Pelicans Report

Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA DRAFT 2020 DISCUSSION

Quote Originally Posted by Funcrusher View Post
    I'll answer that for you:
    The Grantfather
    I never want to see Grant's face that close up again but yeah this.
    Basketball.

lol, that was... an unmitigated disaster

Here's what my plan would be for our picks. For this, I'm assuming that all the consensus top picks (Antman, Okongwu, etc) have gone in the top 10, and that Pokusevski is already gone. Everyone knows I like him if he's still there.

We have picks 13, 39, 42, and 60.

Use 13 to draft Riller
    Package 42+60 together to try and get another pick like, idk, 34 or something.

Draft Xavier Tillman or Killian Tillie with one of those early second rounders, whichever one is still there (I feel like one might go late first)
    Use the other early 2nd rounder to draft Malachi Flynn

Walk out of the draft a winner

Edit: (I am aware this means drafting 3 rookies, I really do not care if we end up sending Flynn to the G League or whatever for the year lol)
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 08-20-2020 at 08:25 PM.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    We don't have a fancy forum where we can tag people makes me sad.
    Yeah, i was testing it with little hope that it would work.

Let's try a Twitter tag: #SpaceGhostwithCoffeeCup

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Yeah, i was testing it with little hope that it would work.

Let's try a Twitter tag: #SpaceGhostwithCoffeeCup
    I still answered the question though. My power is infinite.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Grant Riller lol

Older player, he'll be 23, but he's the guy outside of the top 5 that I think is mostly likely to hit NBA primary initiator upside as a guard. 80+% FT shooter last two years, solid passer (though not incredible or anything), mediocre 3pt shooting numbers but that's mostly cause he takes stepbacks, pullups, off-movement, off-screen shots against any defense: will be a good shooter at the NBA level, and a legit pullup threat imo. 40% career shooter on C&S too over the 4 years in college.

Kind of a mediocre defender: okay as a team guy but loses focus easily and is too small at 6'3 (not lengthy) to really guard up much, he's a 2 position defender only at the 1v1 aspect.

Legitimately the best driver and finisher at the rim in this class: he's 6'3 and shot the same percentage at the basket as Obi Toppin, and less than 25% of those shots were assisted. Ridiculous ability to create for himself and finish.

I still answered the question though. My power is infinite.
    #GOATHulk

lol, that was... an unmitigated disaster
    I missed it. What happened?

I'm in hockey mode. Go Stars!
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I missed it. What happened?
    He just posted a picture of Grant that was massive

Well I can't talk smack in the "spamming the board with giant pics" department.

Here's what my plan would be for our picks. For this, I'm assuming that all the consensus top picks (Antman, Okongwu, etc) have gone in the top 10, and that Pokusevski is already gone. Everyone knows I like him if he's still there.

We have picks 13, 39, 42, and 60.

Use 13 to draft Riller
    Package 42+60 together to try and get another pick like, idk, 34 or something.

Draft Xavier Tillman or Killian Tillie with one of those early second rounders, whichever one is still there (I feel like one might go late first)
    Use the other early 2nd rounder to draft Malachi Flynn

Walk out of the draft a winner

Edit: (I am aware this means drafting 3 rookies, I really do not care if we end up sending Flynn to the G League or whatever for the year lol)
    Riller at 13 seems way too high. He is someone that may make some sense to package the 2nd rounders to grab at the end of the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Riller at 13 seems way too high. He is someone that may make some sense to package the 2nd rounders to grab at the end of the 1st.
    In a normal draft I might agree with you but the fact is that this year, it's pretty flat between about 13 until about 30. If you see the guy you like, who you think has the potential to be a legitimately good player, take them where your pick is. Try and get cute, trade down to 21 or something and watch Riller go #17.

If you don't want him then obviously that's fine, but if you do want him and you're trying to be clever, you lose him for essentially no gain.

Usually it's fair to play that game because you have a rough idea of talent tiers where people are going, and you know that someone like Riller is going to go very probably between X spot and Y spot, so you can take that calculated risk. This year, he could go anywhere from 15 to 35, and you have absolutely no way of knowing, because the tiers have basically no definition in popular consensus.

If all of the guys you wanted more (Poku, Okongwu, whoever) are gone, and he's still there at #13, and you want him, take him.

I guess a good corollary here is how last year the Suns took Cam Johnson 11th. 90% of people thought that was a reach, and that he could have been there at 15 or even 20, so the Suns should have traded down and tried to get more value. This is true.

But the reality is that Cam has been really good for them this year and did what they wanted him to do. So even if they didn't max value by taking the risk, can you really say they made a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by ragincaucasian View Post
    Don't listen to Pelican. Nobody's taking Riller that high. Kira Lewis Jr is the point guard you're looking for. But he may not be there at 13.

But the Pelicans have enough ammo to move into the 7 - 12 range to scoop him up before the Knicks do.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Don't listen to Pelican. Nobody's taking Riller that high. Kira Lewis Jr is the point guard you're looking for. But he may not be there at 13.

But the Pelicans have enough ammo to move into the 7 - 12 range to scoop him up before the Knicks do.
    Moving up in this draft is such a poor value play unless you think Kira is like, the guy. Like, a top 5 prospect you think you're gonna snag.

In any case, I didn't say we will take Riller that high, he just asked for a player meeting various criteria who would be there at 13, which Riller likely will be. The odds are that Riller will fall in the draft to the 20s or something, just like Clarke did last year, and in a years time people will be running around going ''oh man, how did we let him go that low?''

But why... We could probably trade Jrue straight uo for a better point uf we really needed one.

But why... We could probably trade Jrue straight uo for a better point uf we really needed one.
    A better point guard that fits this teams long term plans? Like who?

I'm not gonna get into Kira vs. Riller here, but neither dude is worth wasting ammo "to move into the 7 - 12 range." Only thing we do if we're trading up is getting an extra pick if we're taking on a salary dump in the process.

We have absolutely 0 reasons to take on a salary dump. 0!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    We have absolutely 0 reasons to take on a salary dump. 0!!!
    lol, then we're not trading up then. Zero reason to waste assets trading up in this draft.

I'm not gonna get into Kira vs. Riller here, but neither dude is worth wasting ammo "to move into the 7 - 12 range." Only thing we do if we're trading up is getting an extra pick if we're taking on a salary dump in the process.
    Yeah well that what makes draft discussion fun. Kira is absolutely worth moving into that range. Great team fit for one of the most talented, yet very young/upside players in this draft.

Guys... Lets just chill... at 13 and draft Okoro/Nesmith.

Not exactly really big on the guards in this draft.

And if both guys are gone by 13? It’s very possible.

Guys... Lets just chill... at 13 and draft Okoro/Nesmith.

Not exactly really big on the guards in this draft.
    Okoro is gone by 13 imo.

Wouldn't draft Nesmith top 20. One of the few guys who I think is legitimately not arguable for a top 20 draft spot.

And i should revise that. Not a salary dump per say, but maybe a guy that has value but on a bad contract. Like Pelican jokingly said Draymond earlier but I honestly would pull the trigger on him and the #2 pick for any collection of non Zion-BI-Jrue players. I know that's not realistic (Draymond's too good) but something in that vein.

Thread Information