Pelicans Report

Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1341

Thread: NBA DRAFT 2020 DISCUSSION

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Pelicanidae, have you posted your big board for the 13 pick range for the Pelicans? If not, you mind sharing?

Here is mine:

1. Patrick Williams
    2. Poku
    3. Tyrell Terry
    4. Kira Lewis
    5. Aaron Nesmith
    6. Tyrese Maxley
    7. Grant Riller
    8. Precious
    9. Sadiq Bey
    10. Josh Green
    Tyrell Terry that far above Saddiq Bey? Interesting.

I'd be glad if they snatch both Beys (Saddiq and Tyler).

Both Beys are underwhelming to me compared to mainstream hype (not to say they suck or anything, it's just common to see them in the top 15 which is a reach to me).

It's difficult to give a big board, but I'll kind of do vague tiers. Firstly, I'm not including guys who are pretty much consensus top 5 or 6 picks who we will almost certainly not get: not going to bother telling everyone that I'd like Killian Hayes because he's very probably not going to be there at 13. Same with Okoro, Okongwu, Vassell, etc. Similarly, not going to bother ranking down into the second round because as much as I think Nate Hinton is fun, I wouldn't pick him inside the top 20.

So tiers of player I think might be available around #13.

Tier 1:
    - Aleksej Pokusevski: highest boom/bust potential in the draft. Could end up being intensely special, also could flame out. Worth a shot.
    - Xavier Tillman: Best ''do it all'' style big in the draft. Best defensive big in the draft. Best short roll passer in the draft. Will be able to contribute good minutes immediately.
    - Patrick Williams: One of the younger players in the draft, he projects really well as a defensive prospect. Would be a guy that needs development but I see a good ceiling.
    - Kira Lewis: My doubts about him are well known but I have warmed to him over time.
    - Tyrese Maxey: I don't rate his shooting ceiling quite as high as Kira's but he's very probably going to be a better defender and his ceiling as a finisher in NBA space is encouraging.

Tier 2:
    - Desmond Bane: A reach, yes, but he's the best shooter in the draft in my opinion and a smart team defender with high level auxiliary skills. Will never be a primary, but will be good.
    - Grant Riller: Age and defensive concerns keep him out of tier 1 but he's got the highest odds of being an NBA level initiator outside of the big names like Hayes.
    - Tyler Bey: He's Tyler Bey, we all know.
    - Malachi Flynn: Best PnR operator in the class, projects well as a really reliable guard with solid ability on both ends. Can shoot, which helps a lot.

Tier 3:
    - Jalen Smith: Has a high outlook as a big shooter and did show some defensive upside despite his stiffness of movement and poor technique.
    - Leandro Bolmaro: Kind of has a LaMelo Ball type thing where he's super high level at a few things but has big gaps elsewhere: probably a stash guy for a year, or he'd be higher.
    - Cole Anthony: Had a really bad year at UNC but still showed very very good team defense upside and his pull-up shooting was real at college even if awful team circumstances drove his percentages down overall. Not fully in on him, or he'd be higher, but there's still intrigue.
    - Killian Tillie: As a pure player he'd be tiers higher because he's great but injury concerns are real and would make me think twice about drafting him this highly. If he's still there in the early 2nd round I'd take him without a second's hesitation.

Something like that. Don't hold me to it too harshly because things do depend on team contexts: like if Cole Anthony goes somewhere that asks him to be a full time on ball creator immediately he's going to look bad for at least a while, so don't come tell me I'm an idiot for putting him that high when someone lower outperforms him in a better team context
    Basketball.

I'm officially announcing that I am the fan boi who will tout the party line and think whoever we draft was the best player in the draft

(Not mocking anyone. I just know myself)
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    I'm officially announcing that I am the fan boi who will tout the party line and think whoever we draft was the best player in the draft

(Not mocking anyone. I just know myself)
    Because there's a lack of super top end talent in this draft and a lot of tiers seem fairly flat, I'd be a little surprised if we drafted someone I hated at #13. I mean, it is possible, maybe we randomly have Obi Toppin slip down to 13 and we end up taking him, I would dislike that quite a lot, but overall it seems like there will be so many options I wouldn't hate that we'd have to almost pick one of them by luck.

Ironically enough, these are the most exciting drafts for me. There are so many unknowns considering the season was cut short due to coronavirus. I can see a lot of good talent falling late and I wouldn’t be opposed to acquiring another later/midround pick.

This draft is going to be really fun because there are a lot of guys that I'm quite high on but who I am almost certain are going to get drafted quite late for various reasons, and if they pan out as well as I think they could they'll be good feathers in the cap

Grant Riller, Killian Tillie, Malachi Flynn, Xavier Tillman hype.

Again, because none of these guys are sure-fire stars this draft does become a bit more context dependent than some other years might be, but one of the advantages of being picked low in the draft is that you're more likely to go to a good team.

I'd love to see Flynn on Milwaukee, for example. Wow that would be fire.

I want Tillman with one of our 2nds. Him and whichever high floor guard falls. Payton Pritchard is a guy I like as a great backup PG for 3-4 years on a tiny salary. Take him at 42
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I want Tillman with one of our 2nds. Him and whichever high floor guard falls. Payton Pritchard is a guy I like as a great backup PG for 3-4 years on a tiny salary. Take him at 42
    What would be extremely fun (and also extraordinarily unlikely) is if we could do something like trading 42 and 60 for 35 and picking up Malachi Flynn at 35 and Xavier Tillman at 39.

Not going to happen, for a bunch of reasons, but it would be very cool.

60 has zero value. Maybe you can get a few hundred grand for it, but it has no trade up value. But what you can do is start cashing in future 2nds. Looking back at past drafts, 42 and one of the Cavs 2nds in future years can get you into the mid 30s

Yeah that's fair.

60 has zero value. Maybe you can get a few hundred grand for it, but it has no trade up value. But what you can do is start cashing in future 2nds. Looking back at past drafts, 42 and one of the Cavs 2nds in future years can get you into the mid 30s
    60 just seems like the place to take a flyer on a stash player if you cannot unload it for anything of value.

More likely you take a stash guy who never comes over a guy who you sign to a 2 way

Wow. We have so many young players and future assets. It's kind of hard to wrap your brain around.

The Erie Bayhawks are going to be absolutely stunning for years to come.

And the irony of there being no summer league when we could field the most elite summer league team to ever summer league. They should just freaking crown us.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 10-25-2020 at 01:49 AM.

Any confirmed prospects we have interviewed?
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Man I really like Patrick Williams, he shoots the 3 well enough to play small forward and looks great defensively and can also really run and has great size. He also has the size And defense and strength to play PF when we run Zion at Center and just run people out of the gym. My list goes Vassel, Williams, Nesmith.

If we took Williams does anyone think Ingram could play SG and defends shooting guards or he should stay at small forward

I tend to ignore the Eastern Conference. So I've been having to do some studying up on SVG. Never really paid attention to him, before. It seems like he prefers to run an inside-out offense where the bigs get a lot of touches and pass out to perimeter players. He'll usually have a PG type, the bigs, and then surrounds them with wing style players that can hit 3s. He likes a fast up tempo offense with quick transitions. So yeah, I think BI could easily slot in as his SG but he's also got the length to sometimes be the big man inside. This is where having both Jrue and Lonzo gets interesting. It sounds like SVG would prefer to just have one of those guys on the court at a time. It will be interesting to see if he adjusts to fit the players or if the players work on 3s this offseason. Lonzo was getting there. Just needs to be more consistent.

SVG loved the pick n roll in Det. This is another area that may be the writing on the wall for Lonzo. BI or Jrue with Zion on an SVG PnR would be deadly.

I think BI would so well defensively against bigger SGs but small fast ones would give him issues. That's where Jrue and Ball are an advantage, though, with how versatile they are on D.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 10-26-2020 at 01:32 AM.

Ingram can't play SG or ''the big man'' with any sort of regularity. More often than not in this league, your position is who you defend. Ingram is, in that sense, a positionless player because he's far too physically weak to defend the sort of guys that his height/length would imply, but he has too much trouble navigating screens and maintaining balance (due to his high hips) to consistently guard smaller players on the perimeter. His defense is at its best when he's playing passing lanes and not being tasked with too much on ball. Maybe this will change with time, but as of today that's where he is.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Man I really like Patrick Williams, he shoots the 3 well enough to play small forward and looks great defensively and can also really run and has great size. He also has the size And defense and strength to play PF when we run Zion at Center and just run people out of the gym. My list goes Vassel, Williams, Nesmith.

If we took Williams does anyone think Ingram could play SG and defends shooting guards or he should stay at small forward
    So, lets look at specific teams. Could Ingram guard Jamal Murray? No chance. But Ball could and then Ingram could be on Monte Morris if say those were the two guards on the court. Ingram lays off Morris and if Morris wants to shoot 25 footers, thats fine. The Lakers -- sure Ingram can be on KCP. Play the Clippers and Ball can be on George, Williams on Kawhi and then you hide Ingram on Beverly

Point is..... if you get a good big wing defender and keep Lonzo, then all you do is hide Ingram on the worst perimeter offensive player. I cant think of very many teams who have great perimeter scorers at all 3. And more importantly, you have length off ball to clog passing lanes and get out on shooters.. This is why a healthy Jonathan Issac would be my #1 young guy target for the Pels.

So, lets look at specific teams. Could Ingram guard Jamal Murray? No chance. But Ball could and then Ingram could be on Monte Morris if say those were the two guards on the court. Ingram lays off Morris and if Morris wants to shoot 25 footers, thats fine. The Lakers -- sure Ingram can be on KCP. Play the Clippers and Ball can be on George, Williams on Kawhi and then you hide Ingram on Beverly

Point is..... if you get a good big wing defender and keep Lonzo, then all you do is hide Ingram on the worst perimeter offensive player. I cant think of very many teams who have great perimeter scorers at all 3. And more importantly, you have length off ball to clog passing lanes and get out on shooters.. This is why a healthy Jonathan Issac would be my #1 young guy target for the Pels.

A healthy Isaac is probably the best, young, two-way wing in the league outside of Tatum. Would he even be attainable given he's clearly Orlando's best young talent?

It's all kinda moot anyway
    Last edited by AusPel; 10-26-2020 at 10:56 AM.

I can dig it

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    A healthy Isaac is probably the best, young, two-way wing in the league outside of Tatum. Would he even be attainable given he's clearly Orlando's best young talent?

It's all kinda moot anyway
    Mac’s notion is to gather assets and pounce when Issac eventually wants to leave for greener pastures. If our team is rightly assembled with Zion and Ingram as franchise lynchpins we can float the best trade and still be good enough to title contend. And he can preach all the sermons he wants. I’ll even play organ for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Mac’s notion is to gather assets and pounce when Issac eventually wants to leave for greener pastures. If our team is rightly assembled with Zion and Ingram as franchise lynchpins we can float the best trade and still be good enough to title contend. And he can preach all the sermons he wants. I’ll even play organ for him.
    Isaac is horribly injury prone though sadly

08/02/2020 Acl
    01/01/2020 Knee
    12/18/2019 Hamstring/Back
    11/15/2019 Right Ankle
    04/09/2019 Concussion
    11/02/2018 Right Ankle Sprain
    04/02/2018 Sore Left Ankle
    03/21/2018 Strained Left Foot
    12/27/2017 Sore Ankle
    12/20/2017 Ankle
    11/12/2017 Sore Ankle

Will miss all this season with the ACL

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Isaac is horribly injury prone though sadly

08/02/2020 Acl
    01/01/2020 Knee
    12/18/2019 Hamstring/Back
    11/15/2019 Right Ankle
    04/09/2019 Concussion
    11/02/2018 Right Ankle Sprain
    04/02/2018 Sore Left Ankle
    03/21/2018 Strained Left Foot
    12/27/2017 Sore Ankle
    12/20/2017 Ankle
    11/12/2017 Sore Ankle

Will miss all this season with the ACL
    I also said in my post HEALTHY Issac.

I am giving the type of player. But yes, this last injury is a bridge too far

I also said in my post HEALTHY Issac.

I am giving the type of player. But yes, this last injury is a bridge too far
    I know you did, which I why I ended my post about hypothetically trading for Isaac as it being a moot point

Was pointing out to Eman above how bad his injury history was to temper his enthusiasm
    Last edited by AusPel; 10-26-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Thread Information