Pelicans Report

Thread: Zion Minutes

Zion Minutes

Never mind the starting lineup, I believe that Jahlil Okafor will be a major benefactor for the those minutes lost to the Williamson's injury. Okafor's game offensively, absent the flash and pizazz of ZW's, most mirrors #1's play because of his ability to finish in the paint. His downside is on the other end of the court where defensively he is often MIA. (he also has questionable hands)

On the other hand (no pun intended), Kenrich Williams has the most complete game of all the potential frontcourt options, though his lack of size and girth may prove to be problematic. I think aside from Holliday and possibly Redick, he might have the highest basketball IQ on the team.

Nicolo Melli's game is the polar opposite of ZW's. Offensively, he's a shooter...not a slasher and it remains to be seen whether or not he can compete with other NBA 'Bigs' defensively or not, I really don't feel like his minutes will be appreciably affected one way or another by the Williamson absence.

There could be a trickle down effect, should the team get off to a rough start, that might find some playing time for Jaxson Hayes. He needs court-time, and his ceiling, though exceedingly high, will not be realized anytime this year or perhaps next. So playing him is mixed bag; an opportunity on one hand...resignation on the other.

Ingram could log some minutes at the four which may open up minutes for Hart and Moore at the three, but truth be told, Ingram is too frail to play the PF position.

All other options are either too small to finish in the paint or to match up defensively against the power forwards of this league.

So: I think it will be Okafor and Williams who will be called upon to pick up the slack.

Could a couple of 10 game contracts for 240 pound, Joe Johnson be an option? Just throwing it out there.

No. Joe Johnson just got cut from the urinal-deep Pistons of all teams because he is not good anymore.

Just feed more minutes to Kenny Hustle, a couple more minutes here or there to Melli, and if Favors has to average 35 a night instead of 32 for a few weeks, it's not the end of the world.

It'll be fine, really.
    Basketball.

Thread Information