Pelicans Report

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: October 28th - New Orleans Pelicans VS Golden State Warriors - 0-3

I think the argument against Lonzo is that: We didn't want him to sacrifice his driving to improve his shooting. We wanted him to improve his shooting to compliment his driving ability.

In his previous two seasons he averaged around 30% of his shot attempts within 3ft of the goal and nearly 40% of his shot attempts within 10ft of the goal.

This season he is averaging 17% of his shot within 10ft of the goal. That is a HUGE drop off and goes away from what was one of the stronger points of his game. Combine that with the fact that he has nearly doubled the amount of shots he is taking from 16-3pt and it's a worrisome trend. Lonzo should not be a jump shooter no matter how good he becomes shooting the ball, yet so far this season 83% of his shots have been jump shots. For this season he has not made a single shot between 3ft and the 3pt line. He's literally shooting 0% from 3+ to 3pt line.

Lonzo has potential but we need him to drive to the basket. He's not Ray Allen and needs to stop trying to be.

The kid needs a floater. He can get into the lane consistently but rarely gets into the paint. A floater would really open things up for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I think the argument against Lonzo is that: We didn't want him to sacrifice his driving to improve his shooting. We wanted him to improve his shooting to compliment his driving ability.

In his previous two seasons he averaged around 30% of his shot attempts within 3ft of the goal and nearly 40% of his shot attempts within 10ft of the goal.

This season he is averaging 17% of his shot within 10ft of the goal. That is a HUGE drop off and goes away from what was one of the stronger points of his game. Combine that with the fact that he has nearly doubled the amount of shots he is taking from 16-3pt and it's a worrisome trend. Lonzo should not be a jump shooter no matter how good he becomes shooting the ball, yet so far this season 83% of his shots have been jump shots. For this season he has not made a single shot between 3ft and the 3pt line. He's literally shooting 0% from 3+ to 3pt line.

Lonzo has potential but we need him to drive to the basket. He's not Ray Allen and needs to stop trying to be.
    You're completely right. I'll repeat what I said earlier:

Lonzo so far this season has taken more than three times as many shots from 25+ feet than within 10 feet.

No matter what you think of him as a shooter, that's a problem.
    Basketball.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    You're completely right. I'll repeat what I said earlier:

Lonzo so far this season has taken more than three times as many shots from 25+ feet than within 10 feet.

No matter what you think of him as a shooter, that's a problem.
    Lonzo won’t need to drive to the basket too much when Zion and Jrue are back. Especially Zion. They will respect Ball’s 3 point shooting and this will give Zion even more space to destroy opponents. The focus of improving his shot was much more important. He will need to get better at attacking the basket but being able to stretch out defenses by having a reliable shot is really valuable. I think Zion will be primary ball handler at times and will run some PNR with Zo and Hayes etc. gonna be hard to stop if Zion has enough ball control to do it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Ball keeps shooting 3s the way he’s been launching them, his Average will drop to the low 30s percentage real quick. Teams are already starting to show the lack of respect for his shot. He is undisciplined when it comes to launching them. Reminds me of his rookie year when the Lakers played the Pelicans. We dared him to shoot over and over again and he continues to launch it. He really needs some self control.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Lonzo won’t need to drive to the basket too much when Zion and Jrue are back. Especially Zion. They will respect Ball’s 3 point shooting and this will give Zion even more space to destroy opponents. The focus of improving his shot was much more important. He will need to get better at attacking the basket but being able to stretch out defenses by having a reliable shot is really valuable. I think Zion will be primary ball handler at times and will run some PNR with Zo and Hayes etc. gonna be hard to stop if Zion has enough ball control to do it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I mean that's just silly. We shouldn't want any player to be one dimensional no matter who is on our team. That just makes them easier to guard. In the case of Lonzo it's going to take a season or more of actually making the 3s before he gets anything near respect on it. For this season and anytime in the future when his shot isn't falling he's going to need to be able to drive. Otherwise why not just run an even better shooter next to Zion and Jrue if that's how we are going to use Lonzo?

This is one of the reasons I've been saying something has to give with our starting lineup. You can't run 3 non shooters and two semi to good shooters in your starting lineup. Now there's still plenty of time for Lonzo to develop and he's shown good improvent in some areas so there's hope but once we get healthy how do you not pair Hart and Jrue as starters next to Zion, Ingram, and Favors? Lonzo fits so much better coming off the bench with that unit but I don't think he'd ever accept that role and it'd just create tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    For this season and anytime in the future when his shot isn't falling he's going to need to be able to drive. Otherwise why not just run an even better shooter next to Zion and Jrue if that's how we are going to use Lonzo?.

20+ years of pain ragincaucasian's Avatar
    Jaxson Hayes should be seeing starting minutes every night. If this year is going to be a mulligan then throw him in there every night and let him handle it.

What do we have to lose?

Minty has the Suns up 43-14 in the first quarter @ the Warriors.

Take from that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Minty has the Suns up 43-14 in the first quarter @ the Warriors.

Take from that what you will.
    I love the way that, by some weird mechanism, this forum has become the easiest and most convenient way of keeping up with what the Suns are doing.

Thread Information