Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 24th November - New Orleans Pelicans @ Los Angeles Clippers - 6-10

Pelicans 24th November - New Orleans Pelicans @ Los Angeles Clippers - 6-10

Fought back at the end of last game, but the undeniable awfulness of the start meant that it wasn't enough, and we add another L to the column.

Tonight we attempt to make a decent showing on the second night of a rough back to back against the 11-5 LA Clippers, who now have both Paul George and Kawhi Leonard back. Last time we played them, we managed a win behind a huge 36pt, 6stl performance from Jrue Holiday that included 5 steals in the fourth quarter alone, including at least 3 on Paul George.

Here's the injury report:

Pretty much the same as last game then.

I'm not going to go into too much detail for this one: we all know what needs to be done. If we want to win, which we should, we need to come out and put the defensive pressure on early, communicate as a team, move the ball, and pressure the weak spots on the opposing team. What are those weak spots? Simple.

Clips are 29th in fouls, 26th in turnovers, and 21st in assists. They're 2nd in overall rebounds. They're top 10 in defensive and offensive rating, so it's not a case of just exploiting them entirely on one of the floor, you have to be more specific than that and target things: forcing turnovers should be a priority here, which makes it a good thing that we have Jrue Holiday, league leader in deflections. A strong defense can help punish a team with low assist/passing numbers, which means if we can play good communicative defense, we should be able to create a fair amount of events on that side that benefit us.

If we do that, and do our thing on offense, a win is actually achievable here. That said, if we don't win that's perfectly expected too: all I wanna see tonight is effort and hustle. You lose to a great team with great players, that happens, but don't embarrass yourself doing it.

Let's go out there and go for the win. #WBD
    Basketball.

I just want to see a consistentish effort tonight. Last game was a bogey for me and the same is true for tonight. This is a difficult road trip.

Agreed. I fully expect the Clips to take the crown, this season.

So I'm just going in wanting to see some good individual growth and fun basketball. Not saying we don't have a chance. I think if we played them in a series with Kawhi back we can steal a game or two. Just managing my emotions.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Clippers are also 14th in effective fg % and 20th in 3 point fg %.

So not allowing a Clipper layup line would help. Too bad no Favors.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Clippers are also 14th in effective fg % and 20th in 3 point fg %.

So not allowing a Clipper layup line would help. Too bad no Favors.
    I didn't bring up their FG% numbers because they've only had PG back for a short while and Kawhi's missed multiple games, so I don't think their season-long numbers reflect the team we're actually going to be playing.

Over their last 5 games (since PG has returned), they've averaged 40.5% from 3, which would lead the league if it had been over the whole season, and their efg% has been 56.1%, which would be first in the NBA as well. So those overall numbers, while true, don't reflect how they've been playing recently at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I didn't bring up their FG% numbers because they've only had PG back for a short while and Kawhi's missed multiple games, so I don't think their season-long numbers reflect the team we're actually going to be playing.

Over their last 5 games (since PG has returned), they've averaged 40.5% from 3, which would lead the league if it had been over the whole season, and their efg% has been 56.1%, which would be first in the NBA as well. So those overall numbers, while true, don't reflect how they've been playing recently at all.
    But those games include games where Leonard didnt play. And he hasnt been shooting well at all (44% fg, 30% 3 pt fg).

So you're going to need to do these splits (last 5 games, last 3 games, games when XX didnt play, games when XX did play, etc.) for the Pelicans also if you really want to go down that road.

But those games include games where Leonard didnt play. And he hasnt been shooting well at all (44% fg, 30% 3 pt fg).

So you're going to need to do these splits (last 5 games, last 3 games, games when XX didnt play, games when XX did play, etc.) for the Pelicans also if you really want to go down that road.
    Sure, but you'll notice that I didn't bring up any of our categories either for exactly that reason (unreliability given the mass injuries we've had).

I left both out, because they're both not reliable atm. I did the same thing in the last Clippers game, where I didn't talk about their shooting percentages because it was PGs first game back and there was no Kawhi, which obviously totally skewed the stats. I don't think it's fair to base a game-thread analysis on trends that absolutely do not represent the team we're going to play, unless I'm putting huge caveats in.

Fought back at the end of last game, but the undeniable awfulness of the start meant that it wasn't enough, and we add another L to the column.

Tonight we attempt to make a decent showing on the second night of a rough back to back against the 11-5 LA Clippers, who now have both Paul George and Kawhi Leonard back. Last time we played them, we managed a win behind a huge 36pt, 6stl performance from Jrue Holiday that included 5 steals in the fourth quarter alone, including at least 3 on Paul George.

Here's the injury report:

Pretty much the same as last game then.

I'm not going to go into too much detail for this one: we all know what needs to be done. If we want to win, which we should, we need to come out and put the defensive pressure on early, communicate as a team, move the ball, and pressure the weak spots on the opposing team. What are those weak spots? Simple.

Clips are 29th in fouls, 26th in turnovers, and 21st in assists. They're 2nd in overall rebounds. They're top 10 in defensive and offensive rating, so it's not a case of just exploiting them entirely on one of the floor, you have to be more specific than that and target things: forcing turnovers should be a priority here, which makes it a good thing that we have Jrue Holiday, league leader in deflections. A strong defense can help punish a team with low assist/passing numbers, which means if we can play good communicative defense, we should be able to create a fair amount of events on that side that benefit us.

If we do that, and do our thing on offense, a win is actually achievable here. That said, if we don't win that's perfectly expected too: all I wanna see tonight is effort and hustle. You lose to a great team with great players, that happens, but don't embarrass yourself doing it.

Let's go out there and go for the win. #WBD
    29th in fouls and 26th in turnovers, does that mean they are at the best or worst end for those stats? Negative category rankings always confuse me

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    29th in fouls and 26th in turnovers, does that mean they are at the best or worst end for those stats? Negative category rankings always confuse me
    That's fair, it can be a little confusing.

Worst: 29th in fouls = 2nd most fouls in the NBA (24 per game)
    26th in TOVs = 17.3 TOVs a game, tied with Memphis for 4th most in the NBA

Where is Guardian Angel?

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

So I'm just going in wanting to see some good individual growth and fun basketball. Not saying we don't have a chance. I think if we played them in a series with Kawhi back we can steal a game or two. Just managing my emotions.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Where is Guardian Angel?

Haha I’m here! Just got back from the Saints game!

Remember how Lonzo came back and we basically haven't seen NAW since?

Looking forward to Okafor returning and taking all of Jax's minutes. I don't want that to happen but I feel it will.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Agreed!
    Are you two crazy?

We absolutely must win every game! If not we should fire Gentry and bring back Minty. Tomorrow. Or at least next Friday...

Remember how Lonzo came back and we basically haven't seen NAW since?

Looking forward to Okafor returning and taking all of Jax's minutes. I don't want that to happen but I feel it will.
    Possibly he will take Melli's minutes at center. Or he replaces Jax and Jax takes the rest of the center minutes. Melli should only play stretch 4.

Sure, but you'll notice that I didn't bring up any of our categories either for exactly that reason (unreliability given the mass injuries we've had).

I left both out, because they're both not reliable atm. I did the same thing in the last Clippers game, where I didn't talk about their shooting percentages because it was PGs first game back and there was no Kawhi, which obviously totally skewed the stats. I don't think it's fair to base a game-thread analysis on trends that absolutely do not represent the team we're going to play, unless I'm putting huge caveats in.
    But a last 5 game split for the Clippers cant be compared to other teams entire season. Other teams have had injuries, different scheduling, and nobody sustains that kind of shooting over longer samples.

I just ran their numbers and their last 5 games 3 pt % comes out to 39.3%, which compared to everybody's last 5 games, is good for 8th (Pelicans are 7th).

Take out that Atlanta game where they went crazy (17/33 with no bad shooting Kahwi), and it drops to 37%, which is 18th (compared to everybody's last 4 games).

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    Are you two crazy?

We absolutely must win every game! If not we should fire Gentry and bring back Minty. Tomorrow. Or at least next Friday...
    Who said we won’t win the game? Would be great to win every game but that is the most unrealistic expectation ever. Funny people forget the entire stadium booing Monty along with the he same thing going on here in the message board. We just beat Monty lol

Possibly he will take Melli's minutes at center. Or he replaces Jax and Jax takes the rest of the center minutes. Melli should only play stretch 4.

Yea Okafor should be a huge positive coming back to where we actually have more then 2 bigs healthy. Melli should rarely ever be playing C
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-24-2019 at 07:01 PM.

But a last 5 game split for the Clippers cant be compared to other teams entire season. Other teams have had injuries, different scheduling, and nobody sustains that kind of shooting over longer samples.

I just ran their numbers and their last 5 games 3 pt % comes out to 39.3%, which compared to everybody's last 5 games, is good for 8th (Pelicans are 7th).

Take out that Atlanta game where they went crazy (17/33 with no bad shooting Kahwi), and it drops to 37%, which is 18th (compared to everybody's last 4 games).
    Thankful for people like you who do the research and spit out the facts!

''I left both out, because they're not reliable atm''.

You're the one who brought up their season stats in those categories. I pointed out that I left those stats out specifically because they're small sample and not reliable. The actual 'representative' numbers we would want if we were trying to make assessments of those stats would be the PG+Kawhi numbers, which don't exist on any reasonable sample size. So I left them off. Not really sure what your problem is here.

You can't bring up every stat, Dae. It's all good. You give the angles you see as pertinent. Luckyman just has a different take on what he sees as the keys to the game. You do an amazing write up for every game. I think you both have valid views on what could be our focus.

Are you two crazy?
    Yes.

You can't bring up every stat, Dae.
    I mean, I could Would make the posts longer than they already are tho

Starting lineup remains the same

Okafor makes his return. He should be getting backup C minutes imo. Unless there's crazy foul trouble or something, Jax should be priority #1 over Okafor.

Our bench unit is actually pretty nice. Lol

Man. When Hart, Favors, and Zion are back.......we really are so freaking deep.

Love someone saying ''what's the tallest guy on their team, the 6'11, 6'12 guy? then that's it'' when describing why Montrezl will apparently ''have his way'' with us.

Firstly, 6'12 doesn't exist. Secondly, Okafor's back.

I mean, I know Okafor isn't exactly a vaunted rim protector, but when you're using height as a substitute for interior defense, forgetting the existence of a 6'10 guy is kinda silly.

Thread Information