Pelicans Report

Thread: N/P Steph Curry our for 2+ months

N/P Steph Curry our for 2+ months

If the Warriors shot at making the playoffs wasn’t grim before yesterday, they certainly are grim now that one of the best shooters in NBA history is out for a couple of months. Steph has a broken hand, so it will take time to mend, and I don’t think Draymond and D’Lo can carry this Warriors team to 30 wins (let alone 50).

I do however think that the Warriors will take this year like the Spurs did in 97, and look to hit it big in the draft. If they can hit in the draft, and next year she Klay comes back they can be right back at the top of the Western Conference.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

https://www.pelicansreport.com/showt...s-are-terrible

In Monty we trust!(I’m talking about Monty making playoffs)

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    If the Warriors shot at making the playoffs wasn’t grim before yesterday, they certainly are grim now that one of the best shooters in NBA history is out for a couple of months. Steph has a broken hand, so it will take time to mend, and I don’t think Draymond and D’Lo can carry this Warriors team to 30 wins (let alone 50).

I do however think that the Warriors will take this year like the Spurs did in 97, and look to hit it big in the draft. If they can hit in the draft, and next year she Klay comes back they can be right back at the top of the Western Conference.
    I mostly agree, except there is no Tim Duncan calibre prospect in this draft.

Next year would be a different story... Cade...
    Basketball.

They’ll probably use the pick as trade bait to land a quality player to make one last run.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    They’ll probably use the pick as trade bait to land a quality player to make one last run.
    Jrue Holiday? Would you do it for another lottery pick? Could Griff. be selling Jrue as an all-star for a reason? Is Griff about to build us a monster?

Ugh they're tanking for a number 1 pick. Warriors reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Ugh they're tanking for a number 1 pick. Warriors reloading.
    Would you trade Holiday for that pick? Think Griff. Has something wild up his sleeve?

Yes I'd probably move Jrue for a pick that was guaranteed to be a lottery pick. It's not just about the pick but it also clears a good bit of cap space for us too. But Golden State is hardcapped so unless they trade Russell they can't acquiring any big player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Yes I'd probably move Jrue for a pick that was guaranteed to be a lottery pick. It's not just about the pick but it also clears a good bit of cap space for us too. But Golden State is hardcapped so unless they trade Russell they can't acquiring any big player.
    Why do we need to clear up cap space?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Why do we need to clear up cap space?
    Well because we are about to pay BI and if Jrue isn't in our future plans then trading him for a guaranteed lottery 1st and having cap space to make other moves, maybe bringing in players closer to our cores age, makes a lot of sense. He has 2 years left on his deal after this year and we are going to be cutting checks for Lonzo and Hart in 1 more season, Jackson and Kendrich will be getting paid.

And I also feel like some move needs to be made between Lonzo and Jrue. Maybe they decide to go with Jrue over Lonzo and that's fine with me too.

Look at how many teams don't have cap space this coming summer. There is value in having cap space to be able to make moves. Heck, we had cap space this past summer and were able to pick up Favors are a couple late 2nds because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Well because we are about to pay BI and if Jrue isn't in our future plans then trading him for a guaranteed lottery 1st and having cap space to make other moves, maybe bringing in players closer to our cores age, makes a lot of sense. He has 2 years left on his deal after this year and we are going to be cutting checks for Lonzo and Hart in 1 more season, Jackson and Kendrich will be getting paid.

And I also feel like some move needs to be made between Lonzo and Jrue. Maybe they decide to go with Jrue over Lonzo and that's fine with me too.

Look at how many teams don't have cap space this coming summer. There is value in having cap space to be able to make moves. Heck, we had cap space this past summer and were able to pick up Favors are a couple late 2nds because of it.
    So just to be clear, we don't need cap space, you just think it would be useful in case we decided to do something else and maybe it could be useful at some point, and possibly could make paying other people easier later maybe? Which is fine, but I wouldn't trade Jrue for it.

Edit: just gonna clarify why I wouldn't trade Jrue for it, cause my initial post sounded kinda snappy.

The way I see it is that Jrue can help this year, and next, whereas the Lonzo/Hart decision is one to be made later on. I wouldn't trade Jrue for a pick in this draft, even a high one, because it's not a particularly great draft (imo); lots of solid talent, but very few guys with legitimate star upside. If it's a 2021 pick, I'd be slightly easier to persuade because of the presence of CADE.

As for the usefulness of cap space, there isn't really anyone to sign this summer that I'd be interested in, and even if there were, we have Favors' contract expiring which is a pretty big chunk, then we have Miller's deal which is completely unguaranteed for the second year. So that's basically $25m instantly freed up if we want it, in terms of available cash for free agents or absorbing guys salary in trades.
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 11-02-2019 at 03:54 PM.

I don't think I ever said in my first post we "needed" cap space. It's also not just about cap space for this summer. Jrue will have 25-26m tied up on this team for 2 more years after this one. By the time his contract expires we'll have already paid Lonzo, Hart, Ingram, Jackson, Kendrich, and Okafor and we'll have had to make a decision about Favors too, which I'm guessing we will probably try to resign and keep since we don't have a ton on bigs.

Nor did I imply that was the only benefit to trading Jrue. Clearing cap space is nice because of the added flexibility but getting a lottery 1st for him as well as making a move on either Lonzo or Jrue for our starting backcourt is important too. Most of what I've said can apply to Lonzo too because one of those two I don't think will be here by the end of the trade deadline next season (2021).

Thread Information