Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jrue is the reason the team is struggling

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Though I understand the temptation to use PER to measure efficiency (it has the word ''efficiency'' right there in it ), I don't think that's actually a good idea. PER is more of a measure of production; that's why someone like Westbrook can go out there and secure a PER of 25+ while shooting significantly below league average TS%. It's cause it's measuring his production in terms of box score stats, more than anything else.

If you look at Jrue's specific efficiencies, what you find is that his TS% generally sits at, or a little above, league average. Last year it was 55%, which is dead on average, and the year before it was 57%, which is a little above. This year it's at 45.5% so far: so it's extremely unlikely that this will continue.

Since TS% is derived from all shots taken, including FTs, Jrue's declining 3pt abilities has contributed to his average TS numbers. If you look at Jrue's shooting exclusively at the rim, you find that his numbers are actually pretty great every year. Jrue finished shots at the rim at 66%, and at 67% the year before that, which is pretty good. That's top tier for a guard: you only really bust the 70% threshold when you're a big putting back dunks almost exclusively. Hell, even this yeah, Jrue's shooting 66% at the rim.

So what's the problem? The answer is shot distribution. Last season, Jrue took 32% of his shots directly at the rim, within 3 feet of the basket. This year, so far, that number is down to barely 20%. Meanwhile, the percentage of shots he's taking from that awkward area just outside of the restricted area, from 3-10 feet, has soared from 19% last year, to 34.5% so far this year. And he's shooting 25% from there right now, instead of last year's 44%. Last year, Jrue shot 47.5% from the 11-16 feet range, so far this year he's hit 0%.

All of these drops are highly unusual, and extremely drastic. Jrue is usually much more efficient from these areas. It's close to unbelievable to think he will continue being this bad from those areas, areas where he is usually extremely effective. He's taking far fewer shots at the rim than normal, and he's just not been able to finish anything from outside of the restricted area.

For me, these look like the kind of issues that will clear up once Jrue gets into a rhythm, and is given some degree of consistency with rotations: so far, he's played with only one 5-man lineup for more than 20 minutes total. He's had at least 5 minutes with 10 different 5 man line-ups, in only 4 games played. He's going to struggle until Gentry gives them some consistency and his role evens out, at which point he'll have some breakout game where he scores 30 on ridiculous efficiency, and then go back to normal.
    Whilst that whole last bit is true (and I’ll admit that Jrue is often hard done at the line), I wouldn’t say he had been particularly top tier in any category offensively apart from his finishing at the rim (not that you argued he was). If we see a vast improvement from Jrue within the next five games and he maintains some consistency- great. That’s all I ask for. He really could use a personal motivator or something.

The reason Jrue's shot distribution is so bad is because no one guards Lonzo at the 3pt line. Like at all. So Jrue drives into packed paints consistently. This isn't shocking, I've been saying it. Lonzo / Jrue backcourt doesn't pair good.... At all offensively. You need a sharpshooter paired with Lonzo and Jrue simply isn't that. On the other end Lonzo hasn't driven to the basket with any consistency and teams would much prefer him take that crazy step back 3pt shot off the dribble then let him drive so Lonzo does it.

That doesn't excuse Jrue at all however. He's supposed to be the leader of this team and has been garbage. Some of Jrue's game will improve once Zion comes back and starts commanding more attention but so far this season as has failed to do the job we need him to.

My personal feeling is of course obvious but I don't see how long term the Jrue and Lonzo pairing will ever work offensively and so I think we should move on from one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    If anyone needs a definition of recency bias, it's pretty much this thread.

If you'd asked anyone two weeks before the season started if they wanted to trade Jrue, there wouldn't have been that many who said yes. Give him a bad first two weeks to the season, and people are in the depths of depression over him.

I'm as judgemental as anyone, but if I'm willing to give it until Christmas before I start making legit calls on Ingram, Ball, and Hart, you guys should be willing to give Jrue a little more patience than this: especially since Jrue actually has a history of elite, all-league play to fall back on as proof of his abilities.
    Concur

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The reason Jrue's shot distribution is so bad is because no one guards Lonzo at the 3pt line. Like at all. So Jrue drives into packed paints consistently. This isn't shocking, I've been saying it. Lonzo / Jrue backcourt doesn't pair good.... At all offensively. You need a sharpshooter paired with Lonzo and Jrue simply isn't that. On the other end Lonzo hasn't driven to the basket with any consistency and teams would much prefer him take that crazy step back 3pt shot off the dribble then let him drive so Lonzo does it.

That doesn't excuse Jrue at all however. He's supposed to be the leader of this team and has been garbage. Some of Jrue's game will improve once Zion comes back and starts commanding more attention but so far this season as has failed to do the job we need him to.

My personal feeling is of course obvious but I don't see how long term the Jrue and Lonzo pairing will ever work offensively and so I think we should move on from one of them.
    This can't be it. Lonzo has made teams pay and teams adjust quickly enough. He is shooting 38% from distance and so is JJ Redick, who's been in the starting lineup most of this young season. Then add in BI who's been red hot from distance, spacing has not been an issue.

Jrue just doesn't attack with speed, hasn't been making the right reads, and has just been playing poorly.

It's nobody's fault but his own.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    This can't be it. Lonzo has made teams pay and teams adjust quickly enough. He is shooting 38% from distance and so is JJ Redick, who's been in the starting lineup most of this young season. Then add in BI who's been red hot from distance, spacing has not been an issue.

Jrue just doesn't attack with speed, hasn't been making the right reads, and has just been playing poorly.

It's nobody's fault but his own.
    Lonzo shooting 38% through 6 games is irrelevant to how he's guarded. No teams care about him yet as a 3pt threat. They would 100% rather him jacking 3s than let the offense operate. Just watch the games and see how much "respect" teams are giving Lonzo's shot.

Also as I stated in the post you quoted, that doesn't excuse Jrue at all. That's A factor but Jrue has to be better on offense even if the situation isn't ideal for him. He's making 25m/yr. There's a baseline level he should be expected to perform at and he simply hasn't been close.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 11-04-2019 at 03:28 PM.

We have lost 3 games so far because of abysmal free throw shooting and blown layups. Whatever else happened had we made just 6 of the 8 blown layups and hit just 4 or 5 more of the missed free throws we beat okc same for the first 2 games. The only legit loss was golden state. Everybody needs to play better defense and get more rebounds but free throws and layups are why we lost to Toronto, Houston and okc

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    We have lost 3 games so far because of abysmal free throw shooting and blown layups. Whatever else happened had we made just 6 of the 8 blown layups and hit just 4 or 5 more of the missed free throws we beat okc same for the first 2 games. The only legit loss was golden state. Everybody needs to play better defense and get more rebounds but free throws and layups are why we lost to Toronto, Houston and okc
    It would also help if they had stopped the other team as well.

Jrue needs to cash those game checks quick before some cops catch lock him up for theft.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Thread Information