Jrue
    Ball
    Hart
    NAW
    Frank
    Didi
    Moore
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I can't imagine a better fit next to Zion and Jax than Obi Toppin if everything breaks right for him. Offensively at least, he's a match made in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    I can't imagine a better fit next to Zion and Jax than Obi Toppin if everything breaks right for him. Offensively at least, he's a match made in heaven.
    The downside is that he's relatively old (will be well over 22 at time of draft) and is (and I say this generously) a disaster on defense. One of the worst defensive prospects in the entire draft. He's on Rui Hachimura levels of negative defensive feel.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I don’t know what this team needs, but it certainly isn’t more guards:

Jrue
    Ball
    Hart
    NAW
    Frank
    Didi
    Moore
    Depends on if you're thinking about next year, or the future.

Frank and Moore, at the least, are probably not parts of this team long term. Neither is Redick; he'll very plausibly be retired in a couple of years.

If you're thinking ''who do we need to draft next year'' then sure, guards probably aren't where you're looking. But if you're thinking ''who do we need to draft long term to fit next to Zion'' then guards make a little more sense.

You have Ball and Hart outperforming expectations (or perhaps just shaking off the Lakers stink), Jrue not wanting to leave, Frank and NAW are both only 21, we have youth at the guard spot. Throw in Didi, and it’s almost an embarrassment of riches.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    You have Ball and Hart outperforming expectations (or perhaps just shaking off the Lakers stink), Jrue not wanting to leave, Frank and NAW are both only 21, we have youth at the guard spot. Throw in Didi, and it’s almost an embarrassment of riches.
    Unless you're absolutely convinced that Ball, Hart, Frank, NAW, and Didi are all guaranteed long term locks to stay with the team, you shouldn't be put off from drafting someone you think might have that kind of staying power.

If you think the best player available at your spot is a guard but you refuse to draft them because of Frank Jackson or Didi Louzada, you're not thinking long term. It would be like refusing to draft Onyeka Okongwu because we already have Okafor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The downside is that he's relatively old (will be well over 22 at time of draft) and is (and I say this generously) a disaster on defense. One of the worst defensive prospects in the entire draft. He's on Rui Hachimura levels of negative defensive feel.
    Yea I'm not really worried about age since we already have our core and we'll be picking in the mid teens. Even if he is a disaster defensively, I don't think that hurts you so badly as a third big. As long as he can be a decent defensive rebounder, his offense should more than make up for that. Plus his offensive ability would just open things up so much for either Zion or Jax.

Quote Originally Posted by pelafanatic View Post
    Yea I'm not really worried about age since we already have our core and we'll be picking in the mid teens. Even if he is a disaster defensively, I don't think that hurts you so badly as a third big. As long as he can be a decent defensive rebounder, his offense should more than make up for that. Plus his offensive ability would just open things up so much for either Zion or Jax.
    That's fair, but I think if you're talking about fit with Zion and Jax and you don't care too much about age, Killian Tillie out of Gonzaga would be my pick over Toppin. Good shooter, great passer for a big, and actually a really good defender as well. He's older too, but I think he could provide most of the offensive benefits Toppin but with a much higher defensive floor. If someone can give you (idk) 75% of Toppin's offense but is 200% as good on defense, that's definitely worth the trade off to me.

Haven't seen much of Tillie. Sounds kind of like Sabonis though based on your description, which would be a very nice fit as well.

If we got a Morant level prospect at G. Then, G isn't off tge table, but you need to maximize the opportunity to off load some of these guards and get bigger.

We need better bigs and shooters. So, i see it as BPA.

The number 1 thing this team is missing, and its been mentioned by some of the media guys, is an elite shooter off the dribble. The Pels have no one on their team who scares teams in the PnR from a shooting standpoint. I do think that's an area where BI can make huge strides potentially this offseason, but still he'll never be near the level of a Curry or Dame (not many are, obviously). If the Pels think that guy is in the draft, go get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    If we got a Morant level prospect at G. Then, G isn't off tge table, but you need to maximize the opportunity to off load some of these guards and get bigger.

We need better bigs and shooters. So, i see it as BPA.
    There are no Morant level prospects in this draft. The closest you'd get for a guard is Killian Hayes, but he's really not the same type of player.

For me, I don't really mind too much if a player is listed at guard as long as they're a bigger guard who can contribute defensively a size up, like a Hart or a Jrue. That's part of why I like Vassell so much in that 10-15 range; he's 6'6 with a 6'10 wingspan and is strong. You could easily play him at the 3 without giving up masses of size.

I like what the trio from LA have brought. I thought that they would be chopped liver (having seen them perform in LA), but since exiting that stage they have all really come on well here. Who thought Ball could shoot a 3 before he got here (I know I couldn’t)? His defense and passing have been great. I like what Ball does for us, and he plays well next to Zion. I think he can be upgraded (if an upgraded is to be had), but I want to see him grow in chemistry with Zion and BI.

As for Frank, I imagine he will hit the market, but I can see him returning when there is more money on the streets. He could come back next year, fight with NAW (what has happened to that guy) and Didi, and then let him go next season in a trade.

Man, this draft really does suck though

There is not a single first or even second tier prospect in it.

There's no Zion in this draft. There's no Luka here. Not even a Ja Morant or a Jaren Jackson Jr or a Jayson Tatum.

The 2020 draft; the one where nobody's actually that great

There's no Zion in this draft. There's no Luka here. Not even a Ja Morant or a Jaren Jackson Jr or a Jayson Tatum.

That's perfectly fine. We have 4 picks (3 really as the 60th pick doesn't count) to get a role player. A defensive wing and a shooting big.

I agree. Both free agency and the draft are very “meh”. This is where Scouts and GMs earn their money. If the team really believes in the talent we have on the roster then I can see us running it back with the same squad give or take a few guys, but I wonder if we don’t trade a few picks so that we aren’t saturated with young talent next year.

We have a bunch of studs, not every pick has to be a superstar, take the BPA and hope he has 1 or 2 elite traits. A great 3 and D, or a great rebounder etc.

And let’s not forget we have our future backup small forward in Australian in Didi. Dude looks like a defensive stud thabo sefalosha clone but with a sharp shooting 3 pointer, which is perfect next to people like Ingram Lonzo and Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    That's perfectly fine. We have 4 picks (3 really as the 60th pick doesn't count) to get a role player. A defensive wing and a shooting big.
    Can we trade all of our picks this year plus some of the sketchier roleplayers for 2005 Andrei Kirilenko?

Hall of Famer
    I'm still on the trade for miles turner train

To those wondering what happened to NAW, point guard is the hardest transition to make from college to pros, and NAW barely played any point guard to begin with at VA Tech. He'll come around, hopefully next year, but we need to be patient.

Other than Ja, the shooting splits for rookie guards are horrendous around the league:
    Barrett: 39/32/61
    Garland: 39/35/87
    Culver: 39/28/47
    White: 37/34/75
    Herro: 41/39/84 --Herro is the lone exception but he's the only player on this list that really gets the benefit of playing majority of the time off ball
    Langford: 49/27/75 (2 FGA/G)
    NAW: 34/34/60

While NAW's numbers look absolutely horrible, we've all seen what he can do against guys at his level of competition mentally. If everything JJ has said is true about NAW's work ethic, I think he'll learn to be more clever with his length. He could really benefit from putting on some extra weight, as well as watching and emulating some of his cousin SGA's finishing moves.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    And let’s not forget we have our future backup small forward in Australian in Didi. Dude looks like a defensive stud thabo sefalosha clone but with a sharp shooting 3 pointer, which is perfect next to people like Ingram Lonzo and Zion.
    Yeah I wish Didi was a bit taller. 6'5" isn't really ideal as a SF. Josh Hart already fits that profile.

Can we trade all of our picks this year plus some of the sketchier roleplayers for 2005 Andrei Kirilenko?
    If only there was an AK47 in this draft.
    Any good role players I should look into with our picks?
    Assuming the Pels make the playoffs so their pick will be 15+.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    If only there was an AK47 in this draft.
    Any good role players I should look into with our picks?
    Assuming the Pels make the playoffs so their pick will be 15+.

To be fair, teams didn’t realize there was an AK47 in that draft either, otherwise Andre would have been a top 10 pick. It’s all about the scouting department (both international and domestic) to be on their game.

Is NAW a PG though, or is this a square peg round hole situation?

He played SG at VT, and should at least see the court there instead of Frank if we want NAW to develop. I am just a little skeptical of what we really have in NAW, or should the skepticism be in Gentry?

Thread Information