Pelicans Report

Thread: Does Gentry need to slow down his offense?

Pelicans Does Gentry need to slow down his offense?

Looking at the older and bigger players they are hurt and the younger players we see what giving them the green light for threes does to them. Should the team slow the pace down and let the game come them or should they continue in this out of control, low return in wins brand of ball? Just asking.

Right now they are just running up there and chucking threes. I really don't see an offense.

I'm more concerned with our defense than our offense.

What defense? It exist? Lol

IMO, we need to run when the opportunity presents itself. It feels like Gentry is obsessed with proving that the past successes of Golden State and Phoenix was due to his "genius" and not Kerr or D'Antoni. The truth is it was because of Nash, Marion, Durant, Thompson, Curry etc. He is just not a great coach. Good guy, but not the offensive guru he is held out to be.
    I'm looking for real sports fans...not sheep! Are you with me?!!!

What do we criticize Gentry for? Game management, substitutions and adaptability. Those are all very important aspects to coaching, and Gentry fails with all 3. Anyone that blindly runs their philosophy and doesn’t have a plan B isn’t a good coach. Anyone that wants pace for the sake of pace is not a good coach. It’s a farce. Same old story.

When 3 of your 4 best players are out with knee injuries in the first week of the season, I think its acceptable to question the pace. I obviously trust Aaron Nelson, but was he really here long enough to test whether these players are in the proper shape to run at such an extreme pace? Most of the players did not even work out here in the offseason. That's not really a question that anyone on this board would know, but I think its at least somewhat worrisome at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    What do we criticize Gentry for? Game management, substitutions and adaptability. Those are all very important aspects to coaching, and Gentry fails with all 3. Anyone that blindly runs their philosophy and doesn’t have a plan B isn’t a good coach. Anyone that wants pace for the sake of pace is not a good coach. It’s a farce. Same old story.
    Can you give an example of a coach with great game management, substitutions and adaptability? And provide examples of how they use are great at it. I'm trying to see something.

Please do not use Pop.

You didn’t see all the in game adjustments Carlisle made against the Pelicans on both offense and defense last Friday? You should have seen it first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Can you give an example of a coach with great game management, substitutions and adaptability? And provide examples of how they use are great at it. I'm trying to see something.

Please do not use Pop.
    Feel that argument is redundant.

The big question is finding a better coach than Gentry on the market. I feel that is where things get difficult and really difficult to find a good coach. It's why I'm okay with Gentry for the time being, because there are much worse coaches than him that couldn't draw up a play to save their life.

I also like the keep Gentry around the organization. He's a great basketball mind and great people person. He just not head coach material in the long run. His brand of basketball needs the elite to function in winning fashion.

Please do not use Pop.
    Nick Nurse

Eric Spoelstra
    Last edited by Pelicanidae; 10-30-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    Basketball.

Please do not use Pop.
    What are you trying to say buddy? We just witnessed Carlisle pants us at home by making a simple adjustment. We always tend to overhelp on defense. So what does Carlisle do? He gets his team moving the ball, draws the double team and Dallas get free cuts to the basket repetitively. Lay up. Every time. Why? Because we tend to overhelp.

After that first quarter, Dallas tries to force us into the half court and outside of the paint. Ingram is the only player that can consistently drive and create for himself, so we need ball movement to create open looks. How does Gentry adjust to a stacked Dallas paint? 3 ball city. Iso ball. Ball movement stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Feel that argument is redundant.

The big question is finding a better coach than Gentry on the market. I feel that is where things get difficult and really difficult to find a good coach. It's why I'm okay with Gentry for the time being, because there are much worse coaches than him that couldn't draw up a play to save their life.

I also like the keep Gentry around the organization. He's a great basketball mind and great people person. He just not head coach material in the long run. His brand of basketball needs the elite to function in winning fashion.
    It’s redundant but it’s all valid criticism. His philosophy is rigid. His lineups are poor. His substitutions are bad. I’m not going to be delusional like Mr. Houston here and pretend he is without massive flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    It’s redundant but it’s all valid criticism. His philosophy is rigid. His lineups are poor. His substitutions are bad. I’m not going to be delusional like Mr. Houston here and pretend he is without massive flaws.
    I been saying that for years. I just grown to be apathetic over it. It wouldn't be the first time he started 0-4...or 0-8.

Look at how we lose the last 3 games and look at the coaches on the other side. He's getting outcoached plain and simple by superior coaches.

Gentry is just a glorified OC. Griffin kept him on a one year extension. So, I'm not too worked up about personally. I just dislike that Gentry isn't the best at developing young talent is my biggest concern at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    I been saying that for years. I just grown to be apathetic over it. It wouldn't be the first time he started 0-4...or 0-8.

Look at how we lose the last 3 games and look at the coaches on the other side. He's getting outcoached plain and simple by superior coaches.

Gentry is just a glorified OC. Griffin kept him on a one year extension. So, I'm not too worked up about personally. I just dislike that Gentry isn't the best at developing young talent is my biggest concern at the moment.
    I actually don’t mind him being here one bit for one year. We win if we suck and we win if we’re good. Either the Pelicans get a better draft pick or a playoff seed. But after this season, if he is extended, I can with confidence that we won’t achieve anything. He was badly out coached by two great coaches in Nurse and Carlisle in games we should have won. He couldn’t take advantage of an imploding James Harden. He was slaughtered by a Warriors side bereft of healthy/available talent. But don’t worry. Gentry will win when it doesn’t matter.

Thread Information