Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coaching Options- Who's out there?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Someone that knows the game that players can relate too. One name that sticks out that David Griffin has connections too, one name that would have fan interest.

Steve Nash
    Nash would be a great offensive hire not sure how the defense would look under him

Btw this team biggest issues are on defense there a top 10 offense

Bottom 5 defense

Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post
    Nash would be a great offensive hire not sure how the defense would look under him

Bottom 5 defense

Another name this time the college ranks.

Chris Beard Texas Tech HC

Of course that would require Gayle to open her purse a little.

Hall of Famer
    Another name this time the college ranks.

Chris Beard Texas Tech HC

Of course that would require Gayle to open her purse a little.
    Yeah I like beard . Would be a big loss for tech

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speakthetruth View Post

Bottom 5 defense
    Why do people keep doing this? How many coaches have excellent offense and defense? Do people really think a ton of coaches handle both duties to a large extent? Or that they should?

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Why do people keep doing this? How many coaches have excellent offense and defense? Do people really think a ton of coaches handle both duties to a large extent? Or that they should?
    Why are you defending Gentry when other teams have fired him for this garbage? Dead last in all categories. The worst defense in the NBA ever!

Yeah, this is largely true.

Though I do want to highlight something about Steve Nash: he wasn't actually that bad a defender.

I know, I know, but let me explain.

Nash was small, not particularly strong, and not a great physical defender. I admit that. There's no question about it, in fact. But his defensive problems were largely physical: as a defensive mind he was actually pretty solid. He had fast feet, which helped, but he was always quick to recognise sets and react to them. He hedged screens early and frequently, doubled teamed well on help, rotated well and reliably, and was actually very willing and eager to take charges.

According to Ben Taylor's tracking metrics, Nash forced 1.2 turnovers per 100 possessions with help and positioning (as opposed to just raw steals, for example) which is actually fairly solid. His positioning was also good.

Now, does this translate into good defensive coaching? I have no idea. But since he's never been a head coach before in the NBA, we can't actually guarantee he'd be a great offensive coach either, we're just assuming based on his on-court play. And going just by on-court performance, Nash was actually a decent defender, just one who was massively limited by being small, not particularly lengthy, and not particularly strong.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Yeah, this is largely true.

Though I do want to highlight something about Steve Nash: he wasn't actually that bad a defender.

I know, I know, but let me explain.

Nash was small, not particularly strong, and not a great physical defender. I admit that. There's no question about it, in fact. But his defensive problems were largely physical: as a defensive mind he was actually pretty solid. He had fast feet, which helped, but he was always quick to recognise sets and react to them. He hedged screens early and frequently, doubled teamed well on help, rotated well and reliably, and was actually very willing and eager to take charges.

According to Ben Taylor's tracking metrics, Nash forced 1.2 turnovers per 100 possessions with help and positioning (as opposed to just raw steals, for example) which is actually fairly solid. His positioning was also good.

Now, does this translate into good defensive coaching? I have no idea. But since he's never been a head coach before in the NBA, we can't actually guarantee he'd be a great offensive coach either, we're just assuming based on his on-court play. And going just by on-court performance, Nash was actually a decent defender, just one who was massively limited by being small, not particularly lengthy, and not particularly strong.
    The Phoenix Suns were one of my favorite teams to watch in Nash's prime. Steve Nash is one of my favorite players of all time. But to say he was anywhere near decent on defense is a blatant lie lol. That team would literally give up points just to get the ball back and run. "Fast feet, rotated well" no sir.

I sat right behind the bench last night. No one was paying attention to Gentry except Kenny Hustle who likes to clap whenever that short white asst coach claps. The players do seem very over him just reading their body language. I saw Zo and Zion laughing and making jokes in the middle of the 2nd quarter during a timeout where Gentry had the guys huddled and was drawing up a play. Zo wasn’t going back in the game but did later. Is this normal? I didn’t play organized basketball so I really don’t know.

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmNathan View Post
    I sat right behind the bench last night. No one was paying attention to Gentry except Kenny Hustle who likes to clap whenever that short white asst coach claps. The players do seem very over him just reading their body language. I saw Zo and Zion laughing and making jokes in the middle of the 2nd quarter during a timeout where Gentry had the guys huddled and was drawing up a play. Zo wasn’t going back in the game but did later. Is this normal? I didn’t play organized basketball so I really don’t know.

Agree. I was at game last night too. The players were looking at the video board during timeouts. Completely tuning Gentry out. Jrue Holiday had that “trade me” look the entire game. Fans booing, leaving at halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    The Phoenix Suns were one of my favorite teams to watch in Nash's prime. Steve Nash is one of my favorite players of all time. But to say he was anywhere near decent on defense is a blatant lie lol. That team would literally give up points just to get the ball back and run. "Fast feet, rotated well" no sir.
    I'm sorry, I'm willing to seriously engage a lot of people on almost any point of view. I've been known for it. I will literally debate almost anyone, almost any time.

But if we're reaching the ''Steve Nash didn't have quick feet'' portion of the test, I'm bowing out. Sorry, but there are certain perspectives which are just beyond absurdity. I'm not going to seriously entertain for a single moment that prime Nash wasn't at least quick footed.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Why are you defending Gentry when other teams have fired him for this garbage? Dead last in all categories. The worst defense in the NBA ever!
    I’m not defending him. I don’t care one iota about Gentry. I’m defending this unrealistic expectation that only he is responsible. Unless he’s meddling like I sometimes suspect Sean Payton did in the past, there’s a lot more blame to go around.

Fire Gentry today and any turnaround wouldn’t be because Gentry lacks knowledge. He’s just pretty useless as a manager.

Someone that knows the game that players can relate too. One name that sticks out that David Griffin has connections too, one name that would have fan interest.

Steve Nash
    I think he would go over like Jeff Hornaceck did as a coach. Sure, he was a great player, but can he coach as well as he played?
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I’m not defending him. I don’t care one iota about Gentry. I’m defending this unrealistic expectation that only he is responsible. Unless he’s meddling like I sometimes suspect Sean Payton did in the past, there’s a lot more blame to go around.

Fire Gentry today and any turnaround wouldn’t be because Gentry lacks knowledge. He’s just pretty useless as a manager.

So accept mediocrity? I don’t think the Phoenix Suns are doing that and they are younger!

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    I'd take Swin Cash at this point.
    Based on?

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Alvin is a career loser. He is a nice guy, so move him into an office job.

The dude has been coaching for long enough to get a full sample size here. Look at these win percentages:

1 seasons NBA MIA 36 15 21 .417
    3 seasons NBA DET 145 73 72 .503
    3 seasons NBA LAC 222 89 133 .401
    5 seasons NBA PHO 302 158 144 .523
    5 seasons NBA NOP 337 147 190 .436

The guy is a below average coach. Why people keep hiring him I have no idea. Unless Griff is wanting to stealth tank again, just............WHY?

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Based on?
    I think his point is that Gentry needs to be replaced.... and Cash rhymes with Nash... nothing more and nothing less...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    I have a question about a coach other than Gentry.... the Jeff Bzdelik hire seemed to go over well with just everybody I know of.... what do y'all think is happening here?

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I have a question about a coach other than Gentry.... the Jeff Bzdelik hire seemed to go over well with just everybody I know of.... what do y'all think is happening here?
    It's a notoriously complex system that we only had a few weeks to implement while also assimilating 9 new players, most of whom are insanely young. Honestly this shouldn't be unexpected. If we hit mid-season and there hasn't been much improvement, then I think hitting the panic button may be warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    It's a notoriously complex system that we only had a few weeks to implement while also assimilating 9 new players, most of whom are insanely young. Honestly this shouldn't be unexpected. If we hit mid-season and there hasn't been much improvement, then I think hitting the panic button may be warranted.
    Partially this, but also defense is one of those things which is massively determined by chemistry and team trust. Having such weird rotations and lineups, where guys are barely getting time to play together before getting yanked again, not to mention several guys also missing games due to injury.

You're totally right that it's a notoriously complex system that takes a lot of work, but all of those extra things have made it even harder.

And that's before we even get to the fact that some of the guys have been going at less than 100% on defense through this early portion of the year.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Partially this, but also defense is one of those things which is massively determined by chemistry and team trust. Having such weird rotations and lineups, where guys are barely getting time to play together before getting yanked again, not to mention several guys also missing games due to injury.

You're totally right that it's a notoriously complex system that takes a lot of work, but all of those extra things have made it even harder.

And that's before we even get to the fact that some of the guys have been going at less than 100% on defense through this early portion of the year.
    It’s insane that they are going on 10 games into the season and still don’t know who is going to be in the rotation. They should already have an established group of starters and backups, but they are still “experimenting”. It’s literally impossible to know what people are going to do on defense at that point. You are definitely right about it making things harder.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    It’s insane that they are going on 10 games into the season and still don’t know who is going to be in the rotation. They should already have an established group of starters and backups, but they are still “experimenting”. It’s literally impossible to know what people are going to do on defense at that point. You are definitely right about it making things harder.

who are the 8 or 9 guys you would play?..

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Jrue, Frank, NAW, Hayes, JJ, Kenny, Favors, Hart, BI

Substitute Zo for either Frank or NAW when he’s healthy. I’m really enjoying Frank this year. He hasn’t been great but he isn’t as passive. He is clearly showing growth.

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Jrue, Frank, NAW, Hayes, JJ, Kenny, Favors, Hart, BI

Substitute Zo for either Frank or NAW when he’s healthy. I’m really enjoying Frank this year. He hasn’t been great but he isn’t as passive. He is clearly showing growth.
    so you are starting jrue,,frank,,ingram,,Kenny,,favors?.....naw,,jj,,h art,,hayes as backups?....with that lineup I guess you are down for riding this season out as a loss lol.....its still early in the season to just give up already...

I just don't understand how our depth is a problem instead of being our strength.....we score points so maybe if we simplify our defense down so everyone can be on the same page then we may be able to communicate better and play better defense....or maybe playing slow is the answer with this group of players....

as of right now,,im down for trading lonzo for payton to run the team so jrue can be comfortable and get back to being selfish on offense...payton had the offense running right last season...…

I do wish we can trade for adams to play center and pair him next to zion….

Down by single digit
    Only 26 3 attempts
    Our bigs played 62 minutes

Who has body snatched Gentry!?

Thread Information