Pelicans Report

Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA DRAFT 2020 DISCUSSION

I would be all about Poku at 13. I think the mechanics, versatility, and speed of his jumpshot at his size with his movement skills, and his activity level defensively, is a special combination. He isn't a big man who can just hit spot ups or wide open pick-and-pop shots. He is going to be a weapon as a movement shooter at 7 feet tall who will bend defenses. And when that happens, he has enough skills as a ballhandler and passer to create advantages for teammates.

There is a ton of stuff he does that he shouldn't do--for example, the routine behind the back dribbles and passes that serve no purpose and cause turnovers with some frequency, the worst 10% of his shots, which are the highest difficulty/dumbest/most impossible I have seen any prospect take.

He is nowhere near ready to help a team win, mostly because I don't think he will be able to guard anyone and will get targeted defensively until he is able to put on a little weight. But I don't expect anyone they draft to be a winning player as a rookie, in any meaningful way. You are drafting him for two years from now, when he could be a MPJ-level offensive weapon who already shows more flashes defensively, even with a frame that is nowhere near where it needs to be.

Basketball.

2021 draft update:

Oklahoma State just put up Cade's official measurements.

6'8, 220lbs, 7'0.5'' wingspan.

Dudes a PG, one of the best passers in the world at any level, a solid shooter, an incredible finisher, and a strong defender.

Superstar potential. Top 5 in the NBA type potential.

There's a real world where the top 4 players in the NBA in like, 4 years,are Giannis, Luka, Zion, Cade.

Draft Lamelo Ball and let him learn behind his brother and Jrue. In a couple of years we could have one of the most dangerous young wings in the NBA that can play 3 positions. In today’s NBA it doesn’t hurt to have another player who can take it to the rim and break down defenses while hitting the open shooter. IMO he is a great fit here and would be the best spot for him to develop his game the right way. Would be happy with quite a few other players but he is at the top of my list.

My sleeper pick at the 13th spot is Alekseg Pokuśevski.. I really think this guy is going to be a stud. His skill set is insane as a 7’. He is more of a SF/PF where he plays now but I envision him here becoming more of a PF/C as he puts on weight and strength in our program while we develop him. He fits in perfectly in the front court with Zion and Ingram giving us a ridiculously versatile front court where all 3 offer a wide variety skill set. The spacing and passing ability from these guys would be insane. IMO he would be that first big off the bench to come in for Hayes as a 6th man in the front court. Gives our offense a scoring weapon off the bench that can create for himself and others when Zion is out. I think we need to get players who are versatile and can play multiple positions while being able to fit with just about anybody you put them next to. He fits very well next to Zion wether he is the PF or C in that situation. He fits great next to Hayes at the PF spot where he can stretch the floor and help create for others. Or a small ball lineup with Ingram at the 4 and Pokuśevski at the 5. This kid has a very rare skill set you don’t see often and is no doubt imo worth taking the risk on at 13. Being able to stay out at the 13th pick he is my favorite player in the draft. I would even move up a few slots to secure him.
    Very good video breakdown on Pokuśevski
    https://youtu.be/3S4UYsstDg8
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 08-25-2020 at 02:21 AM.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    I’m not that big of a fan of Poku. I do think he has potential but I have a hard time seeing him reach it. I think his measurables are more impressive than his actual basketball skill.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I’m not that big of a fan of Poku. I do think he has potential but I have a hard time seeing him reach it. I think his measurables are more impressive than his actual basketball skill.
    I'm slowly coming around. But he's got a lot to prove. He's just so freaking skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    2021 draft update:

Dudes a PG, one of the best passers in the world at any level, a solid shooter, an incredible finisher, and a strong defender.

There's a real world where the top 4 players in the NBA in like, 4 years,are Giannis, Luka, Zion, Cade.
    Emoni Bates will have his own things to say by then too. But yeah. I'm not a proponent of T-wording, but by God, would I love for us to be in the top 5 of next year's draft.

The Franchise
    2021 draft update:

The top of 2021 is awesome that is my only reason for potentially trading Jrue. This year 2 and wolves 21 pick is what I’m looking for. Then with 2, trading down but for a pick in next years draft. If LaMelo is there maybe knicks or bulls bite. That should get us 3 lottery picks and if we don’t get Cade we come out with 3 studs and most are WINGS.

The Franchise
    I think he’s a couple years away from playing in the nba. Let someone else develop him and then we can trade for him if he looks promising and will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    The top of 2021 is awesome that is my only reason for potentially trading Jrue. This year 2 and wolves 21 pick is what I’m looking for. Then with 2, trading down but for a pick in next years draft. If LaMelo is there maybe knicks or bulls bite. That should get us 3 lottery picks and if we don’t get Cade we come out with 3 studs and most are WINGS.
    I just want to make sure people know the Wolves 2021 pick is protected. Best it can be is #4, which means Cade and Jalen Green are gone. You gotta think that pick will be in the 5-8 range, which yes is good, but even in the best drafts that area is a crapshoot.

Trading Jrue to get #2 this year and lets say #6 from Minny next year plus making us bad enough for our own pick to be say #8.....its a good debate. But I dont see why Cade Cunningham's name is being brought up in that debate
    @mcnamara247

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I just want to make sure people know the Wolves 2021 pick is protected. Best it can be is #4, which means Cade and Jalen Green are gone. You gotta think that pick will be in the 5-8 range, which yes is good, but even in the best drafts that area is a crapshoot.

Trading Jrue to get #2 this year and lets say #6 from Minny next year plus making us bad enough for our own pick to be say #8.....its a good debate. But I dont see why Cade Cunningham's name is being brought up in that debate
    The debate is the west will be really good next year. I don’t want us to rush the rebuild, it’s what we did with Davis and look what happened. Let’s plan out a couple years and specifically next years draft. Those guys plus if we get some good young role players this year like okungwu and Hayes or Vassell.

It may have been answered already. I did not feel like going through 30 pages. Did we get another future draft pick from the Lakers since they made playoffs as top 3 seed? Wasn’t that part of the Davis trade ?

Really? I think it's the opposite. I think his basketball skill is really exceptional, but his measurables (how skinny and weak he is, how little force he is able to play with as a result) will be limiting factors in getting and staying on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    My sleeper pick at the 13th spot is Alekseg Pokuśevski.. I really think this guy is going to be a stud. His skill set is insane as a 7’. He is more of a SF/PF where he plays now but I envision him here becoming more of a PF/C as he puts on weight and strength in our program while we develop him. He fits in perfectly in the front court with Zion and Ingram giving us a ridiculously versatile front court where all 3 offer a wide variety skill set. The spacing and passing ability from these guys would be insane. IMO he would be that first big off the bench to come in for Hayes as a 6th man in the front court. Gives our offense a scoring weapon off the bench that can create for himself and others when Zion is out. I think we need to get players who are versatile and can play multiple positions while being able to fit with just about anybody you put them next to. He fits very well next to Zion wether he is the PF or C in that situation. He fits great next to Hayes at the PF spot where he can stretch the floor and help create for others. Or a small ball lineup with Ingram at the 4 and Pokuśevski at the 5. This kid has a very rare skill set you don’t see often and is no doubt imo worth taking the risk on at 13. Being able to stay out at the 13th pick he is my favorite player in the draft. I would even move up a few slots to secure him.
    Very good video breakdown on Pokuśevski
    https://youtu.be/3S4UYsstDg8
    I overall like Lamelo and would draft him if we ended up at #1 but not sure I'd want to spend the assets to get that high in the draft.

I agree on Poku, with the exception that I don't think even in the modern NBA he can play at the 5 in the foreseeable future. He makes Jaxson Hayes look like Steven Adams. I think he could eventually play next to Zion, but Zion has to defend the stronger interior-oriented player in that lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Biasvasospasm View Post
    I overall like Lamelo and would draft him if we ended up at #1 but not sure I'd want to spend the assets to get that high in the draft.

I agree on Poku, with the exception that I don't think even in the modern NBA he can play at the 5 in the foreseeable future. He makes Jaxson Hayes look like Steven Adams. I think he could eventually play next to Zion, but Zion has to defend the stronger interior-oriented player in that lineup.
    That's saying something since right now JAXSON is a flyweight. Too, I don't think ZION will ever be a monster defender. Everyone seems to downplay length, but it just can't be avoided. Double digit offensive rebounding (against you) a night does not bode well for success.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I'm slowly coming around. But he's got a lot to prove. He's just so freaking skinny.

Emoni Bates will have his own things to say by then too. But yeah. I'm not a proponent of T-wording, but by God, would I love for us to be in the top 5 of next year's draft.
    Emoni Bates will be a rookie in 4 years. When's the last time a rookie was a top 4 player?

Now my interest is peaked.

He’s going to look absolutely amazing in an empty gym. I want to see how he does when they put a 240lb athletic big on him. That will tell you how far away he is from contributing in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    He’s going to look absolutely amazing in an empty gym. I want to see how he does when they put a 240lb athletic big on him. That will tell you how far away he is from contributing in the league.
    My problem with this draft is there isn't anything recent to lean on at the moment.

I wonder if we will get a Bubble Fall League.

He'll probably look bad in that context but you know, so do most NBA bigs

Jax is a great example actually. Came in this year undersized. Everyone said it should just be a redshirt year, he was at least 2 years away, definitely couldn't be good.

Instead he played about 1000 minutes, and while it was obvious that he has places to improve, and yes his low weight caused him issues, he was actually a lot better than most people thought he would be and showed legitimate improvement throughout the year.

Poku right now, today, is going to be a defensive liability against bigs who have him outweighed by 40lbs. That is absolutely true. But most bigs who are 240lbs will also be defensive liabilities against him, because they can't keep up with someone that has such an advanced handle, such an advanced passing game, and shooting ability. Does that mean I think he's ready to be an NBA starter or whatever right now? Obviously not, but I do think this idea that someone being a few years away from their peak in one respect means they are years away from contributing in the league. Trae Young's still a defensive liability, and probably always will be, but that doesn't stop him from being very good at the NBA level.

He'll probably look bad in that context but you know, so do most NBA bigs

Jax is a great example actually. Came in this year undersized. Everyone said it should just be a redshirt year, he was at least 2 years away, definitely couldn't be good.

Instead he played about 1000 minutes, and while it was obvious that he has places to improve, and yes his low weight caused him issues, he was actually a lot better than most people thought he would be and showed legitimate improvement throughout the year.

Poku right now, today, is going to be a defensive liability against bigs who have him outweighed by 40lbs. That is absolutely true. But most bigs who are 240lbs will also be defensive liabilities against him, because they can't keep up with someone that has such an advanced handle, such an advanced passing game, and shooting ability. Does that mean I think he's ready to be an NBA starter or whatever right now? Obviously not, but I do think this idea that someone being a few years away from their peak in one respect means they are years away from contributing in the league. Trae Young's still a defensive liability, and probably always will be, but that doesn't stop him from being very good at the NBA level.
    It's water under the bridge, but I'll say it until I die: JAX should have been on the court in Erie, soaking up as many minutes as is humanly possible while learning how to play the game. There, he would have gotten more individual attention which would have enhanced his development. Instead, he was in New Orleans playing minutes that were, often, proven to be detrimental to the team. An "OMG, did you see that" moment, does not necessarily make a player "NBA-ready". Alas, the past is the past

That said, Poku should be a likely candidate for Erie this year if he was drafted by the Pelicans. And that's NOT a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Now my interest is peaked.
    Piqued...unless you mean it can't go any higher.

https://twitter.com/LetsGoWarriors/s...428643328?s=19

It's a Wiseman work out video. So, if I have a guess... There is no defense highlights.

Shocker.

I think team are much more interested in seeing if Wiseman have legitimate offensive potential than seeing his defense.

I think team are much more interested in seeing if Wiseman have legitimate offensive potential than seeing his defense.
    I'm actually worried about his defense. He wasn't really stellar outside of blocking shots. Looking like Kanter protecting the paint.. Just really raw.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I'm actually worried about his defense. He wasn't really stellar outside of blocking shots. Looking like Kanter protecting the paint.. Just really raw.
    He was awful on defense at EYBL and High School levels (which is where most of his film comes from, given the whole college thing). Has no idea how to defend the pick and roll, and jumped at everything in the paint.

Thread Information