Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: October 22nd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Toronto Raptors - 0-0

Pelicans October 22nd - New Orleans Pelicans @ Toronto Raptors - 0-0

So it's here. It's been a long, long summer. It's been a summer that's felt even longer than that, because despite the best efforts of the roster we still had, last season ended at the close of January for the New Orleans Pelicans. All of that is behind us, and with this game this franchise moves into a new era.

Sadly, the defining player of this new era won't be on the court in game one: that's Zion. We all know he's been injured, and while he will be totally fine and back before 2020 even hits, it's still a shame that we don't get to watch him open the season. Still, that just means it's on everyone else to pick up the slack and win a couple of games for him, no?

We open the new era taking on the Toronto Raptors on the road. The Raptors, as we all know, are the reigning NBA Champions. Obviously congrats to them, they played a great playoffs, and despite Kawhi and Danny Green leaving, they still have enough on the roster from old hats like Kyle Lowry, Marc Gasol, and Serge Ibaka, to younger faces like OG Anunoby, and the newly extended Pascal Siakam, who was extraordinary in those playoffs and definitely earned his extension. It's great to kick off the season facing them, as difficult as the matchup will be, and I'm happy for them that they managed to win their first ring and that we get to share that moment with them: hopefully that'll be us in the near future.

I don't really walk into this game expecting a win. The Raptors are a very good team, filled with experience: they are literally championship tested, and despite losing Kawhi they have a lot of roster continuity. On the other hand, we are just so much younger, and outside of JJ Redick, we don't really have anyone on the roster that's familiar with deep NBA playoff intensity. And of course, we're on the road, and they're going to fuelled by ring night. And we're down Zion.

So although an upset would obviously be fantastic, and I would love to see it, I'm not betting on it. I would still like to see a fun, competitive matchup where the team shows some of the potential for what they could be by, oh I don't know, January-ish?

For me, I'm just grateful to watch the New Orleans Pelicans play NBA basketball again: games that matter, even if it's only game 1 of the regular season. Hopefully we'll see some promising things. In fact, that excitement is why I'm starting this game thread nearly 11 hours in advance of tip-off. Oh well

Let's go, let's have fun, play hard, and go for the win. #WBD
    Basketball.

Any ideas on starting line-up. Do you think NAW will get any meaningful playing time?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    Any ideas on starting line-up. Do you think NAW will get any meaningful playing time?
    I have heard that Redick will move into the starting lineup, but that it will otherwise remain the same: that is, Lonzo, Redick, Jrue, Ingram, Favors. This is something I'm sure I saw some people discussing on twitter (Will Guillory, I think? bad memory for these things).

If this is the case, then we need a backup guard for Lonzo and for Redick, really, which would make me believe that NAW will see meaningful time unless Gentry is absolutely determined to bet the farm on Frank instead. That part is just speculation though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot172000 View Post
    if it's up to gentry Moore will die on the court

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    I have heard that Redick will move into the starting lineup, but that it will otherwise remain the same: that is, Lonzo, Redick, Jrue, Ingram, Favors. This is something I'm sure I saw some people discussing on twitter (Will Guillory, I think? bad memory for these things).

If this is the case, then we need a backup guard for Lonzo and for Redick, really, which would make me believe that NAW will see meaningful time unless Gentry is absolutely determined to bet the farm on Frank instead. That part is just speculation though.
    I believe your right Lonzo at the 3 and Ingram at the 4.Going to be interesting I also think NAW is the best option for backup PG it makes the most sense to me.

Lonzo is our 1. No question.

I also think the only thing that could keep the Pelicans from winning this game is leaky defense and confusion on offense. The Pelicans have the better players. Toronto really only has Lowry as the go to scorer.

I expect Toronto to be the Eastern version of Houston, but with less playmakers. They will rain 3s all night with Lowry, Vanvleet, Powell, Ibaka, Gasol, with Siakam and Onunoby adding a couple.

I just hope the Pelicans have it together enough mentally to keep it close and they can pull out the W if they do.

Excited! I think the Pelicans can rain on the parade here. I’m excited to see NAW against Van Fleet. I also hope Ja has a good showing tonight..as their front court can tell us a lot about where he’s at physically this year.

If Jrue wants to become a MVP type player he must pull this team from the beginning of the season. Today's first step is Victory! Let's do it for Zion guys!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

I also think the only thing that could keep the Pelicans from winning this game is leaky defense and confusion on offense. The Pelicans have the better players. Toronto really only has Lowry as the go to scorer.

I expect Toronto to be the Eastern version of Houston, but with less playmakers. They will rain 3s all night with Lowry, Vanvleet, Powell, Ibaka, Gasol, with Siakam and Onunoby adding a couple.

I just hope the Pelicans have it together enough mentally to keep it close and they can pull out the W if they do.
    The Raptors can go really big with Gasol,Ibaka and Siakam. I think we'll see Favors and Okafor together at times.Should be an interesting game.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post

Think you're massively underrating Siakam, tbh. The dude had near all-star level impact last season, as a two way player, and improved I'm the playoffs in every way except three point shooting. The guy was their second leading scorer after Kawhi and showed improvement all year. He was torching Draymond in the playoffs.

Took Pelicans ML. I feel we run and come out hot.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Like what was said earlier, I am just happy basketball is back. Of course I want as many wins as possible. But I can see this team getting better throughout the season and a lot better next year.

Zion isn't even in this game. Can we please not do this in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicanidae View Post
    Zion isn't even in this game. Can we please not do this in this thread?
    Drinking game! Every time Zion’s name is mentioned on TNT broadcast,Take a shot. Good luck!

If you don’t like the TNT announcers

Quote Originally Posted by 13 - 3 View Post
    Drinking game! Every time Zion’s name is mentioned on TNT broadcast,Take a shot. Good luck!
    Drinking game every time you hear the word "weight."

Which I wont be able to play because...mute.

Man, Shaq cannot let anyone finish a sentence.

On the plus side, he can't really pull the ''ringz!!!'' card on Wade because

1) Wade has 3
    2) Wade won him his 4th

edit: literally as I said this, he brought up Finals MVPs.

Jesus Christ.

Y’all about to see Ingram give it to Skiakim!!

Such great matchups tonight I love it!! Great test game for us.. They don’t have Leonard and we have no Zion

Favors gets the first Pelicans points of the year!

Thread Information