Pelicans Report

Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA DRAFT 2020 DISCUSSION

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    He was awful on defense at EYBL and High School levels (which is where most of his film comes from, given the whole college thing). Has no idea how to defend the pick and roll, and jumped at everything in the paint.
    I thought we were talking about Wiseman...not JAX.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I thought we were talking about Wiseman...not JAX.
    We were, try and keep up

Basketball.

Has no idea how to defend the pick and roll, and jumped at everything in the paint.
    Nah, you have to be describing JAX, aren't you?

Nah, you have to be describing JAX, aren't you?
    Nope, believe it or not I am describing James ''The Next David Robinson'' Wiseman.

That said, Poku should be a likely candidate for Erie this year if he was drafted by the Pelicans. And that's NOT a bad thing.
    Would think he is likely to be stashed overseas for at least another year.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Would think he is likely to be stashed overseas for at least another year.
    Nah, I'd bring him to the G League, if you're going to keep him off the main roster for now. G League is several steps below the real NBA, but it's multiple steps above the Greek League he's already in. Get him playing against harder competition.

Nope, believe it or not I am describing James ''The Next David Robinson'' Wiseman.
    David Robinson, who??? 'The Admiral' or the drummer?

David Robinson??? 'The Admiral' or the drummer?
    Not sure if you get the joke but basically at the start of this draft, a ton of media outlets had draft comparisons for Wiseman with Davis Robinson. Basically every single person who had seen Wiseman play knew immediately that it was a terrible comparison, made basically just because Wiseman is tall and has decent mobility, and mainstream media outlets barely ever know what they're talking about

Not sure if you get the joke but basically at the start of this draft, a ton of media outlets had draft comparisons for Wiseman with Davis Robinson. Basically every single person who had seen Wiseman play knew immediately that it was a terrible comparison, made basically just because Wiseman is tall and has decent mobility, and mainstream media outlets barely ever know what they're talking about
    You got my point. Congrats!!!

My favorite one was AD lite.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    My favorite one was AD lite.
    Every tall guy with decent mobility is David Robinson or Anthony Davis. Every big who can shoot is Dirk. Every white guy who can dribble and pass is either Steve Nash if they're short or Larry Bird if they're tall. Every dominant paint player is Shaq. These are the rules of making draft comparisons if you work for Sports Illustrated, Bleacher Report, or ESPN.

You got my point. Congrats!!!
    Yeah I figured that's what you meant but explained anyway for the sake of clarity. I wouldn't want to assume you were joking and end up just ignoring you if you legit weren't sure

He was awful on defense at EYBL and High School levels (which is where most of his film comes from, given the whole college thing). Has no idea how to defend the pick and roll, and jumped at everything in the paint.
    Yea this guy is definitely the next Whiteside

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Emoni Bates will be a rookie in 4 years. When's the last time a rookie was a top 4 player?
    I thought he was a prospect for the 2022 draft. Not 2023. Thought he'd be a 2nd year player like Luka is now by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I thought he was a prospect for the 2022 draft. Not 2023. Thought he'd be a 2nd year player like Luka is now by then.
    You might be right actually, I'd have to recheck his eligibility. I just know he's 16 now, and since 19 is the normal draft age my brain just kind of auto does 16+3, which would imply 2023 draft year. There are players who get drafted at 18 though, so I'd have to check again

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    Yea this guy is definitely the next Whiteside
    I do think Whiteside is a more likely outcome than David Robinson, at least

Nah, I'd bring him to the G League, if you're going to keep him off the main roster for now. G League is several steps below the real NBA, but it's multiple steps above the Greek League he's already in. Get him playing against harder competition.
    He doesn't have to stay in Greek League. The team would decide where he goes. If they have an extra roster spot, they could bring him to the GLeague. However, he is not likely to see any time in the NBA for a year, so team may not want to use a roster spot.

He doesn't have to stay in Greek League. The team would decide where he goes. If they have an extra roster spot, they could bring him to the GLeague. However, he is not likely to see any time in the NBA for a year, so team may not want to use a roster spot.
    I get that, especially if you're one of those people who thinks he's 3 years away instead of 1 or 2, cause obviously then you want to delay starting the rookie contract countdown for as long as possible. But I'd rather have him competing against the best possible competition, with the most direct input from the team itself that is possible.

I get that, especially if you're one of those people who thinks he's 3 years away instead of 1 or 2, cause obviously then you want to delay starting the rookie contract countdown for as long as possible. But I'd rather have him competing against the best possible competition, with the most direct input from the team itself that is possible.
    The tradeoff is that a team starts the contract and also has to use a roster spot.

The tradeoff is that a team starts the contract and also has to use a roster spot.
    Sure. The contract concern I get: honestly less worried about the roster spot. Half of our roster is vanishing this free agency and a team.shouldnt be going 13 men deep with any kind of regularity anyway. That may have been Gentry's way but it is not normal.

Sure. The contract concern I get: honestly less worried about the roster spot. Half of our roster is vanishing this free agency and a team.shouldnt be going 13 men deep with any kind of regularity anyway. That may have been Gentry's way but it is not normal.
    No, but injuries play a role in the roster spots needed.

On Wednesday, ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported the draft might get pushed to Nov. 18. The draft was scheduled for Oct. 16.

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans...9cdc818a0.html

I’m so ready for the draft

Pretty positive we will make a move one way or the other so curious to see how many picks we end up with or who we trade for in the offseason

The RInger has us taking Jalen Smith at no. 13.

I know thats higher than most would like, but i l really like his game

Yeah that's why I don't trust mainstream mocks lol

Jalen Smith at 13 is a huge reach.

Thread Information