Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: November 4th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Brooklyn Nets - 1-5

Pelicans November 4th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Brooklyn Nets - 1-5

After yet another depressing loss, the Pelicans are now 1-5: good for the worst record in the Western Conference, tied with the Warriors. And since their 1 win came against us, they have the tiebreaker, so we're the 15th seed right now.

Sorry that you all had to hear that.

On a positive note, we found out that Ingram isn't seriously injured and he may even play in this game, which would be good. The fewer guys we can have out, the better.

Tonight we take on the Brooklyn Nets. They're currently 2-4, so I suppose the good news is that they're not dominating everyone, so we at least have a glimmer of a chance. I'm not going to go into too much detail with regards to the Nets, so here's some relevant stats:

Offensive rating: 108.6 (11th in the NBA)
    Defensive rating: 109.3 (20th)
    Pace: 105.6 (8th)
    Rebounds /game: 50.7 (3rd)
    Assists /game: 23.2 (15th)

So I guess the troubling stat there is rebounds. We've been getting thoroughly outrebounded regularly. Without Zion and Favors, we're down probably 15+ rebounds a night, and although we've been getting some big performances from certain individuals (Hart's two 15 rebound games spring to mind) that's not the same as continuous, reliable team rebounding.

The way to win this match seems to me to be fairly open: their leading scorer is Kyrie Irving, who is averaging 30.5 points per game. We have multiple high level defensive guards. Please can we use them, this time? If he can be held under his averages (30.5 points, 7.5 assists) then we improve our chances greatly. Aside from that, it's just hoping for Jrue to bounce back offensively, and for the team to start playing defense more reliably.

Unfortunately, the issue for our defense isn't on the perimeter as much as it is on the inside. Without Favors and Zion, and with Hayes still learning the ropes, we don't really have good rim protectors. Okafor is okay at it, he's big, but he has slow feet even with his improved conditioning, and even if Ingram plays, he's at his defensive best when he's using his length to crowd passing lanes and swarm smaller guys, not when he's being asked to try and stop Jarrett Allen and DeAndre Jordan from catching oops.

Let's just hope the team can go out there and do their best, and remember that the Pelicans #WBD.
    Basketball.

Pelicans have been getting outrebounded thoroughly and regularly? They have been losing the battle but have only gotten truly toasted against the Warriors.

They seemed to have gotten better last game.
    Last edited by luckyman; 11-04-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Pelicans have been getting outrebounded thoroughly and regularly? They have been losing the battle but have only gotten truly toasted against the Warriors.

They seemed to have gotten better last game.
    Yeah, you're right, the Warriors are the only team that's legitimately just murdered us on the glass, but I was really just trying to say that our current normal state of being is Outrebounded. Totally accept that my phrasing makes it sound like we've lost that battle by 15 every night, which isn't the best implication cause it's not true.

And you're also right that last game seemed better: it was the only game so far this season where we have won the rebounding stat.

I'm.not saying Jrue is guaranteed to have a great game tonight. I'm just saying it's not out of the question

Yep. It's more that the Nets are good rebounders. That WILL be an issue. And frustrating to watch.

Is there still a small chance Favors is back? He was questionable last I saw.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Yep. It's more that the Nets are good rebounders. That WILL be an issue. And frustrating to watch.

Is there still a small chance Favors is back? He was questionable last I saw.
    I haven't seen anything to imply he would be back. This is the last injury report that got put out:

To me, that seems to imply he won't play (if it was listed as probable, I'd change my mind), but hey, what do I know? Maybe he does

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I was thinking of going to this game, but ya boy's short on money, so I'll settle for watching this from my couch.

Let's get off this snide.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Prediction: When Zion is cleared to start basketball action sooner than the 6-8 weeks, hot takery will be that we’re rushing him back.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Prediction: When Zion is cleared to start basketball action sooner than the 6-8 weeks, hot takery will be that we’re rushing him back.
    Of course! He weighs too much, he looks out of shape, he’s not as athletic, etc.... we are used to this as a fan base.

I don't know if we do rush him back.

The team seems hell bent on not playing "win now" type strategies and instead is playing everyone and trying different lineups. It strikes me very much as a "we're totally fine losing some games making sure we build a solid foundation for the future". With that take, I think they heavily restrict him when he does return. And I'm cool with that.

I don't know if we do rush him back.

The team seems hell bent on not playing "win now" type strategies and instead is playing everyone and trying different lineups. It strikes me very much as a "we're totally fine losing some games making sure we build a solid foundation for the future".
    I think you are right. The fan in me wants them to win now, but I am trying to see the bigger picture.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    We won’t. But if our staff concludes that Zion is no more in threat of reaggravating it than after however many weeks, I fully doubt we subscribe to the notion that he can’t play until he loses x pounds.

Zion has a tremendous support system around him. Jahlil and Jrue should take him in for offseason workouts. Seems to have done wonders for Frank.

We won’t. But if our staff concludes that Zion is no more in threat of reaggravating it than after however many weeks, I fully doubt we subscribe to the notion that he can’t play until he loses x pounds.
    Totally agree. If the med staff clears him to go, I'll just buy their verdict. They're the ones with the experience, training, and requisite closeness to him to make the judgement, not me.

"Derrick Favors (knee) is a game-time call for Monday vs. Brooklyn."

https://www.rotoworld.com/basketball...derrick-favors

Ooooh. Gotcha. I missed that. Yeah. I think you're right.

Lol. And we shouldn't let BI play til dat baw gets him some meat on dem bones, him.

Let's go. I wanna get some wins before come home Friday Vs. Raptors.

Super excited. Nets have a bad habit of playing down to competition and Kyrie hero ball.

Ooooh. Gotcha. I missed that. Yeah. I think you're right.

Lol. And we shouldn't let BI play til dat baw gets him some meat on dem bones, him.
    That'll be around 2024, at this rate

Ingram ranked 3rd in the NBA in jump shot % with 48% rights ahead of Kawhi 4th with 47%.. The kid is elite in this area making it a great shot. If you don’t have players who can go iso you have no shot at winning an NBA Championship.. You need good ball movement and guys who can flat out go score by themselves.

Gentry also said that the Pels play positionless basketball. He feels that the thought of a 1-5 is not the modern NBA and that it’s most important to put the best five players on the court and make it work that way. So, now we know why he plays all guards at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    Gentry also said that the Pels play positionless basketball. He feels that the thought of a 1-5 is not the modern NBA and that it’s most important to put the best five players on the court and make it work that way. So, now we know why he plays all guards at some point.
    I mean, he's right to an extent.

I just feel like when people talk about positionless basketball, they're referring to lineups filled with guys who are versatile enough to switch between multiple positions and still be able to stand up to whichever matchup they may get. You know, like Jrue is, when he's playing at his best: healthy, locked in Jrue can play and guard 1-3, and even some less physical 4s, without the team suffering from it.

THey aren't usually referring to playing JJ Redick as a 3. But idk, maybe I just completely misunderstand how most people use that term.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I mean, he's right to an extent.

I just feel like when people talk about positionless basketball, they're referring to lineups filled with guys who are versatile enough to switch between multiple positions and still be able to stand up to whichever matchup they may get. You know, like Jrue is, when he's playing at his best: healthy, locked in Jrue can play and guard 1-3, and even some less physical 4s, without the team suffering from it.

THey aren't usually referring to playing JJ Redick as a 3. But idk, maybe I just completely misunderstand how most people use that term.
    Exactly! How about Hart guarding Galo in crunch time. That was unbelievable! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

I love that starting unit. I also like Favors with the second unit for rebounding.

Thread Information