Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: October 31st - New Orleans Pelicans VS Denver Nuggets - 0-4

Pelicans October 31st - New Orleans Pelicans VS Denver Nuggets - 0-4

Today is Halloween, and with any luck, it will also be the night that we finally end our horror-show opening to the year. So far, we are 0-4: some of those losses are expected, some of them not. Some of them were just normal losses for a young team that's struggling to find itself, others have been... painful.

But tonight we welcome the Denver Nuggets to the Smoothie King Centre in an attempt to finally get rid of our 0 and enter the W column.

The Nuggets are currently 3-1, and have the following statistics to show for themselves [Warning: small sample size applies]:

Offensive Rating: 12th
    Defensive Rating: 11th
    Rebounds/game: 16th (48.5)
    Assists/game: 25th (22)
    Steals/game: 20th (8.0)
    Blocks/game: 13th (5.5)
    Pace: 30th
    3pt shooting: 13th (36.2%)

Just for comparison, our current Offensive Rating ranks 6th in the entire NBA, and our defensive rating is 28th. So, a night and day different for us, compared to the Nuggets who are slightly above average in both categories, without having cracked the top 10 in either.

There is one major encouraging factor for us to consider: the Nuggets, of course, have Nikola Jokic as their primary distributor in the half-court, and he is incredible. He's the best 7 foot passer of all time, already. He is not, however, a massively agile and speedy centre, and as a result of running the offense through him they are not a massively quick team: we will have the pace advantage by a fair margin. Jokic isn't nearly as unfit as some people like to argue (remember that game last year where he played 50+ minutes and seemed fine still?) but he's no sprinter, and there will be times we can take advantage of that.

Similarly, running the offense primarily through a single guy has a large downside, in that there isn't as much dynamism as there could be. The Nuggets currently rank fairly low on the assists per game category, and outside of Jokic, they have nobody averaging more than 4 assists a night. That's something that can be exploited on defense, since offense will be primarily coming from a single motor.

This is a game that we can win, shockingly enough. However, it is far from a gimme: Denver are a very good team who are likely to finish top 4 in the West this year, and we're still hobbled in places. Jrue Holiday is expected to make his return tonight, although Favors is still listed as questionable, and we hope that Jrue will return in good form and have a good game to make up for his opening game woes.

That's all there really is to say. Let's go out there and fight for the W, and hope to get it. #WBD
    Basketball.

Time to turn that 0-4 to... 0-5.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    How dare u

The Nuggets suck, guys. It's Denver. Dan Dickau gonna mess Carmelo up.

Yeah. This could get bad We need a coping game to spice it up. Something like.....no using the letter D in this thread....or make all your posts have a french accent.
    Last edited by msusousaphone; 10-31-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

Yeah. This could get bad We need a coping game to spice it up. Something like.....no using the letter D in this thread....or make all your posts have a french accent.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post

We need to be more extreme than that. From this point on, you're only allowed to post in this thread if you do it entirely in French.

Our season so far

We’re healthy. We should win. Yes, im saying that with a straight face.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    How dare u
    Reverse jinx my friend

We need to be more extreme than that. From this point on, you're only allowed to post in this thread if you do it entirely in French.
    Let try the Far East languages they use symbols we wouldn't know what the world it's saying. We can visualize, make it what we want it to be.

We score well. If we get some semblance of Defense this team is gonna be scary. BI has been a joy to watch and HArt was the steal of this trade. WE just have to gel before we lose all confidence.

How dare u

via GIPHY

pels are winning this one baby leggo!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I'm glad zion isn't here for these jokes on tnt to exploit like how disrespectful do you have to be

I think our defense is going to have a good night

Languages are my weakness. My sister was a Russian linguist in the military and speaks six languages fluently.....I barely made it past Latin class directly translating from a dictionary.

Great start!

and they won't call another palming the entire game lol

hold up weren't ppl saying jrue is crap? lol and sure it's fair to say on offense but we should see now why he is important to us

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Jokic is going to slaughter our guy Hayes down low. Hayes will run circles around him on offense, but it's like he may score 18, but he'll give up 40.

Hayes has got to add some more strength and weight. This alone will have him fouling less

we all may have underestimated how good Jackson can be

Frank's smile when he started that drive was awesome.

i can't wait to hear about the nuggets when we win

Thread Information