Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jrue is the reason the team is struggling

Hall of Famer

Jrue is the reason the team is struggling

Were is jrue the all star at?

So far ingram has been better than anybody could expect

Hart is a solid player

Jrue is averaging 14 points on 37 percent from the field, this team needs more than that from a top 25 guy in the NBA. Right. Now they have enough to win, this isnt a talent issue this is jrue letting the team down issue.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    It’s coaching. Jrue is being used different than prior years and the rotations around him don’t provide much spacing so his rim attacks are Crowded

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupfan View Post
    It’s coaching. Jrue is being used different than prior years and the rotations around him don’t provide much spacing so his rim attacks are Crowded
    Can you tell me how he’s being used differently?

He isnt being used differently. The $26 million dollar man is playing like a 7th man right now. He got out played by Shai Gilgeaous Alexander.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Can you tell me how he’s being used differently?
    This is my opinion. His role on the court changes every time he is put into the lineup. When Zo is on the court, he is both on and off ball. When Zo is off, Jrue has the ball in his hands a lot. Let me rephrase what I said. The way he is being used is inconsistent. He seems to be struggling with timing the most right now. I feel that is a result of constantly switching roles. But, I agree that a 26 million dollar guard should be able to adjust and play at a high level.

Basketball Guru
    This is my opinion. His role on the court changes every time he is put into the lineup. When Zo is on the court, he is both on and off ball. When Zo is off, Jrue has the ball in his hands a lot. Let me rephrase what I said. The way he is being used is inconsistent. He seems to be struggling with timing the most right now. I feel that is a result of constantly switching roles. But, I agree that a 26 million dollar guard should be able to adjust and play at a high level.

this is some of what I see also...I think jrue game is off because he has to make decisions on court like getting players the ball in the right position to score...I think jrue is thinking to much on offense and its killing his game to where he cant be selfish and just get his.....

jrue already has said that him playing off ball and not worrying about setting players up was a good move for him....back then he had rondo,,boogie and payton handling those duties and all jrue had to do was be selfish and just go score points....now I think he is force back to take on those duties and its messing his offensive flow up.....

It’s 100 percent mentality with Jrue. When he is focused and decisive, he is a completely different player. He is one of the most Jekyll and Hyde guys in the NBA. You can’t really build your team around that. Even when stars have bad nights they tend to affect the game in some way. Jrue is one of those talented players that can really hurt your team when he is off it. He is off it very frequently

Well, I dont think anybody would cry if you can turn Jrue into Bradley Beal. Shouldnt cost too much either.

Jrue is the biggest reason of active players. I think if Zion was healthy even with bad Jrue play we'd have won more games. Or if Zion was here, everyone would look better including Jrue.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Well, I dont think anybody would cry if you can turn Jrue into Bradley Beal. Shouldnt cost too much either.
    Not me. Great defensive player but really not stopping teams from scoring 100 plus a night. I have about made my mind up that Griffin has been pumping up Jrue for a trade. I just don’t think he fits and he knows it. Prove me wrong Jrue because i cheer you on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have noticed this as well about Jrue. He has the skills, though not the speed, athleticism, or consistent aggression of someone like a Lillard or a Westbrook to consistently have a big impact in the game, at least on the offensive end. He seems kind of like the perfect 3rd scorer on a team, but even then, given NAW's ridiculous aggressiveness, he might not be that when NAW gains a little more experience.

To me, if I was coaching, I'd have him be more of a spot-up guy when Zo and BI are handing the ball (and after Zion gets back to draw attention, Jrue should be even more open), but should have his minutes staggered with BI so he can be more of a primary ball handler/creator in the half court when BI is out; there were some sparks of really good synergy between him and Favor's and if you guys haven't notice yet, Zo's strength at this stage is still in the full court and he tends to get stagnant in the half court when he doesn't have a full head of steam. Jrue is the more creative playmaker in the half court sets.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    That's what is disappointing. I don't care about this mythic MVP Jrue. We need leader on the team Jrue. We need a Jrue that isn't going to settle for 3s and impose his will.

He just doesn't have that in him.

If anyone needs a definition of recency bias, it's pretty much this thread.

If you'd asked anyone two weeks before the season started if they wanted to trade Jrue, there wouldn't have been that many who said yes. Give him a bad first two weeks to the season, and people are in the depths of depression over him.

I'm as judgemental as anyone, but if I'm willing to give it until Christmas before I start making legit calls on Ingram, Ball, and Hart, you guys should be willing to give Jrue a little more patience than this: especially since Jrue actually has a history of elite, all-league play to fall back on as proof of his abilities.
    Basketball.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

If you'd asked anyone two weeks before the season started if they wanted to trade Jrue, there wouldn't have been that many who said yes. Give him a bad first two weeks to the season, and people are in the depths of depression over him.

I'm as judgemental as anyone, but if I'm willing to give it until Christmas before I start making legit calls on Ingram, Ball, and Hart, you guys should be willing to give Jrue a little more patience than this: especially since Jrue actually has a history of elite, all-league play to fall back on as proof of his abilities.
    I normally agree and appreciate everything you say around here, but I would like to offer this for now....very few are suggesting we trade or give up on Jrue, but many of us feel that with the past "history" you referred to, we should be seeing a more successful and influential offensive Jrue than we have seen so far.... I don't think that is really expecting too much from someone with his skills... do you?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I normally agree and appreciate everything you say around here, but I would like to offer this for now....very few are suggesting we trade or give up on Jrue, but many of us feel that with the past "history" you referred to, we should be seeing a more successful and influential offensive Jrue than we have seen so far.... I don't think that is really expecting too much from someone with his skills... do you?
    I'm not going to argue Jrue's performance so far. I think he's been a better playmaker and defender so far than some people are willing to let on, but his scoring truly has been far below where he should be. He's capable of a lot better than this as a scorer. He's currently averaging 14 points a game on 36% from the floor which is just unacceptably low. We all know he's capable of 20ppg on 48% from the floor, and when he's so drastically below those numbers yeah, it's fair to criticise.

It would be absurd to pretend that Jrue's had a sparkling start to the year. But the fact that it's gone from ''wow, Jrue's really having a rough time of it right now, hopefully he can bounce back soon'' into ''we should be trading Jrue'' and ''he is the reason the team is struggling'' (not A reason, THE reason), is, I think, a sign that we're going off the deep end in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Jrue's past history shows exactly what we are seeing right now. When the pressure is on him to lead the charge with the ball mainly in his hands, he folds. This is not new. His careless turnovers, defensive lapses, and lack of aggressiveness get even worse.

As I had to argue on this very message board, it's the main reason he was moved off ball in the first place. This team shouldn't have to rely so much on a rookie (Zion) and a newcomer (BI) so much while he's here.

Yet, here we are.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

The desire some have to trade him is going way, way too far. But we do need more from him.

Jrue has never been particularly efficient in his career though. He had a couple years where he almost broke a 20 PER, but he has never really had a star level of offense as people say. The reason for that are his lapses, and he is bound to have many of those over the course of the season. It is what it is. I like the guy more personally than I like his overall game. I wouldn’t be opposed to him not being here. I just can’t be arsed about him

I don’t care about the efficiency or the struggles on offense. He’s not asserting himself as the guy. He’s averaging 14.5 FGs a game and that’s far too low for a number 1 option. That’s lower than 43 other players in the league. He took 17.5 shotsper game last year so there should have been an uptick on the attempts for him. I definitely expected him to take closer to 20fga a game this season but he’s been too gunshy.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    I don’t care about the efficiency or the struggles on offense. He’s not asserting himself as the guy. He’s averaging 14.5 FGs a game and that’s far too low for a number 1 option. That’s lower than 43 other players in the league. He took 17.5 shotsper game last year so there should have been an uptick on the attempts for him. I definitely expected him to take closer to 20fga a game this season but he’s been too gunshy.
    I just don’t think he is a number one option. Some nights he can be. Others you really wish he wasn’t

Jrue is trying to do too much. He’s trying to run point, be the lead scorer, be a shutdown defender and serve popcorn to fans all at once. He’s not playing with any flow nor is he allowing the game to come to him... he’s trying way too hard. He’s taking terrible shots because he’s forcing it.

Let Lonzo run point... play off him and just get into the flow and he’ll be ok.

you spelt Gentry wrong in this threads title

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The desire some have to trade him is going way, way too far. But we do need more from him.
    Yeah I agree with that. No arguments there.

Square Hole, meet round peg.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Jrue has never been particularly efficient in his career though. He had a couple years where he almost broke a 20 PER, but he has never really had a star level of offense as people say. The reason for that are his lapses, and he is bound to have many of those over the course of the season. It is what it is. I like the guy more personally than I like his overall game. I wouldn’t be opposed to him not being here. I just can’t be arsed about him
    Though I understand the temptation to use PER to measure efficiency (it has the word ''efficiency'' right there in it ), I don't think that's actually a good idea. PER is more of a measure of production; that's why someone like Westbrook can go out there and secure a PER of 25+ while shooting significantly below league average TS%. It's cause it's measuring his production in terms of box score stats, more than anything else.

If you look at Jrue's specific efficiencies, what you find is that his TS% generally sits at, or a little above, league average. Last year it was 55%, which is dead on average, and the year before it was 57%, which is a little above. This year it's at 45.5% so far: so it's extremely unlikely that this will continue.

Since TS% is derived from all shots taken, including FTs, Jrue's declining 3pt abilities has contributed to his average TS numbers. If you look at Jrue's shooting exclusively at the rim, you find that his numbers are actually pretty great every year. Jrue finished shots at the rim at 66%, and at 67% the year before that, which is pretty good. That's top tier for a guard: you only really bust the 70% threshold when you're a big putting back dunks almost exclusively. Hell, even this yeah, Jrue's shooting 66% at the rim.

So what's the problem? The answer is shot distribution. Last season, Jrue took 32% of his shots directly at the rim, within 3 feet of the basket. This year, so far, that number is down to barely 20%. Meanwhile, the percentage of shots he's taking from that awkward area just outside of the restricted area, from 3-10 feet, has soared from 19% last year, to 34.5% so far this year. And he's shooting 25% from there right now, instead of last year's 44%. Last year, Jrue shot 47.5% from the 11-16 feet range, so far this year he's hit 0%.

All of these drops are highly unusual, and extremely drastic. Jrue is usually much more efficient from these areas. It's close to unbelievable to think he will continue being this bad from those areas, areas where he is usually extremely effective. He's taking far fewer shots at the rim than normal, and he's just not been able to finish anything from outside of the restricted area.

For me, these look like the kind of issues that will clear up once Jrue gets into a rhythm, and is given some degree of consistency with rotations: so far, he's played with only one 5-man lineup for more than 20 minutes total. He's had at least 5 minutes with 10 different 5 man line-ups, in only 4 games played. He's going to struggle until Gentry gives them some consistency and his role evens out, at which point he'll have some breakout game where he scores 30 on ridiculous efficiency, and then go back to normal.

Thread Information