Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: October 26th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Houston Rockets - 0-2

Pelicans October 26th - New Orleans Pelicans @ Houston Rockets - 0-2

After losing another winnable game (this time due to mass inaccuracy, particularly from Jrue but also NAW and Lonzo), we hit the roa again, this time to take on the Houston Rockets.

Despite their formidable star duo of Harden and Westbrook, the Rockets have looked very mediocre so far, dropping their only game. This is despite big box score stats from both of the main guys.

In their only game, against the Bucks, Harden shot 15.4% from the floor (yes, worse than Jrue last game, if anyone can believe it!) including 12.5% from 3. Westbrook, meanwhile, shot quite well, over 40% from 3, but still poor overall at 41% from the floor. The two of them combined for 10 turnovers and 8 fouls, an a combined +/- of -3.

Eric Gordon didn't help much, since he also went 21.1% from the floor, including 25% from 3.

So clearly, this team is not undefeatable, and the Harden/Westbrook combination is not destined to run roughshod over everyone. They can be stopped. Luckily, we do have a pair of very good defensive guards: the question is going to be can they show up consistently, and can they make their own shots against the poor defense of Harden/Westbrook to compensate? If Jrue can really click tonight, this could be beautiful. If he doesn't, it could be frustrating to new heights

There's a lot to watch in this game, and a lot to watch out for. I hope for a win, althought second night of the back to back is always hard. Even if we don't win, I just want to see a little progress, some grit, and some fight. Maybe a slightly chopped rotation too

Let's go and get it! #WBD
    Basketball.

This is going to be a blowout win or a blowout loss. I can’t see this being a close game either way.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    I think we'll compete, but ultimately lose.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I feel like the team is playing very well considering we are transitioning from having AD for nearly 7 years. Losing a top 5 player is not easy. We are seeing a lot of promise in our new squad.

I want to see better defense and rebounding. I also want our players to get at least 25 FT attempts. I also want to see more pick and roll with Favors. We need to give Favors 25mpg and give him the ball early and often.

Also, is Jaxson Hayes going to get any minutes??? Give the kid 3 minutes on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This game will come down to free throw attempts. We won’t stop Harden and Westbrook from getting to the line, but this game won’t be close if we can’t come close to matching their attempts.

Ingram will have another 20+ point game. Frank Jackson’s production will continue to increase this game if he gets more minutes. Jrue has to step up and play like the star player he’s suppose to be on the team. If Jrue plays horrible for the third game in the row, then Ingram, Jackson, and Redick will all have to carry the load. Hopefully Gentry can give them the greenlight to when they’re hot, instead of decreasing the minutes of the players that’s actually producing in favor of showcasing Jrue all game

Ingram, Jackson, Redick, Hart, and Ball are the players who all need to be showcased and given the greenlight right now on offense. Jrue and NAW both been too ice cold to keep letting them control the offensive flow. Ride the consistent hot hand until the cold shooters show improvement and work themselves back in.

That nasty landing Jrue took last game?

Yeah, he's out.

Like another poster mentioned, more pick & rolls for Jrue and Favors. I haven’t seen that many pick & roll plays with the two, especially hardly any at all last game vs Dallas. That allows Jrue to get open and hit his shots, and draw double teams to be able to throw it in the paint for Favors

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post

Yeah, he's out.

Hopefully it’s nothing serious, but at least Jrue injury will allow cohesion on offense and give all of the hot hands their minutes and attempts

So this game’s lineup and rotation we’re looking at:

Favors
    Ingram
    Hart
    Redick
    Ball

with Jackson, Melli, NAW, Williams, and Okafor off the bench, I like it. This game can show who needs to be featured going forward. Maybe the Jrue injury needed to happen so Jackson, Hart, and Redick can play more, and for Jrue to shake off his cold play. We may be better off primarily with that rotation until Zion gets back if they remain consistent
    Last edited by SonOfNOLA; 10-26-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    Hopefully it’s nothing serious, but at least Jrue injury will allow cohesion on offense and give all of the hot hands their minutes and attempts
    It probably won't be anything serious. Could miss two or three games but nothing huge.

I'm not sure if it will allow cohesion on offense (Jrue's by far our best driver still, and Lonzo can't reliably run a PnR since he doesn't drive) but what it will do is allow big minutes to more guys. Hopefully getting the chance to play everyone again in this situation will let Gentry get some of his ''must play 12 guys'' urge out of his system and actually pick the guys he's going to run with.

Yeah, he's out.
    I knew it. The minute that happened..."oh he aint playing tomorrow"

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I knew it. The minute that happened..."oh he aint playing tomorrow"
    Yeah, I can't remember who it was on commentary but someone said that when he got up he gave that ''this isn't too bad now, but it'll hurt tomorrow' face

Andrew Lopez on twitter saying that it's not reported to be a serious injury, won't hold him out weeks. It's just a day-to-day thing.

It probably won't be anything serious. Could miss two or three games but nothing huge.

I'm not sure if it will allow cohesion on offense (Jrue's by far our best driver still, and Lonzo can't reliably run a PnR since he doesn't drive) but what it will do is allow big minutes to more guys. Hopefully getting the chance to play everyone again in this situation will let Gentry get some of his ''must play 12 guys'' urge out of his system and actually pick the guys he's going to run with.
    More cohesion in outside shooting from long range at least. It was hard to watch Jrue continue taking deep range shots knowing he’ll miss. I think the players that’s about to get big minutes this game will light it up. I’m interested in seeing what played not named Favors will drive the lane and attack the rim more so we can keep up with Houston in FT attempts

This should be Ingram’s first 30 point game of the season. Since Jrue is out, Redick, Hart, Melli, and Jackson should all have sub-20 point performances across the board, maybe half of the four topping 20 into mid-20 point games. Lonzo will be back to being a distributor this game and put them in position to light it up. Assuming they all stay consistent like the last 2 games, that could be enough to beat Houston

Ingram - 30ish
    Redick - 22
    Hart - 18
    Jackson - 18
    Melli - 16
    Lonzo - 16
    Favors - 14
    NAW - 10

At least, that’s what I want to see. Williams and Okafor will probably combine any of those point totals with some of the players

At least Ingram has proved all his doubters wrong. Talking about he cant shoot, he's a 3 and d guy, he should come off the bench.

He is legitimately the Pelicans best player right now.

This Rocket team is very good. Having to deal with Westbrook and Harden without Jrue is not going to be easy. Excited to see some of these young guards get some extended minutes tonight. IMO I would like to see Frank on for Jrue and Hart in for JJ while NAW and JJ come light it up off the bench.
    Ball/Frank/Hart/Ingram/Favors
    NAW/JJ/Kenrich/Melli/Okafor

With Zion out and us having to play small ball with Ingram at the 4 we will be getting a very similar small team tonight. Ingram will be on PJ Tucker much of the game I’m sure which should be much easier on him not defending so much in the post against bigger guys like majority of last night. PJ is a very good defender but I expect Ingram to have his way. If we want any chance at winning we need to have good ball movement getting some of our shooters involved while letting Lonzo run the show along with Ingram. We need Ingram to go into score and attack mode tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    At least Ingram has proved all his doubters wrong. Talking about he cant shoot, he's a 3 and d guy, he should come off the bench.

He is legitimately the Pelicans best player right now.

He is legitimately the best young SF in the NBA right now. Kid is just 22 years old and didn’t touch a basketball for 6 months until recently. People really can’t sit here and say this kid isn’t going to be a star because of a few shots a game that don’t agree with their analytics. He doesn’t just do it on offense but also elite potential defensively and right now he has shown to be a very good defender so far. He has flaws obviously but again he just turned 22.. Yes he is an iso player at times but a very good one at that and you can’t name a great that didn’t do this at times. Not a better young compliment imo on the wing to put next to Zion. These 2 are going to be insane together for a long time! Arguably the best under 22 duo in the NBA and easily the most potential.
    God forbid this kid actually have a bad game because his “fans” heads are going to explode.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 10-26-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Also our back court could have the night of their lives. In no shape or form is this back court better without Jrue no matter what happens tonight.

I'm really worried about these early loses and the morale of a young team. Hopefully vets like Reddick and Favors.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    He is legitimately the best young SF in the NBA right now. Kid is just 22 years old and didn’t touch a basketball for 6 months until recently. People really can’t sit here and say this kid isn’t going to be a star because of a few shots a game that don’t agree with their analytics. He doesn’t just do it on offense but also elite potential defensively and right now he has shown to be a very good defender so far. He has flaws obviously but again he just turned 22.. Yes he is an iso player at times but a very good one at that and you can’t name a great that didn’t do this at times. Not a better young compliment imo on the wing to put next to Zion. These 2 are going to be insane together for a long time! Arguably the best under 22 duo in the NBA and easily the most potential.
    God forbid this kid actually have a bad game because his “fans” heads are going to explode.
    Your spot on this dude is going to be a beast

Basketball Guru
    starting lineup might be...ball,,jj,,moore,,,ingram,,,favors.....leaving naw,,Jackson,,hart,,Williams,,Okafor as the backup crew to play as a unit as they were the last 2 games...

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I'll admit, so far I've been absolutely wrong about Ingram.

All-Star
    Watching Rockets vs Bucks game I couldn't help but notice that Harden committed four offensive fouls. Bucks players were really smart in catching him with illegal moves and I do hope that the stuff he constantly had been getting away with is not going to work anymore. If Pels manage to exploit this, our life will me much much easier.

Thread Information