Pelicans Report

Page 24 of 54 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA DRAFT 2020 DISCUSSION

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I absolutely agree on the consolidation of picks, as well. We have 3 this year; we drafted 4 guys last year (including Didi, who may or may not be with the team properly next season), we can't draft 4 guys this year as well and expect to actually have them all with the team. Much more sensible in my mind to try and consolidate our 3 second rounders into maybe a later first, or (as you say) kick them down the road into 2021 second rounders or something. It would be absurd beyond belief to try and have like 10 guys under the age of 23 on the squad (Zion, Jax, NAW, Didi, Lonzo, Ingram, + 4 draftees from this season).

Much better to have Zion, Jax, Lonzo, and Ingram with the team for certain, and then see how things go for everyone else, whether that means they're G League'd all year, or maybe they spend some time in the G League and then some time with the team (as NAW did this season), or if they get sent overseas.
    I agree. There is no way we end up with 4 rookies on the squad this year. If Didi comes over, I would not expect more than 1 added through the draft with the other picks either being consolidated into another top stash or traded/sold.

I'm really starting to think Deni is the ideal guy for the Pels this year, but also that his stock is going to rise too high for the Pels. I'm not sure we'll be capable of getting higher than 8 without giving up major future assets.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I'm really starting to think Deni is the ideal guy for the Pels this year, but also that his stock is going to rise too high for the Pels. I'm not sure we'll be capable of getting higher than 8 without giving up major future assets.
    I would be very surprised if we ended up drafting in the top 8 this year, and I don't really want to either. I feel like the value plays aren't really at that spot, unless you're going to punt on someone like Poku.

Deni is a top ten prospect in this draft but I don't really see how he's supposed to be the ideal guy for us.
    Basketball.

I would be very surprised if we ended up drafting in the top 8 this year, and I don't really want to either. I feel like the value plays aren't really at that spot, unless you're going to punt on someone like Poku.

Deni is a top ten prospect in this draft but I don't really see how he's supposed to be the ideal guy for us.
    If his jumper is legit like he's shown since his season restarted, another versatile wing next to BI and Zion would be an incredible fit. Deni's combination of size and skillset is the most difficult thing to find in the NBA. He also appears to have the body to eventually guard bigger 3/4s, which is something that I don't think BI will ever be able to do. If you expect major regression from his jumper then I could see why you may not be interested, but the ability to run out 5 playmakers over 6'6 at some point in the near future is incredibly intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    If his jumper is legit like he's shown since his season restarted, another versatile wing next to BI and Zion would be an incredible fit. Deni's combination of size and skillset is the most difficult thing to find in the NBA. He also appears to have the body to eventually guard bigger 3/4s, which is something that I don't think BI will ever be able to do. If you expect major regression from his jumper then I could see why you may not be interested, but the ability to run out 5 playmakers over 6'6 at some point in the near future is incredibly intriguing.
    I can see the shot being okay, maybe even 'good' but I don't think it will be a high level jumper at least not for a while. Obviously it's encouraging to see his recent hot shooting, but to meet it feels too good to be true; he's shot well over 50% from three since coming back on high volume and that's obviously just not sustainable. Does it indicate some upside there? Sure, but it's not enough for me to buy it just off the bat, considering the larger sample size of very poor shooting and the still noticeable mechanical issues (you can be a good shoot with iffy mechanics, but in that case I would need more evidence to buy it).

I'm also in the camp of people who don't really believe that his on ball offense is going to translate nearly as well to the NBA as some people expect. He will have secondary playmaker ability, but I've seen a lot of people talking about him like he's going to be some power forward sized halfcourt PnR initiator and it's just not something I think is going to happen at all, at least not with regularity, which puts a cap on his impact. Still like I said, he is a top 10 talent, but I just don't feel like that fit is perfect for us.

I'm also in the camp of people who don't really believe that his on ball offense is going to translate nearly as well to the NBA as some people expect. He will have secondary playmaker ability, but I've seen a lot of people talking about him like he's going to be some power forward sized halfcourt PnR initiator and it's just not something I think is going to happen at all, at least not with regularity, which puts a cap on his impact. Still like I said, he is a top 10 talent, but I just don't feel like that fit is perfect for us.
    That's fair, and obviously you've watched more film on the guy than I have so I'll trust your opinion. I do think he's at a higher level with the ball in his hands than Dario Saric was at the same age, however, and I'm also of the cap that Saric has never really been on a team that plays to his strengths at all (I'd love to see the Pels take a shot at him this offseason and see what he can do in space). I think the Saric comps kind of have some people scared off from Deni as an initiator.

Hearing that Xavier Tillman may drop out of the draft and return to college.

Big loss for this draft, he was a clear first round talent and a top 5 centre.

Hearing that Xavier Tillman may drop out of the draft and return to college.

Big loss for this draft, he was a clear first round talent and a top 5 centre.
    He must not be getting info that gives him confidence of being a 1st rounder. Otherwise, it would be questionable to go back to school given there is the risk of not having a season (and then being a year older for next year's draft).

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He must not be getting info that gives him confidence of being a 1st rounder. Otherwise, it would be questionable to go back to school given there is the risk of not having a season (and then being a year older for next year's draft).
    Sure, and that sucks. He's clearly a top 30 talent, one of the best players at his position, the idea that nobody is willing to give him positive indicators for a first round pick is absurd to me.

This reminds me a little bit of when Brandon Clarke slid into the 20s last draft despite clearly being one of the best players available, and then went on to have a really really great rookie year and had a ton of people saying ''oh man, how did he drop in the draft, what a steal!''. Except instead of dropping into the 20s, they're letting Tillman drop out of the draft. Awesome.

2021 prospect Jonathan Kuminga is taking a GLeague deal rather than going to college. $500k.

Deserves it, he's gonna be a top ten guy in a very good draft. Explosive and strong as hell

Edit: just saw Shams tweet about this saying he was ''potential no.1 pick in 2021''

Uh... I guess it isn't literally forbidden by the laws of the universe but it would stun me if Cade Cunningham wasn't the clear number one pick.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 07-15-2020 at 09:10 PM.

anthony randolph could play in the league right now. watched some film on him last year. he was a manimal

The Franchise
    If you could trade down and pick up picks next year, that would be ideal. The issue is it takes 2 to tango and I don’t think most teams will want to give up next year picks because of the high schoolers coming out. I do see MMS point but you still need to get as much talent on the team as possible. That’s why you draft higher upside players instead of need. It’s nice when it’s both for sure. I think this year you have to make your picks and trade these players and other picks at the next trade deadline. Pray the guys that you want that their team sucks and will take NAW, RJ Hampton, our first and lakers first next year. That should net you a very good player. Maybe booker wants out and you can give Lonzo or Jrue, this year pick, next year pick, and lakers pick of and of course with salary fillers.
    Last edited by tdcreator; 07-31-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Thank goodness.

Let Favors walk, trade up into the late first with our seconds and draft Tillman

Thank goodness.

Let Favors walk, trade up into the late first with our seconds and draft Tillman
    Wouldn't be against that, but he does not replace Favors day 1. We need a veteran to replace Favors. Ibaka is a FA but not sure he would take the MLE. Leonard is a FA. Would the Nets part with Jarrett Allen?

I’d take any combination of Baynes + Leonard/Plumlee/Len before signing Favors. A rim running big like Jalen Smith in the draft would be nice to round out the front court.

Favors, Okafor, Kenrich gotta go.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    I’d take any combination of Baynes + Leonard/Plumlee/Len before signing Favors. A rim running big like Jalen Smith in the draft would be nice to round out the front court.

Favors, Okafor, Kenrich gotta go.
    Kelly Olynick. He and JAX should man the five next year.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Kelly Olynick. He and JAX should man the five next year.
    He has a player option for about $14 million. No sure he would accept the MLE to waive that option.

He has a player option for about $14 million. No sure he would accept the MLE to waive that option.
    pretty sure the pelicans can create cap space if they waive the rights to a few guys and keep ingram's cap hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    pretty sure the pelicans can create cap space if they waive the rights to a few guys and keep ingram's cap hold.
    Not sure that they can create enough below the cap to warrant giving up the MLE.

Wouldn't be against that, but he does not replace Favors day 1. We need a veteran to replace Favors. Ibaka is a FA but not sure he would take the MLE. Leonard is a FA. Would the Nets part with Jarrett Allen?
    I would honestly let him replace Favors day one and just run with it. I trust in Tillman's defense and IQ enough to think he wouldn't be an absolute disaster, and he's one of the older players in this draft so there's not the ''youth and inexperience'' concern that someone Jax has surrounding him.

It might be rough at times but I don't mind rough from a rookie that's growing. Rough from a damn near 30 year old with years of quality play behind him is a lot less understandable.

Nets won't part with Allen though, sadly, cause while Allen is limited I do think he's decent.

I would honestly let him replace Favors day one and just run with it. I trust in Tillman's defense and IQ enough to think he wouldn't be an absolute disaster, and he's one of the older players in this draft so there's not the ''youth and inexperience'' concern that someone Jax has surrounding him.

It might be rough at times but I don't mind rough from a rookie that's growing. Rough from a damn near 30 year old with years of quality play behind him is a lot less understandable.

Nets won't part with Allen though, sadly, cause while Allen is limited I do think he's decent.
    The Nets reportedly were listening to offers at the deadline. Supposedly, the older vets wanted to rely on Jordan and not the young center. If we could get him for our 1st, I would do it in a heartbeat. Tillman may develop but I do not see him stepping into the NBA as a starter right away.

The Nets reportedly were listening to offers at the deadline. Supposedly, the older vets wanted to rely on Jordan and not the young center. If we could get him for our 1st, I would do it in a heartbeat. Tillman may develop but I do not see him stepping into the NBA as a starter right away.
    The Nets were listening to offers, sure. And yes, everyone knows that Kyrie and KD are best friends with DJ so they want him to start; part of the friction they had with Atkinson was Atkinson's (justified) reluctance to bench a promising young big for a 30 year old years past his prime. Would I trade for Jarrett Allen with a top 15 pick? Probably not. Lower than that, maybe.

My point about Tillman being start-able is not necessarily that he will immediately be a top 15 C from day one (he won't be, just for the record) but instead that Favors hasn't been either and that I'd rather give those minutes to a young player that we have under a cost controlled deal and just let him develop given that hes not like a 5 year project, than give them to a 30 year old who gets back spasms every 12 minutes and vanishes on offense and is also one year away from leaving the team entirely.

If Tillman comes in and plays with some inconsistencies but overall provides good value and plays defense without being a huge plus on offense early in his career, I see that as a plus cause he's young and is under contract to develop. When Favors does that same thing but is 30 and is about to become a FA, I'm much less enthused.

Would I trade for Jarrett Allen with a top 15 pick? Probably not. Lower than that, maybe.
    In most drafts I would agree. However, unless someone falls to the 12-13 range, I think Allen, at 22, is better than the prospects that are projected to be available and he fills a need. Likely doesn't matter as he has been playing well so his value may be higher now. I am not sold on Tillman being a sure thing but would not mind taking a flier on him.

In most drafts I would agree. However, unless someone falls to the 12-13 range, I think Allen, at 22, is better than the prospects that are projected to be available and he fills a need. Likely doesn't matter as he has been playing well so his value may be higher now. I am not sold on Tillman being a sure thing but would not mind taking a flier on him.
    I would honestly rather just draft Pokusevski 13th or something than go with Allen.

I would honestly rather just draft Pokusevski 13th or something than go with Allen.
    He is a wildcard. Someone could fall in love with his potential and take him 8-12 or he could fall to late 1st/early 2nd.

Thread Information