Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: How far along into the season will it be before you give up on Gentry?

Gentry is infamous for starting seasons slow, going on a run against teams that have taken their foot off the gas to survive an 82 game season then struggling to break 500 and often falling far below 500. He is not a good coach. You can scream it into existence all you want. If we are even forced to play half court ball, we implode.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    My huge issue is Gentry seems more concerned with tinkering with the lineup than trying to win with it.
    I'm pretty sure that is the Pelicans organization entire objective this season. Winning would be nice and would sell more tickets but they are tinkering with everything to try and figure out who fits long term.

That's why I'm not really upset with Gentry. This team is so new with so much raw talent that it's going to take time to just figure players out. However, I have a big issue with veteran players who are supposed to be the backbone of this team grossly under performing. Jrue for sure and even JJ to an extent. Favors has been battling injury so it's hard to say with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is the Pelicans organization entire objective this season. Winning would be nice and would sell more tickets but they are tinkering with everything to try and figure out who fits long term.

That's why I'm not really upset with Gentry. This team is so new with so much raw talent that it's going to take time to just figure players out. However, I have a big issue with veteran players who are supposed to be the backbone of this team grossly under performing. Jrue for sure and even JJ to an extent. Favors has been battling injury so it's hard to say with him.
    I agree with trying to tinker with the roster, but I would have switched coaches to one who is good at player development. Like you said, this is a young team, and we need to develop these guys, so why stick them with a coach who has never developed a player (and don’t say AD because AD was a generational talent).

If the goal is to “compete” that’s fine, I just hope the organization isn’t upset when ticket sales dip a bit. People want a winner.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Seriously. Haven't had a game without a highly entertaining element yet. If we're in for 78 more games like this, then sign me up.

Also, I fully expect Redick to find his stroke. He's worked too long and too hard to suddenly forget how to splash from deep.

You dont need to tinker with anything to see who fits long term. Its pretty damn obvious what you have on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I agree with trying to tinker with the roster, but I would have switched coaches to one who is good at player development. Like you said, this is a young team, and we need to develop these guys, so why stick them with a coach who has never developed a player (and don’t say AD because AD was a generational talent).

If the goal is to “compete” that’s fine, I just hope the organization isn’t upset when ticket sales dip a bit. People want a winner.
    I agree. I would have rather brought in a new coach for this all new team. Gentry apparently is in the good graces with the organization though so he gets another year.

I still don't blame him for this but I thought the team needed a fresh start.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    You dont need to tinker with anything to see who fits long term. Its pretty damn obvious what you have on this team.
    Oh I disagree pretty strongly with this. Some things are obvious, like Gentry very quickly benched Moore which we were all saying should happen, but figuring out the guard rotation when completely healthy I think is still up in the air. Heck, I don't think Lonzo should even be a starter next to Jrue with Zion and Favors. The bigs minutes too need to be figured out. How much can Hayes develop and get minutes. Should we resign Favors? Is Hayes ready? Can Zion play next to Favors?

To me there's a lot left to do to figure out exactly who alla fits this season and next.

Oh I disagree pretty strongly with this. Some things are obvious, like Gentry very quickly benched Moore which we were all saying should happen, but figuring out the guard rotation when completely healthy I think is still up in the air. Heck, I don't think Lonzo should even be a starter next to Jrue with Zion and Favors. The bigs minutes too need to be figured out. How much can Hayes develop and get minutes. Should we resign Favors? Is Hayes ready? Can Zion play next to Favors?

To me there's a lot left to do to figure out exactly who alla fits this season and next.
    Lonzo will be starting as long as he's here. They are not going to throw NAW out there like that.

You know what Favors gives you and you know Hayes is the future. Even if you resign him, all you offer is a short 2 year deal at best. There's not a whole lot to figure out there.

Hart is your next wing off the bench. Then NAW and Frank. With NAW getting the shorter minutes.

Hayes is not ready. There is no need to throw him out there often. He can get spot minutes like he did tonight. Big dumb *** Draymond already almost caved his chest in.

I mean really. For someone who has been around this game for so long like Gentry, none of this should be hard to figure out.

I simply don't think those answers are as clear cut as you're saying. You're making a lot of assumptions which might be correct but I don't think the organization wants to operate that way 4 games into the season.

As more games are played, it’s obvious Gentry doesn’t care about defense. If this team can’t defend because the coach doesn’t prioritize containing the opponent’s scoring, then we won’t win any games. We really do need to find a new coach asap if we continue to go out there to just outshoot and not play defense

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfNOLA View Post
    As more games are played, it’s obvious Gentry doesn’t care about defense. If this team can’t defend because the coach doesn’t prioritize containing the opponent’s scoring, then we won’t win any games. We really do need to find a new coach asap if we continue to go out there to just outshoot and not play defense
    I mean, Gentry is an offensive coach. He has nothing to do with defense. That's the entire reason we brought in a veteran defensive coach. It's no different than SP and the Saints. The offense is his baby and the defensive coordinator handles the defense.

Seems like the players already have tuned him out.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I want to see the full roster out there before we dismiss Gentry. Get Zion and Jrue back. Let the team get adjusted. If we stay healthy when they return I believe this Gentry isn’t a good coach conversation will end real quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean, Gentry is an offensive coach. He has nothing to do with defense. That's the entire reason we brought in a veteran defensive coach. It's no different than SP and the Saints. The offense is his baby and the defensive coordinator handles the defense.

Then, Gentry needs to step aside and be an offensive coordinator if he truly doesn't care about defense or game management. He is a head coach. He is supposed to care. Can't just hire a coach to bandaid his apathy for it. Kerr was able to run his offense and play elite defense. Those 2014-2016 Warriors where amazing on defense. We got one of the best defensive coaches in the league, but if we spend all of our time focusing on the offense and trying to score & run instead of anchoring down on defense. How is it not on Gentry?

I'm cool with Gentry, but I don't like this narrative of him being absolve of blame of the defense. His offense isn't complementing the defense. IF he could pace his game better. Those last minute leads would be victories instead of giving opportunities back to opposing teams to steal games. Which has been an issues with Gentry since he got down here. He is good for a comeback win for about every 5 blown leads.

Whatever is being taught on defense isn't registering yet. And when half court defense is solid, rebounding and transition defense fails. They are watching the ball instead of finding someone to block out while the ball is in the air.

Just little things like that aren't registering. And finding the best shot instead of forcing 40 threes consistently would also help.

Might as well start Jaxson and tell BI to go for 30 ppg at this point. We have nothing to lose and Gentry will be given a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Taker597 View Post
    Then, Gentry needs to step aside and be an offensive coordinator if he truly doesn't care about defense or game management. He is a head coach. He is supposed to care. Can't just hire a coach to bandaid his apathy for it. Kerr was able to run his offense and play elite defense. Those 2014-2016 Warriors where amazing on defense. We got one of the best defensive coaches in the league, but if we spend all of our time focusing on the offense and trying to score & run instead of anchoring down on defense. How is it not on Gentry?

I'm cool with Gentry, but I don't like this narrative of him being absolve of blame of the defense. His offense isn't complementing the defense. IF he could pace his game better. Those last minute leads would be victories instead of giving opportunities back to opposing teams to steal games. Which has been an issues with Gentry since he got down here. He is good for a comeback win for about every 5 blown leads.
    Firing Gentry won't change our defense because it's not his defensive scheme. Should we have fired SP for those 7-9 years when we had a garbage defense?

The Pelicans weren't satisfied with their defense and so they brought in an established veteran defensive coordinator to run it this offseason. He's a guy with a proven track record. I simply don't see the correlation between Gentry and the defense 4 games into the season.

You literally HAVE to give time for the new system to be installed and learned. Also where is this idea that we spend all our time focused on offense coming from? Of course they are giving equal time to the defense. How do you even practice basketball with 5v5 without working on defense?

Gentry cares enough about defense to know that he should trust the guy which you say is "one of the best defensive coaches in the league". A head coach's job isn't to try and instill his philosophy exactly to the t. Otherwise what's the point of even having other coaches? Head coaches manage the team and know when to trust their assistants. Unless you are saying our defensive coach was a bad hire and he should be fired 4 games into the season and it's Gentry's fault for wanting him in the first place or not getting rid FO him now, then I simply don't see how this is fixed by firing Gentry or how it's his fault.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 10-29-2019 at 03:07 PM.

I would expect that defense would be the last thing to come for a team that is both very young and also new to each other. Let's see how they are doing defensively after they have had a little time together.

To be fair....

There was a massive amount of anti-gentry sentiment on this forum even 3 years ago. Towards the end of last season, practically everyone was begging for a different coach. Truth be told I think the only reason people gave him another shot around here is because during our amazing off-season Griff came out saying he would be our head coach going into the future.

So to those telling people to lay off and give him a chance, he has had plenty. 5 years at .500 or plus (one of those being exactly .500) in a 15 year career is pretty ordinary. He has already had highly acclaimed assistants since being here too, and still it's the same issues year in year our. Poor game management, highly questionable substitutions or lack of, no defense and bad rebounding

How would feel about moving Gentry to office position and put someone like Trajan Langdon as HC. Someone players could relate too?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I would expect that defense would be the last thing to come for a team that is both very young and also new to each other. Let's see how they are doing defensively after they have had a little time together.
    Totally agree. Especially being in the west. It’s hard to defend the star players in the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by carpo View Post
    To be fair....

There was a massive amount of anti-gentry sentiment on this forum even 3 years ago. Towards the end of last season, practically everyone was begging for a different coach. Truth be told I think the only reason people gave him another shot around here is because during our amazing off-season Griff came out saying he would be our head coach going into the future.

So to those telling people to lay off and give him a chance, he has had plenty. 5 years at .500 or plus (one of those being exactly .500) in a 15 year career is pretty ordinary. He has already had highly acclaimed assistants since being here too, and still it's the same issues year in year our. Poor game management, highly questionable substitutions or lack of, no defense and bad rebounding
    Sure. I was all for replacing him this summer. I just see zero value in replacing him 4 games into the season. It just creates chaos within the team. Make it through this season while developing players then address Gentry in the off season.

Sure. I was all for replacing him this summer. I just see zero value in replacing him 4 games into the season. It just creates chaos within the team. Make it through this season while developing players then address Gentry in the off season.
    Thank you. This is the most logical assessment right now, especially because there has been no indication that the locker room is even remotely unhappy with Gentry as the coach.

Agreed. Gentry is at the very least a guy that will let them play and will make it a positive experience for all of the youngsters. Sometimes players learn a little about themselves by having some freedom and less of the pressure. We do need to start building some success though, so imo Gentry needs the boot in the off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by JJackisangry View Post
    Agreed. Gentry is at the very least a guy that will let them play and will make it a positive experience for all of the youngsters. Sometimes players learn a little about themselves by having some freedom and less of the pressure. We do need to start building some success though, so imo Gentry needs the boot in the off-season.
    Consider this a 3rd endorsement for Mythrol's comment

I was all in favour of firing Gentry back when Demps got ousted, but a lot of people at the time argued that we should keep him just to maintain some degree of continuity through this year. I disagreed, but at the same time, I could see that argument: not stirring the pot too much in a single Summer.

If you were going to fire him, then was the time. If you've left it this long (which we have) it's too late. Just leave it for this year and if he doesn't show the requisite improvements as the roster gets healthier, then get ready to cut him loose next summer.
    Basketball.

Thread Information