starts running my set with 19 on the shot clock and if I dont get a good shot from my first play, I still got time to run other actions. That team will be better offensively than the one who doesn't start until 15 secs on the clock

That is what matters
    Under Gentry I think our focus on pace was a bit chaotic at times and caused rebounding and defensive issues. I do not expect that with SVG.

Yeah. I'm mostly regurgitating the articles I've been reading and taking their word for it. Not sure how accurate they are.

Interesting side note, on this date 10 years ago, your New Orleans Hornets just vanquished the hot Wade, LeBron, and Bosh Heat to go to 5-0.

Draft in 12 days! Lol
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 11-06-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Jordan Nwora would be an ideal pick in the 2nd round if available. I havnt been able to figure out why he he isnt rated higher on draft boards. Most write-ups Ive seen on him call out his athleticism.......

just watch the 40 seconds of this video and judge his athleticism for yourself

https://youtu.be/I8uXcvQaEG4

Quote Originally Posted by fullcourtpress View Post
    Jordan Nwora would be an ideal pick in the 2nd round if available. I havnt been able to figure out why he he isnt rated higher on draft boards. Most write-ups Ive seen on him call out his athleticism.......

just watch the 40 seconds of this video and judge his athleticism for yourself

https://youtu.be/I8uXcvQaEG4
    It might be because there are other things in basketball than 40 second highlight clips.

I'll give you a breakdown from my perspective of his overall game, of why I wouldn't take him top 40.

Pros:
    - Good C&S shooter with NBA range.
    - Fairly strong, although not outlier strong, and seems to know how to use the strength reasonably well.
    - Handle is adequate for his position.
    - Reasonably solid team defender, with decent footwork. Closes out well on the perimeter, tends to know where to be, stunts and digs consistently.
    - Defends the post pretty well, using his strength to ground himself and prevents himself from being bowled over.
    - Is able to execute basic passes within an offense.

Cons:
    - Mediocre lateral quickness.
    - Lack of vertical pop: he's got a decent max vert, it seems, but he's a slow-load jumper most of the time.
    - Pretty sub-par finisher around the rim over several years in college, struggles mightily in traffic (52% at the rim last year, 44% this year in the halfcourt)
    - Very little burst
    - Isn't a great relocater after giving the ball up which is a shame because that's huge for maximising shooting
    - Pretty much no ability to create his own shot off the dribble. Not very efficient in his motions, and isn't decisive with movements. Dribbles slowly, and doesn't handle pressure very well (TOV% almost doubles his AST% all three years of college)
    - Very little passing upside. Almost all of his passing is done from pre-determined situations: he doesn't read defenses actively, and his vision is poor. This is a problem someone like Jalen Smith also has, but at least Smith has more of a handle to make more out of non-passing situations.
    - Not a rim protector at all. Slow leap-building hinders it, and he doesn't really cover ground extremely well either, which makes his ability to come out of the paint and then recover pretty problematic.
    - Defense isn't very switchable. His feet aren't particularly fast and whenever he's put in a situation that requires hip-switching his footwork is really bad, he's prone to getting them tangled. There would be a lot of work needed just to fix that issue, and that doesn't even address the speed and fluidity issues, or the lateral quickness problems.

So you see, while there's definitely some upside for him, there's a lot to find issues with as well. If he gets picked in the mid-to-late 2nd round that's probably fine, but he's not a first rounder.

All I say again is they better not be afraid to trade down. And having this many 2nd round picks is a good thing.

The NBA draft routinely has All-Star level to very solid starters picked throughout the draft. And too many absolute duds in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    All I say again is they better not be afraid to trade down. And having this many 2nd round picks is a good thing.

The NBA draft routinely has All-Star level to very solid starters picked throughout the draft. And too many absolute duds in the top 10.
    Why would they want to trade down? Certainly not to accumulate more picks in this draft. Maybe if it brought a future 1st I could see it.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Why would they want to trade down? Certainly not to accumulate more picks in this draft. Maybe if it brought a future 1st I could see it.
    Sure. I'd trade #13 and all three seconds for the Cavs' unprotected first rounder in 2021.

They will most likely try to trade up or stay put. Can?t see them trading down. It?s more likely that they sell a couple of those 2nd round pick for cash.

I'm curious as to whom David Griffin would be interested in moving up for

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Doesn't have to be for picks in this draft. There are multiple options: Part of a trade package; picks in future years; picks this year and a future year.

Main point is if there is poor value for whoever is on the board at 13, then move. Dont force anything at that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Zion View Post
    Sure. I'd trade #13 and all three seconds for the Cavs' unprotected first rounder in 2021.
    Big same lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Oh no.

Someone's gonna take Jordan Nwora in the first round.

That's gonna be a mistake.
    I bet Lonzo probably kill a spot up 3 drill in practice... I don't see any real merit in shooting drills.

Thread Information