Pelicans Report

Thread: Jaxson Hayes

Jaxson Hayes

As I predicted when we drafted him, barring injury, Jaxson Hayes will never see the court as the team is currently comprised. For the sake of his development, he has to go to Erie to get some PT. His upside is far too high for him to serve as the 13th or 14th player on the 'Big Team's' Roster. I would hate for him to waste away on the Pels Bench.
    Last edited by As I See It; 10-27-2019 at 01:17 PM.

We’re only 3 games into the season. Favors doesn’t exactly have a stronghold over Center and not lighting it up in production. Favors is barely being used on the court. It’s only a matter of time before Hayes sees a lot of playing time. He’s just not being rushed

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    We’re only 3 games into the season. Favors doesn’t exactly have a stronghold over Center and not lighting it up in production. Favors is barely being used on the court. It’s only a matter of time before Hayes sees a lot of playing time. He’s just not being rushed

if zion,,favors,,melli, okafor are healthy,,i dont believe hayes is going to see playing time.....if our record is bad after allstar break then maybe gentry will give him some run.....hayes need to go to the g-league to play and grow....

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    Need I remind you that it's only a matter of time before 28 - 35 minutes a night of 'Big Man Minutes' is going to be spent on ZW. If he can't find minutes now, with Williamson sidelined, he certainly won't them when # 1 returns (barring injury). Please note: this is not a knock on Hayes, it's just stating the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by As I See It View Post
    Need I remind you that it's only a matter of time before 28 - 35 minutes a night of 'Big Man Minutes' is going to be spent on ZW. If he can't find minutes now, with Williamson sidelined, he certainly won't them when # 1 returns (barring injury). Please note: this is not a knock on Hayes, it's just stating the obvious.
    My guess is that you are a young fan with little sense of history. Which is fine, but those of us who have been around a little longer know that growth for a young big will happen in practice. You can't see it, so it ie out of sight out of mind for you.

But almost two decades ago, a young big named Jermaine ONeil was on a loaded Portland team and he barely played his first few years. But he would later say those battles in practice made him the All Star he became.

Meanwhile, bugs do not develop in the G League. It is glorified pickup basketball. Maybe I would send a young point guard down there to get reps. But practicing against our bigs will be ten times more valuable to Hayes than getting minutes in that garbage league
    @mcnamara247

Well there's no knowing that they aren't planning on letting him play in the G League. The G League hasn't even started yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    My guess is that you are a young fan with little sense of history. Which is fine, but those of us who have been around a little longer know that growth for a young big will happen in practice. You can't see it, so it ie out of sight out of mind for you.

But almost two decades ago, a young big named Jermaine ONeil was on a loaded Portland team and he barely played his first few years. But he would later say those battles in practice made him the All Star he became.

Meanwhile, bugs do not develop in the G League. It is glorified pickup basketball. Maybe I would send a young point guard down there to get reps. But practicing against our bigs will be ten times more valuable to Hayes than getting minutes in that garbage league
    Your patronizing tone aside, Mike, I guarantee you that you are wrong about my age, but I'm flattered. There's a difference between Jermaine O'Neal (with an 'a') and Jaxson Hayes. One has played basketball since his youth (including AAU ball) and the other is relatively new to the sport with only two years of game experience. While JH's physical skills are apparent, his 'smarts' need to be developed. The man needs court time....not disrespect....court time.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Your patronizing tone aside, Mike, I guarantee you that you are wrong about my age, but I'm flattered. There's a difference between Jermaine O'Neal (with an 'a') and Jaxson Hayes. One has played basketball since his youth (including AAU ball) and the other is relatively new to the sport with only two years of game experience. While JH's physical skills are apparent, his 'smarts' need to be developed. The man needs court time....not disrespect....court time.
    Yeah, no. G-League won't do spit for him. David West said the biggest influence on his development as an All-Star was PJ Brown. And he wasn't ever more than a rotational big.

Hayes needs to be here. In film sessions. In drills getting worked over by Favors and Melli. That will mean more for his development. All he'd learn in G-League is bad habits he'd need to unlearn.

Well I think we need to understand the G-league will operate differently this year. Pelicans have their own G league team with their own coaches. Plus the players will have their own personal development coaches traveling with them.

So that dynamic is very different than it was in the past.

So even still, I don't think you'll see him there much at all. This is a redshirt year for him and thats a good thing. He's the future starting center for this team.

I wouldn’t be opposed to him getting some time in the GLeague. Hayes is someone who could use all the game time he can bet but that time will come here. I would much rather him going against Favors/Okafor/Zion everyday while continuing to be developed by our staff. There is to much of this thought that if a player doesn’t play right away and dominate at that he is trash or won’t amount to much. Yes I rather keep him here full time but people acting as if the GLeague being a bad thing for Hayes or players is foolish.

Yeah, dominating the G League all season will do nothing for him. Banging with a pro like Favors every day will. Plus, he learns how to be a pro on and off the court. What it takes. It might seem to stink for him, but it's probably a pretty good gig.
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

Agreed with basically everyone.

Sending him down to the G League won't be as useful as letting him get actual practice against NBA calibre bigs, with direct and immediate coaching from people who will eventually be his 'real' coaching staff, and learning that way.
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by WildlifeAirGrp View Post
    Yeah, dominating the G League all season will do nothing for him. Banging with a pro like Favors every day will. Plus, he learns how to be a pro on and off the court. What it takes. It might seem to stink for him, but it's probably a pretty good gig.
    Is there an option to practice with the Pels but play in the G League to get actual minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by AusPel View Post
    Is there an option to practice with the Pels but play in the G League to get actual minutes?
    Yeah. they will probably send him for 2 or 3 game stretches a couple times this year

So just to clarify something because I've seen this said multiple times before about how long Jason has played basketball...

He didn't just start playing basketball 2 years ago. He's played basketball his entire life. His mom was a college basketball star and was the one who taught him the game. Heck as a kid they made him take dance classes to build up his flexibility, coordination, and movements with the express idea that it would benefit him in sports.

The whole "only 2 years ago" thing came out because that was when he switched to focusing EXCLUSIVELY on basketball. The reason is he was an even better football player (can you imagine) but he outgrew the game. He still was on the team and played basketball throughout high school and I'm sure even younger too. He also played in AAU which is where he was discovered his senior year.

Bigs in general need more time to develop. Doubly so for someone who hit a late/massive growth spurt. There's no doubt that Hayes needs time to develop. However, we need to stop perpetuating this idea that he is somehow new to basketball. He's not. He had a similar experience to AD actually where he was discovered late after having a massive growth spurt but he's played the game his whole life.

I don’t know if NAW will ever take Frank’s minuets, but Hayes will take Favors and Jah’s.

Book it!
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I don’t know if NAW will ever take Frank’s minuets, but Hayes will take Favors and Jah’s.

Book it!
    He's got to learn a lot of nuance to the game to fully take Favors minutes. But he definitely should come off the bench as much as Jah, if not a little more. Too much talent.

If Favors is playing hurt, I don’t see why you don’t give those mins to Hayes, it’s not like we are trying to win, we’re just trying to be entertaining (apparently).

Start this man now

Both are valuable. Hanging out with the pros, getting coaching from the main club will be big factors in Hayes development. But there's no substitute for game experience, even at a lower level. If the Pels are happy with their coaching staff in the developmental league, if it's teaching concepts and using systems consistent with what the big club does, then some time down there could be valuable to Hayes, who is a relative new comer to the game. Learning to perform the techniques you hone in practice in front of a crowd, announcers, cameras, etc... with wins and losses on the line is a a part of getting ready to play in the NBA. If Hayes gets minutes with the team, all the better. If not, I'd give him some run in the minors. I know when I was a kid I could make 20 FTs in row just shooting at practice. Getting used to doing it in a game was a different matter...

I was very impressed with Jaxon Hayes last night, however he looked completely lost on many defensive possessions. I know thats just youth and inexperience but it has to be addressed. We lost last night because we couldn't defend.

We lose every night because we can’t defend.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    He was lost at first but seemed to settle in. His body needs bulk, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him a regular contributor sooner than later.

Thread Information