Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Morant is for real, Video inside

Morant is for real, Video inside

WOW! These highlights take you for a ride!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's why during the draft lottery I would've been equally hyped with either player at 1 or 2.

He had a meniscus tear...and no one is concerned about his long term prognosis. But whatever. Something something too heavy.

He'll be fun to watch for years to come and a tough division rival for the whole while.

Morant was the number 2 pick in this draft for a reason.

He was clearly several steps below Zion as a prospect, and still is.

He was clearly a step above almost everyone else in the draft.

Obviously development is development, and if Morant hits his 100th percentile outcome and nobody else in this draft comes even close to their 90th, he could walk away the best player in from this year's draft. Obviously that's unlikely.

If everyone in this draft class becomes the absolute best version of themselves, Morant will still be in the top 5 of those people. So yeah, he's good. He's not some guaranteed superstar, and I don't think he has ''top 5 player in the league'' upside, but he can be a very good starting calibre PG and very probably a handful-of-times allstar.
    Basketball.

Last edited by 13 - 3; 11-14-2019 at 12:10 AM.

It’s all a little depressing at the moment. I watch Memphis, Cleveland, Phoenix and other supposed bottom dwellers play and they all seem better than us. Hopping around the NBA app, I can’t think of one team that we clearly look better than. Maybe the Knicks or Magic. Maybe.

Be honest, watching the Grizzlies make those plays to win down the stretch or watching the Suns battle the Lakers to the end, can you even imagine the Pels playing with that kind of execution on intensity at crunch time? Can you imagine Jrue—our league MVP in waiting—carrying the team like Morant did? I haven’t seen that Jrue since the Portland series. It’s getting to where I expect us to lose. And it seems like the team is getting there as well...

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    It’s all a little depressing at the moment. I watch Memphis, Cleveland, Phoenix and other supposed bottom dwellers play and they all seem better than us. Hopping around the NBA app, I can’t think of one team that we clearly look better than. Maybe the Knicks or Magic. Maybe.

Be honest, watching the Grizzlies make those plays to win down the stretch or watching the Suns battle the Lakers to the end, can you even imagine the Pels playing with that kind of execution on intensity at crunch time? Can you imagine Jrue—our league MVP in waiting—carrying the team like Morant did? I haven’t seen that Jrue since the Portland series. It’s getting to where I expect us to lose. And it seems like the team is getting there as well...

Yeah I mean I’m dreading this too.

Willie count the Green Fedupfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post

This made me nauseous. We have to sit here and watch a division rival grow as our team sits in the cellar. I know, we aren’t supposed to win this year. Blah blah blah!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Zion will be better. Who cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Zion will be better. Who cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    We hope so!
    As long as he stays on the park he has top 20 all time talent

He will easily end up better than AD

The most interesting thing about Morant that bodes well for him long term is his willingness to take contact.

He was a relatively poor finisher at the rim in college, and that's largely because he shyed away from contact and tried to finesse more than he needed to, which took away from his bigger athletic advantage which is his two foot leap.

At some point in the summer, he apparently just decided that he doesn't mind getting hammered in the paint. And that's what he's accepting now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    The most interesting thing about Morant that bodes well for him long term is his willingness to take contact.

He was a relatively poor finisher at the rim in college, and that's largely because he shyed away from contact and tried to finesse more than he needed to, which took away from his bigger athletic advantage which is his two foot leap.

At some point in the summer, he apparently just decided that he doesn't mind getting hammered in the paint. And that's what he's accepting now.
    Imagine if Lonzo did this

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post

Jrue totally lacks the agression of Morant, so it won't be him carrying the team in any great capacity. I still believe he is a FANTASTIC third option behind Zion and BI though. And NAW is hyper aggressive, maybe in a year or two he can approach what Morant is already doing?

This kid simply has balls to play witch nobody else has these days. And it's beautiful to watch what a huge difference that makes.

Jrue is not supposed to be our killer/executioner. AD was. That's why we always got onto him. The finisher will be Zion, BI, or NAW.....maybe even JJ. Jrue's role is team leader of a very unexperienced, developing, and sadly injured team.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

LOOK AT WHAT YOU JERKFACES DID TO JA!!!!

Ok. This settles it, though. Someone on this site has bad joojoo. They are the cause of our injuries. Now my theory is that it was one of the people in this thread. They admired Ja.....now this.

Burn some sage and some frankincense. Get a lucky rabbit's foot. Find a four leaf clover. Seek the eternal love of our savior Kanye. Do whatever must be done to break this curse!

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    LOOK AT WHAT YOU JERKFACES DID TO JA!!!!

Ok. This settles it, though. Someone on this site has bad joojoo. They are the cause of our injuries. Now my theory is that it was one of the people in this thread. They admired Ja.....now this.

Burn some sage and some frankincense. Get a lucky rabbit's foot. Find a four leaf clover. Seek the eternal love of our savior Kanye. Do whatever must be done to break this curse!
    Morant was ok and returned to game

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/g...nto-cameraman/

Carry on

Last edited by 13 - 3; 11-26-2019 at 12:35 AM.

@IllegalScreens on twitter was doing some talking earlier about Ja related to this, lemme find it

There we go. @IllegalScreens has a master's degree in athletics training btw so he's not just some random dude giving an uninformed opinion. It's still just an opinion, but it's one from someone who at least vaguely knows what they're talking about

Well.....he is a division rival. So keep watching cursed people. Lol

I'm still saging myself.

@IllegalScreens on twitter was doing some talking earlier about Ja related to this, lemme find it

There we go. @IllegalScreens has a master's degree in athletics training btw so he's not just some random dude giving an uninformed opinion. It's still just an opinion, but it's one from someone who at least vaguely knows what they're talking about
    That's a ridiculous opinion based on this particular fall. How in the world could landing mechanics have absolutely anything whatsoever to do with falling on a camera? He might need to work on his balance to prevent unnecessary falls but in this instance its a silly take. The only thing that will help his ability to absorb contact without falling will be to add size and strength. Non of that matters though when you land on a camera!

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    How in the world could landing mechanics have absolutely anything whatsoever to do with falling
    No idea, seems like an absolute mystery to me. Whether or not you go sprawling has nothing to do with your landing mechanics, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by msusousaphone View Post
    Well.....he is a division rival. So keep watching cursed people. Lol

I'm still saging myself.
    Oh don’t worry we will be watching him for years to come. Memphis got themselves a good player. I don’t wish pain on him.

Landing mechanics are a big reason why Derrick Rose lost most of his prime, this is an extremely important topic that most fans (and even players) are unaware of. I haven't watched enough of Ja to compare him to Rose, and he doesn't seem as explosive as Rose, but there are DEFINITELY running techniques and landing techniques that more young players coming into the league should be made aware of that will extend the longevity of your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal4Pels View Post
    Landing mechanics are a big reason why Derrick Rose lost most of his prime, this is an extremely important topic that most fans (and even players) are unaware of. I haven't watched enough of Ja to compare him to Rose, and he doesn't seem as explosive as Rose, but there are DEFINITELY running techniques and landing techniques that more young players coming into the league should be made aware of that will extend the longevity of your knees.
    Absolutely. Landing mechanics are extremely important and a lot of players have bad ones.

The gold standard for landing mechanics among bigger guys is LeBron, who has spent the last 17 years soaring for dunks, blocks, and rebounds, and has landed dangerously about 30 times total : hihi:

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    How in the world could landing mechanics have absolutely anything whatsoever to do with falling on a camera?
    You cut off the end of that sentence in your quote. The bolded words above are important.

Absolutely. Landing mechanics are extremely important and a lot of players have bad ones.

The gold standard for landing mechanics among bigger guys is LeBron, who has spent the last 17 years soaring for dunks, blocks, and rebounds, and has landed dangerously about 30 times total : hihi:
    Landing mechanics are important. Landing mechanics do not have anything to do with landing on a camera after falling while taking contact.

Your example of Lebron is a great one. He is able to do what he does because he's huge! He has enough mass to absorb contact without being sent flying like Ja. There is no amount of functional training a person can do to overcome simple physics when two people make contact in mid air. The smaller person will generally be sent flying. Go back and look at Zion in college, he just blows people out of the way. Its a mass issue more than anything.

Rose is also a little guy by NBA standards. Smaller/lightweight players that are super athletic and attack the rim with reckless abandon will likely be more prone to injury.

Thread Information