Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA DRAFT 2020 DISCUSSION

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    Griff was also trading basically the single biggest asset that's been traded in the league since what, Kareem? Meanwhile, Demps was out there trading Greivis Vazquez and whatnot.
    Demps has a huge asset to trade when he began as well - Chris Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I'll never fault Demps for the Chris Paul trade because we don't know what Demps would have done with the assets from the initial Lakers deal, and Eric Gordon was just a no win situation. Most of those assets ended up being moved for James Harden.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I'll never fault Demps for the Chris Paul trade because we don't know what Demps would have done with the assets from the initial Lakers deal, and Eric Gordon was just a no win situation. Most of those assets ended up being moved for James Harden.
    I am not sure any assets other than Kevin Martin were included in the Harden trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    General consensus seems to be that he's got all the measurables of a lottery pick but he's, like, just not good at basketball.
    Yeah, basically this.
    Basketball.

I am not sure any assets other than Kevin Martin were included in the Harden trade.
    Chris Paul for James Harden straight up. Hindsight is 2020 (now that we're living in it) and the cap be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    Chris Paul for James Harden straight up. Hindsight is 2020 (now that we're living in it) and the cap be damned.
    What? You make 0 sense. They weren’t moved in the same season. And besides, OKC moved Harden to shed his commanding salary.

Dude.. seeing what Demps did during his entire tenure, that’s not something I’d want to fantasize about. I bet it would have been just as underwhelming as his entire body of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    What? You make 0 sense. They weren’t moved in the same season. And besides, OKC moved Harden to shed his commanding salary.
    I reckon my /s font was turned off. My bad. As I stated above, the cap be damned.

Dude.. seeing what Demps did during his entire tenure, that’s not something I’d want to fantasize about. I bet it would have been just as underwhelming as his entire body of work.
    What if he just traded Chris Paul for James Harden straight up?

Dude... My point was that in the initial trade, Demps got better players and assets than he ended up getting in the Clippers trade that was forced upon him. Dragic alone would've been huge for the Pels, and a perfect fit next to AD. Kevin Martin, Lamar Odom, Goran Dragic, Luis Scola, and a 2012 first is so much more valuable than what the Hornets ended up getting from the Clippers. Martin got moved with two firsts for Harden. Odom was traded to Dallas for a 1st. Dragic became one of the better point guards in the league, and would have been incredible next to Jrue and AD. Scola averaged 15 and 6 that year as well.

Demps did not make the right moves, but I can't say that the original Lakers deal was the wrong one.

Realized while doing this research that Gordon has basically become Kevin Martin.
    Last edited by pelafanatic; 06-12-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Dude... My point was that in the initial trade, Demps got better players and assets than he ended up getting in the Clippers trade that was forced upon him. Dragic alone would've been huge for the Pels, and a perfect fit next to AD. Kevin Martin, Lamar Odom, Goran Dragic, Luis Scola, and a 2012 first is so much more valuable than what the Hornets ended up getting from the Clippers. Martin got moved with two firsts for Harden. Odom was traded to Dallas for a 1st. Dragic became one of the better point guards in the league, and would have been incredible next to Jrue and AD. Scola averaged 15 and 6 that year as well.

Demps did not make the right moves, but I can't say that the original Lakers deal was the wrong one.

Realized while doing this research that Gordon has basically become Kevin Martin.
    That literally means no AD with a bunch of mediocre talent where the Pelicans sits at 8-10 seed year in and year out with no cap space. Think about it. It didn’t sound good then and it definitely doesn’t sound good in hindsight. I wouldn’t change a thing knowing that everything led to what we are today with a legitimate front office and the assets and resources that we’re extremely fortunate to have. It’s a great position to be in.

That literally means no AD with a bunch of mediocre talent where the Pelicans sits at 8-10 seed year in and year out with no cap space. Think about it. It didn’t sound good then and it definitely doesn’t sound good in hindsight. I wouldn’t change a thing knowing that everything led to what we are today with a legitimate front office and the assets and resources that we’re extremely fortunate to have. It’s a great position to be in.
    I'm not saying I would change it. I'm saying I don't fault Dell for the Clippers trade. That's it. I don't think he was a good GM.

Hmm good point...and he did target young players with upside at that time. Gordon then was basically = Ingram a year ago.

Im liking vassell/patrick williams/tyler bey with our pick

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Im liking vassell/patrick williams/tyler bey with our pick
    I just can't get behind picking a toolsy guy this year over an offensive upside guy. Hollinger came out with an article today outlining the guys who are underpaid compared to the value the add, and nearly every one of them is a defensively-inclined wing with some shooting ability. Point being, these are the guys that are usually left after the first wave of FA, so they get signed on a value deal. You can infer from their value on the open market that they probably don't possess much trade value either.

If you miss on a toolsy guy, it hurts you much worse than if you miss on a high upside scorer. The scorers will nearly always hold trade value for longer because of the perception and how difficult it is to find scoring. If you're picking in the 20s, then sure go find a guy who can fill a need with high character. Not in the lottery, however.

If you look back at the past 4 years, drafting these types of players in the lottery has almost never worked out, especially in their first 2-3 years. The lone exception might be Jaylen Brown depending on how you feel about his game, but he has elite level athleticism and a incredible bball IQ defensively.

Best guess as of today we have four picks in this draft. Number 13,39,41 and 60. I don't care how we can use our draft capital but at the end of the day I'd like just two players.

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/02/2...outing-report/

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/...ig-role-player

I just can't get behind picking a toolsy guy this year over an offensive upside guy. Hollinger came out with an article today outlining the guys who are underpaid compared to the value the add, and nearly every one of them is a defensively-inclined wing with some shooting ability. Point being, these are the guys that are usually left after the first wave of FA, so they get signed on a value deal. You can infer from their value on the open market that they probably don't possess much trade value either.

If you miss on a toolsy guy, it hurts you much worse than if you miss on a high upside scorer. The scorers will nearly always hold trade value for longer because of the perception and how difficult it is to find scoring. If you're picking in the 20s, then sure go find a guy who can fill a need with high character. Not in the lottery, however.

If you look back at the past 4 years, drafting these types of players in the lottery has almost never worked out, especially in their first 2-3 years. The lone exception might be Jaylen Brown depending on how you feel about his game, but he has elite level athleticism and a incredible bball IQ defensively.
    Of the 3 i listed i actually like patrick williams the most.. i like his upside and fit with this team... i honestly don't like this draft class, it's not that good of a draft but i see tons of good roleplayers that still has the potential to be better. I don't mind getting the og anunoby type players to go along with our future core players.

Quote Originally Posted by PaKwAn View Post
    Of the 3 i listed i actually like patrick williams the most.. i like his upside and fit with this team... i honestly don't like this draft class, it's not that good of a draft but i see tons of good roleplayers that still has the potential to be better. I don't mind getting the og anunoby type players to go along with our future core players.
    Just don't lose sight of the fact that players more often than not will never develop a jumper if they didn't have one in college, especially not on their first contract/team. It took Anunoby 3 years to get up to 38% on over 3 attempts per game, and that's sort of an aberration. If we were picking solely for need, out of the 3 you mentioned, I'd go Vassell as long as their confident he can add a little extra bulk. Give me the guy who can already shoot.

Of the players expected to be available when the Pelicans will probably be picking, I keep coming back to one guy -- Aaron Nesmith. He can already play a little defense and he has shown he can shoot. I want someone that can help with defense and spacing and it doesn't hurt that he could slide in as backup to Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mount Zion View Post
    Of the players expected to be available when the Pelicans will probably be picking, I keep coming back to one guy -- Aaron Nesmith. He can already play a little defense and he has shown he can shoot. I want someone that can help with defense and spacing and it doesn't hurt that he could slide in as backup to Ingram.
    Nesmith and Patrick Williams are my top two of the guys likely to be available around our pick. I think Vassell eventually had a good career for his 2nd or 3rd team but I think Nesmith and Williams have a chance at being great for their first team.

Guys who are solid to good across the board often turn out to have fine careers, but it's almost never for their first team
    @mcnamara247

I was in on Nesmith until I watched the Okoro matchup, and now I'm so-so on his long term potential as a two way player. Okoro absolutely destroyed him consistently both in the post and off the dribble (I'm not super high on Okoro either). It was clear when matched up against NBA level athleticism and strength, he was a tier below. That was the only game all season that he played against decent competition, considering he went on to miss the rest of the season.

Then offensively his handle just wasn't tight enough to get around Okoro consistently to really make anything happen. He's a prolific shooter, undoubtedly, but I'm worried about his ability to find anything else offensively. I get the Klay Thompson comparisons (without the defense), though, if he goes to the right team. He's a walking microwave; but hes not going to create for others, as can be seen by his .52 AST on 26% usage. That guy has to already be on the team, and based on what I've seen after reviewing some film, I think he'd be a pretty good fit offensively next to BI and Jrue. Plus, he'd demand some of the most gravity on the team almost immediately, which would help free up Zion.

I think he'd be best suited for the Etwaun Moore/Frank Jackson role year one. Basically not asked to do anything on ball, just knock down the open shots and cut from time to time.

It should be noted that he was a part of quite possibly the worst team in SEC history last season, but its fair to say that losing Garland played a key role in that. Those two would've been a lot of fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Nesmith and Patrick Williams are my top two of the guys likely to be available around our pick. I think Vassell eventually had a good career for his 2nd or 3rd team but I think Nesmith and Williams have a chance at being great for their first team.

Guys who are solid to good across the board often turn out to have fine careers, but it's almost never for their first team
    Do you think most NBA teams look at college players in that light. That rarely happens in the NFL but in the NBA, all of the time. It drives me crazy when a former Pelican/Hornet magically becomes great with his third team. Or maybe I am just too sensitive. Just another dynamic to think about I guess.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Do you think most NBA teams look at college players in that light. That rarely happens in the NFL but in the NBA, all of the time. It drives me crazy when a former Pelican/Hornet magically becomes great with his third team. Or maybe I am just too sensitive. Just another dynamic to think about I guess.
    No -- I think most teams think of the draft completely wrong and its why teams have about a 15% success rate with picks 3-20. They think of current need and think of what the player will be. But dont realize that it likely wont be for the team who drafted them.

Go look around the league at every guy you consider a good role player. Then, tell me how many are on the team that drafted them. Almost none. And that is for a variety of different reasons, but the point of the story is that if you are saying to yourself "I like this guy. He fits a need for this roster and I can see him being a solid role player for us.... DONT TAKE HIM. History says he might become that, but for some other team and you just spent time and resources developing a guy to help your opponent

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    I also think a huge problem in the NBA is job security of high management. Most GMs picking in the lottery don't have the luxury to miss on a prospect, and ownership wants a guy they can sell to fans in year 1. This is one of the reasons you see guys with lower ceilings but higher floors get picked over the super high ceiling guys. You know that the guy who is good at everything but a master of none will not bust out.

This is why you see the same teams consistently miss in the draft year after yeas. The GMs change but the pressure from ownership stays the same, and then Willie Cauley-Stein and Frank Kaminsky get taken over Myles Turner and Devin Booker.

Worth noting this when next season eventually happens.

Rookies next year may look dreadful, and it won't entirely be due to the low talent level. Obviously that may play into it, but the circumstances are not in their favour.

Thread Information