Pelicans Report

Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA DRAFT 2020 DISCUSSION

If moving Jrue I'd definitely try to move up in the 2nd/ bottom of 1st to get someone like Daniel Otoru.

That is the type of big this team desperately needs until Jax fills out. Makes for nice competition with those two as well.

Of course I'm on the Kira train but they'll need to move up in the lottery to get him I think.
    Last edited by luckyman; 08-17-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Okoro stock may fall, and Nesmith is looking to rise. The foot injury isn't shying teams away. They see him as an potential elite role player that is a safe pick.

I get the 3pt shot is important, but bad teams show why they are bad. A one trick spot up motion shooter shouldn't have more value than high end defensive prospect with two way star potential.

Why draft Oturu when you could just draft Tillman who is actually good at basketball?
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Why draft Oturu when you could just draft Tillman who is actually good at basketball?
    Tillman is gone before both. That's why lol

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Tillman is gone before both. That's why lol
    Tillman might not go until the late first at the earliest, could be second round. He's had such little buzz. Trade our million seconds to move up to early second or late first.

Tillman might not go until the late first at the earliest, could be second round. He's had such little buzz. Trade our million seconds to move up to early second or late first.
    We talking about Xavier Tillman, right?

This is true, it's also likely part of why Brandon Clarke fell (he was 23 at draft time, I think, which Riller would have been in a normal year).

But then, Clarke was fantastic for Memphis this year, including adding a 3 ball which a lot of people predicted he would, and showed that, once again, a great way to guarantee you draft a good basketball player who will be productive for your team, is by drafting a good basketball player who is productive on their existing team.

So maybe some team somewhere will have learned the lesson? Probably not.
    Please, please no more mentions of how the Pels passed on Brandon Clarke at 17. I have PTSD flash backs and am still a little horse from yelling at the TV on draft night...

We talking about Xavier Tillman, right?
    Yeah? I haven't paid much attention to recent mainstream mocks from SI and ESPN, has he been shooting up in popularity?

Yeah? I haven't paid much attention to recent mainstream mocks from SI and ESPN, has he been shooting up in popularity?
    Nah, I just mispook and thinking of someone else. He's probably going to shoot upnto early 20s at best

Aren't we in the lottery, why all the talk about 12th and 13th specifically?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaJoseph View Post
    Aren't we in the lottery, why all the talk about 12th and 13th specifically?

Because our default position was either going to be 12th or 13th.

Right now we have a 92% chance to get the 13th pick. A 2.3% chance to get the 14th pick. 1.7% chance to get the 4th pick, 1.5% for the 3rd, 1.3% for the 2nd, and 1.2% for the first. 0% to get any pick from 5 to 12.

So in all likelihood, we are going to end up with the 13th pick.

I'm officially investing all of my stock in Josh Green
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

If you think Otoru isnt good at basketball, then you must be watching soccer. Jesus hyperbole isnt good to use somethimes.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    If you think Otoru isnt good at basketball, then you must be watching soccer. Jesus hyperbole isnt good to use somethimes.
    It's hyperbole, I admit, but he's not an exciting or high level prospect. Would draft Jalen Smith, Xavier Tillman, or Killian Tillie over him if I was looking for a big. Solid second round prospect.

It's hyperbole, I admit, but he's not an exciting or high level prospect. Would draft Jalen Smith, Xavier Tillman, or Killian Tillie over him if I was looking for a big. Solid second round prospect.
    I also like Jalen Smith. Not as big of fans of Tillie or Tillman.

Otoru's game is more well rounded with potential to obviously get better as he adds weight. So, definitely a late 1st/2nd round prospect for me.
    Last edited by luckyman; 08-19-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Jesus Christ...

I keep trying to figure out who ya'll are taking about..

Daniel Oturu

I was talking about Isaac Okoro, and no. I didn't misspell his name, either. I know I do that a lot, because of big fingers/ small phone struggles.

Right now we have a 92% chance to get the 13th pick. A 2.3% chance to get the 14th pick. 1.7% chance to get the 4th pick, 1.5% for the 3rd, 1.3% for the 2nd, and 1.2% for the first. 0% to get any pick from 5 to 12.

Mhmm we'll have to see.

Jesus Christ...

I keep trying to figure out who ya'll are taking about..

Daniel Oturu

I was talking about Isaac Okoro, and no. I didn't misspell his name, either. I know I do that a lot, because of big fingers/ small phone struggles.
    Okoro is great, I'm not sure he'd reach his full potential with us because I think he requires some opportunity as an on-ball creator to maximise him on offense due to his poor shooting projection, and given that we have Ingram and Zion who both need the same thing we don't have a huge amount of minutes left often, but I do think he's going to be good.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I'm officially investing all of my stock in Josh Green
    I don’t like Green all that much. Good upside but there’s some stuff in his game that’s REALLY bad.

I love the new lottory odds, but they really ******** over the top odds.

47.9% chance of getting 5th. That's rough.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I don’t like Green all that much. Good upside but there’s some stuff in his game that’s REALLY bad.
    Agreed. I don't believe in his shot or his decision making. Handle is super suspect in the half court. Poor finisher at the rim, has no off hand.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Agreed. I don't believe in his shot or his decision making. Handle is super suspect in the half court. Poor finisher at the rim, has no off hand.
    I think you pretty much hit on the major points, but you’re being to generous saying he’s a poor finisher

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    I think you pretty much hit on the major points, but you’re being to generous saying he’s a poor finisher
    Yeah he's awful.

I can't remember the exact numbers although I have posted them in this thread before, but I think he has something like 3 off-hand finishes in the halfcourt in his entire 2 years in college.

Just absolutely nothing there.

Yeah he's awful.

I can't remember the exact numbers although I have posted them in this thread before, but I think he has something like 3 off-hand finishes in the halfcourt in his entire 2 years in college.

Just absolutely nothing there.
    Fair. Thoughts on Jalen Smith, Precious Achiwua, and Killian Hayes?
    Last edited by Silverfoxx; 08-19-2020 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Fair. Thoughts on Jalen Smith, Precious Achiwua, and Killian Hayes?
    Hayes is gonna go top 5 and he should. Very crafty, has improved a lot through the year, very very high quality pick and roll operator and ball handler, grown massively as a defender, he's a good prospect.

Precious Achiuwa is going to go top 20 but shouldn't. Very good athlete who occasionally has standout plays that show hints of what he maybe can do if he goes to the right development system (which don't tend to be teams that draft in the lottery, most of the time) but is a really poor decision maker and doesn't seem to know what he's doing at least 30% of the time. Very raw in a lot of vital ways.

Jalen Smith I like, but I think he's not great. He's a good defender and rebounder and obviously is a big body, but he's a slow vertical athlete (not much pop off the ground) largely because of a load up time. Pretty good lateral movement which helps him on defense but has very poor hips and turning stability which limits switchability despite that east-west mobility. High hips make lower body strength a concern for post defense. No good figures for his wingspan but rumours are that it's a little under average for centres, which combined with the lack of quick burst makes his rim protection at the next level a little questionable: he is often in the right spot though, tends to make good reads defensively. He's a pretty high IQ defender, gets into passing lanes pretty well, does the help pretty reliably. Problems come in PnR defense though where he he recovers pretty unreliably from drops, and he often just gives up lanes to drivers which is ugly. Gets lost on perimeter D fairly often as well, and he can be so slow at times that it's a problem. Can't defend ballscreens reliably.

Slow decision maker and not a particularly talented passer either out of the post or in the short roll. Really is a reactive passer as opposed to a proactive one, and I get the feeling he'll need set passes within an offense for him at the next level. Poor reads when trying to pass off the dribble, misses a lot of open looks around him; general passing feel is flat bad. If a defense is moving he has no idea how to read that.

Good hands and decent co-ordination, which help make up for the lack of top tier strength or leaping, and he's aggressive as an offensive rebounder as well which I definitely like; the question is if that's going to translate because of that lack of lower body strength and the fact that he wasn't an exceptional finisher in college (was good tho). Mediocre footwork.

Lots of promise as a shooter: release point is pretty low, which isn't optimal, but he has a nice stroke and it looks pretty natural. Saw somewhere that he shot 13/30 on NBA range threes this year, which is low volume but promising since that's about 43%. Has shown encouraging flashes of coming off screens and movement shooting, but they're rare. Still, worth noting.

Overall I think Jalen Smith is a probable NBA player and if he goes somewhere that can really pair him up properly on defense and cover for his flaws, he might even be a real good NBA player but there are enough holes in his game that I think other bigs do better (read: Tillman and Tillie) that mean that I wouldn't pick him as a top 20 pick, and if someone like Tillman was on the board still in the late first round then I'd let Smith drop.

Thread Information